Extended Backset For Door Knob? Putting A Knob In The Center Of An MCM Door

MarinMod

Hi All,

We are replacing our MCM front door and want to place the door knob on the new door in the middle of the 36" door. Our original knob was only 12" from the edge, so the current hardware won't work. Any ideas where we can find an 18" backset?

Thanks in advance for any help!

We are replacing our MCM front door and want to place the door knob on the new door in the middle of the 36" door. Our original knob was only 12" from the edge, so the current hardware won't work. Any ideas where we can find an 18" backset?

Marin,

I might be able to help you find a manufacture who has this as a stock item or can do a custom fit up. What is the thickness of the door? Would you prefer a knob or a lever? I would guess a knob since that would be more in keeping with an MCM style house. Do you have an image of the knob you prefer?

A 12 inch backset is a bit unusual itself. Is there marking on the existing hardware that indicates who the manufacturer is? This would be helpful because the same manufacturer might also catalog hardware with an 18 inch backset.

Hi Specwriter,

Thank you so much for getting back to me!

Below is the knob by Rejuvenation Hardware - it's a Schlage. I've contacted Schlage and Sargent, neither do an 18" backset.

http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/scout

Fortunately, the hardware I have from the original knob is Schlage, so I can always do a 12" backset if I can't find the 18". The original knob had a regular short backset, then a longer extension that connected both to the short backset and the knob. I am wondering if I can't add in a 5" backset extension (which comes with the knob) to extend to about 18".

The problem with this is finding someone who can bore the hole to 18", I think?

The door is a standard thickness - I don't have the exact measurements but I can get them.

Thanks again!
MarinMod

Below is the knob by Rejuvenation Hardware - it's a Schlage. I've contacted Schlage and Sargent, neither do an 18" backset.

http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/scout

Fortunately, the hardware I have from the original knob is Schlage, so I can always do a 12" backset if I can't find the 18". The original knob had a regular short backset, then a longer extension that connected both to the short backset and the knob. I am wondering if I can't add in a 5" backset extension (which comes with the knob) to extend to about 18".

The problem with this is finding someone who can bore the hole to 18", I think?

The door is a standard thickness - I don't have the exact measurements but I can get them.

Thanks again!

MarinMod

That's good information (especially the image). Most residential exterior doors are 1-3/4 inches thick though that can vary to about 2-1/4 inches. You mentioned that the door was a new one (and custom I assume) so measuring it directly would be the best thing to do.

Let me ask a few of my contacts in the business what can be done. I don't see why an 18 inch backset should be impossible now when it was not unheard of 50 years ago. There were a  few houses in my neighborhood that had centered door knobs back in the '60s and, while they were certainly above average construction they were by no means "high-end."

I should warn you though to expect to pay a price for this item now as it is certainly not common these days and yes, be very careful about who preps the door for the hardware if and when you get it.

• 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to Extended Backset For Door Knob? Putting A Knob In The Center Of An MCM Door

Archived