Dolce Midtown: Multifamily At 210 W. Gray St.

DrLan34

I've been out of town, but on Monday all the shotgun houses were still there. Have those been removed? They had taken a few out months ago...

The shotgun houses are still there.  This development includes the empty lot facing Gray (same block as shotgun houses, just opposite side) and the the entire block next Junction.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be interested to see how this turns out still having the shotgun houses right behind as well as backing up to that section 8 complex.  I think it's a bit of a gamble not getting the entire block with the shotgun houses.  I like that this is taking development down Gray, only a few big plots left to have things pretty continuous all the way to Taft though.

That big section 8 complex may suppress development on the west end of the old 4th ward for quite some time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Variance was approved.  Latest design attached.  Seems like we no longer have retail.

There is now 5000 sq ft "Amenity Center - east side" and 1,400 sq ft "Amenity Center - west side" in addition to the apartments...

So they get the variance, then change the design? Lovely bait-and-switch. I was all for it when I thought it was going to actually add to the neighborhood, now it's a crock. We hardly need another mega-apartment complex here. Guess I'm going to have to hope that Hardy Yards finally develops nicely, and they don't end up taking my corner lot when they widen Burnett. Otherwise I'm out of luck for having a house near a nice pedestrian area in Houston.

What are you talking about. If you moved in here, you'd be walking distance away from one of the most active night life's in this city along Bagby. Of course I would prefer retail but would you prefer the shotgun homes that are falling apart? I'll take this development anyday. Retail will follow.

Honestly it would be nice to have retail on EVERY building, but lets be honest not every development (especially one of this size) needs a whole lot of retail. Not to mention this is very close to those nice developments on Gray and Bagby and its about a 15-20min walk to downtown.

What are you talking about. If you moved in here, you'd be walking distance away from one of the most active night life's in this city along Bagby. Of course I would prefer retail but would you prefer the shotgun homes that are falling apart? I'll take this development anyday. Retail will follow.

I do live there, two blocks up the street on Bailey, next to Victory Apartments.  I was hoping we'd end up with a good strip of retail from here down to Bagby. I thought that mixed use at Dolce Living might put an end point on the development around the curve on Gray, increasing the chances of mixed-use re-development in between to connect them.  Is it too much to ask of Houston to come up with one area where you can go more than 2 blocks without running out of retail?

Hopefully whoever takes over the block with the check cashing store and "Buddhist temple" will put in mixed use, at least.

I do live there, two blocks up the street on Bailey, next to Victory Apartments.  I was hoping we'd end up with a good strip of retail from here down to Bagby. I thought that mixed use at Dolce Living might put an end point on the development around the curve on Gray, increasing the chances of mixed-use re-development in between to connect them.  Is it too much to ask of Houston to come up with one area where you can go more than 2 blocks without running out of retail?

Hopefully whoever takes over the block with the check cashing store and "Buddhist temple" will put in mixed use, at least.

Welcome to the forum. Always good to have more people who know what an urban neighborhood should look like.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived