Dolce Midtown: Multifamily At 210 W. Gray St.

DrLan34

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about 100% sure this is the vacant lot next to Junction Bar on W Gray, bound by Wilson, VIctor, and Bailey.

What does "To request reduced building lines along the street" mean?

I don't see how this could be the location you are saying it is. Looking at Post Phase III from your location I don't understand how downtown would be in the same picture.

I don't see how this could be the location you are saying it is. Looking at Post Phase III from your location I don't understand how downtown would be in the same picture.

Why? Looking east (I think?) on Gray you can see downtown as far as river oaks. You can see the red brick school looking building which is, on the map, behind junction bar. The sign at the "unknown bar" is Junction bars. Unless I'm have a major brain fart I have the correct location. I suppose we could get DrLan to chime in.

What does "To request reduced building lines along the street" mean?

It appears the developer wants to locate the buildings closer to the front lot line than what the current ordinace permits. Perhaps he intends to build something like the type of apartments seen in east coast cities like Boston, New York, and Philadelphia where the front stoop is immediately adjacent to the sidewalk.

why don't they just destroy those row houses. if someone wants to fix them up fine, but as they are now, they are run down shanties, good for fire wood only. I'm not even sure folks in Bombay would live in them.

It would be great if they put something like Post on this land, but I'm not holding out hope. I suspect they will look like Hanover on Gray.

why don't they just destroy those row houses. if someone wants to fix them up fine, but as they are now, they are run down shanties, good for fire wood only. I'm not even sure folks in Bombay would live in them.

It would be great if they put something like Post on this land, but I'm not holding out hope. I suspect they will look like Hanover on Gray.

Agreed. They've got a few nearer the Baptist church that are being "preserved" for now, and that's adequate. Keeping these shotgun houses does nothing to lend history to the neighborhood, it's just holding it back.

4th Ward Redevelopment Authority needs to get their act together . . . I really wonder where most of that money is actually ending up. Street improvements have been a line item in the budget for at least the last two years and nothing but a couple surveys have happened yet.

Word is that this will be a mixed use development with ROB. Retail on bottom, 2-3 parking floors, and 4-5 multifamily apartments on top. Supposedly similar to Post Midtown.

We will see what actually materializes.

Excellent news! If this comes to fruition, everything from Bagby to Taft will be pretty much built out except for the body shop/Baptist church plot. Gray seems to becoming the Main St. of Midtown.

Since 4rth ward redevelopment was brought up can someone please explain to me what's up with all those cheap looking newer constructed homes in 4rth ward that look like they should be in the suburbs ?

I believe those are low income housing. I suspect the owners will sell once their taxes get too high, and they will be demolished and town homes will go up.

They were subsidized by the City of Houston when the HUD/section 8 compound on Allen was reduced in size. Activists wanted to keep the neighborhood "as it was". The homes were built at price points of $52k/72k/92k depending on one's need. Applicants were also given $20k downpayment assistance. The HCAD valuations were frozen for 7 years and the original owners must keep the house for 10 years or payback the down payment assistance on a prorated basis. Valuations starting moving around last year and some properties turned over or went into foreclosure. Not much action on them in the last 12-18 months but some have fought HCAD to keep the values low for now, perhaps until their 10 year down payment period is up. I think the next year will be telling in that regard as many of these homes were built in the 2003-2005 time frame.

Excellent news! If this comes to fruition, everything from Bagby to Taft will be pretty much built out except for the body shop/Baptist church plot. Gray seems to becoming the Main St. of Midtown.

Yeah, they already have retail planned next to cafe Layal and sudden impact as well as the empty lots next to it (until the church) are all up for sale.

Oh yea I forgot about the retail building planned for the empty lot next to Cafe Layal. I haven't heard anything about it in a while so hopefully it is still on board.

I got excited when they put up that fence a long time ago, but it was just a stupid parking fence.

They were subsidized by the City of Houston when the HUD/section 8 compound on Allen was reduced in size. Activists wanted to keep the neighborhood "as it was". The homes were built at price points of $52k/72k/92k depending on one's need. Applicants were also given $20k downpayment assistance. The HCAD valuations were frozen for 7 years and the original owners must keep the house for 10 years or payback the down payment assistance on a prorated basis. Valuations starting moving around last year and some properties turned over or went into foreclosure. Not much action on them in the last 12-18 months but some have fought HCAD to keep the values low for now, perhaps until their 10 year down payment period is up. I think the next year will be telling in that regard as many of these homes were built in the 2003-2005 time frame.

Thanks for informing me, hopefully they will be redeveloped into something more fitting for the area.

Archived