The Gulf Building

i_am_jim

This was the tallest building west of the Mississippi when built and remained tallest in Houston for more than thirty years.

John Allen's (the primary founder of Houston) wife's home was on this location. She's the person who named Houston, Texas.

post-11672-0-96000000-1358832085_thumb.j

Edited by i_am_jim
  • Like 1

Jaclynn Smith's father, Jack Smith had a single chair dental practice on the 5th floor. The 6th floor and below had direct connections to Texas Commerce Bank and GBA (Gulf Building Annex). After Gulf Oil moved out in the early 80's, a major gut and remodal occured. We had to keep service going to this dental office during renovation which was inconveniently located right under a major pipe chase. 

There were pictures of his daughter in the waiting room of course. 

• Like 1

Jaclynn Smith's father, Jack Smith had a single chair dental practice on the 5th floor.

There were pictures of his daughter in the waiting room of course. 

Ha! I also had a picture of Jaclyn Smith in my dorm room in the early '80s. Thirty plus years later she is still a beautiful woman. Even in a still photo you can see the poise, grace, and class people who know her say she has.

Also, the Gulf Building is, and always will be, a delight for my eyes. Thanks for posting i_am_jim.