DrLan34

Dolce Living coming to Midtown Houston - West Gray at Wilson

1 minute ago, cspwal said:

Two construction workers!  They've doubled their workforce!

Don't get too excited... I think they may have just been the taco truck employees installing a new vent duct on the truck's roof. 

• Like 4

They moved the fence in and the sidewalk is accessible to the public. Used it a few times last weekend, didn't see any progress on the site worth taking pics of...

• Like 1

Hard to believe but I actually got photographic evidence of some work being done to finish/demolish this project in someone's lifetime. Not sure if they were adding to the structure or removing from it.

6zF0i8z.jpg 

j3FscEj.jpg

• Like 7

Lawsuit filed today by Total Site Inc. against Dolce Living Investments LLC; DLC at Midtown LLC; Ivor Krivor; Ruslan Krivoruchko; John Zagst; Dayle Middleton; Jonathan Coldea, Florida residents:  "Defendants owe plaintiff more than $1.1 million for water mitigation equipment and installation services."

Pretty sure this will not be finished anytime soon. I live down the street and it’s a ghost town. Alta West Gray will be finished before this will be. 

• Like 3

Wow - this board has been pretty hard on long construction projects. This thread was started in 2013, they need to call one of those express funding places and get a predatory loan to get this built and delivered. Certainly renters will help drive some ROI as it sits 70% done it's insane.

• Like 2

Dolce in the background. Alta topped off in the way background. Much more important (and already open!) development in the foreground. 

1D874D16-9EF0-4964-8705-4C70FAB1CBC5.thumb.jpeg.18939f321a919dc7a0c5946a8104c180.jpeg

Edited by skwatra
  • Like 3

On 1/8/2018 at 1:56 PM, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

Wow - this board has been pretty hard on long construction projects. This thread was started in 2013, they need to call one of those express funding places and get a predatory loan to get this built and delivered. Certainly renters will help drive some ROI as it sits 70% done it's insane.

They have every incentive to finish as soon as possible ... how have they not defaulted?

• Like 1

Can the City of Houston sue the developer for keeping Bailey St closed? Combined with the Genesee St construction, it's difficult to get out of 4th ward going south.

Is there precedent for such action? Even if the developer is deadbeat, that property is worth nearly $25 million (see 2 entries for 180 W GRAY ST on hcad.org). The community deserves financial compensation for lost time and added inconvenience.

• Like 5

Just closed on a house near this development. I walked by and two guys were working on the eastern-most building. The western most had one security guard walking around. There are multiple windows broken out, drywall that has been vandalized, graffiti, and ruined plaster. I guess I get to watch this go on for a while now.

• Sad 2

On 6/6/2018 at 1:03 PM, thatguysly said:

Just closed on a house near this development. I walked by and two guys were working on the eastern-most building. The western most had one security guard walking around. There are multiple windows broken out, drywall that has been vandalized, graffiti, and ruined plaster. I guess I get to watch this go on for a while now.

Welcome to the neighborhood, I’m right by Bethel Park

On 6/7/2018 at 6:42 PM, mattyt36 said:

Welcome to the neighborhood, I’m right by Bethel Park

Awesome. I am close to West Webster Park.

In an update, they were delivering a flatbed of drywall this weekend. There were more workers on site as well. Not a full crew but at least 20 instead of the normal 5 or so.

I've been on Bailey in 4th Ward since 2008, and have forgotten what it's like to be able to use my own street. At what point does a "temporary closure" become a permanent closure that would have required a variance?

Even if they ever do finish this boondoggle, anyone want to take odds on these guys repairing the completely destroyed road?

36 minutes ago, DrLan34 said:

Being replayed for mixed use (Residential + Retail)

Are you saying the ground level will be redone for retail use?

How I imagine the Change-order is written:

Scope: Change first floor to retail

Cost: half a million

Schedule: 6 years, with weather days for rain chance over 10 percent. 

Im not up on interpreting these signs, but all it says is "...adjust location of the Skybridge...establish dual building line"

Why does everything think they are going to turn the parking garage levels in to retail?

It also says: 

PROPOSED USE OF PROPERTY IS: Mixed use (Multi-family residential & retail)

That would strongly suggest the development will have some sort of retail portion

They have already mostly built out 6 stories as apartments with two floors of parking underneath (partially under ground i believe). if they make one of these floors retail, could they meet their parking requirements? Also there doesn't seem to be a 'ground' street level floor the way the parking is built. should be interesting if they really are going to make this change...

On 8/31/2018 at 5:00 PM, skwatra said:

They have already mostly built out 6 stories as apartments with two floors of parking underneath (partially under ground i believe). if they make one of these floors retail, could they meet their parking requirements? Also there doesn't seem to be a 'ground' street level floor the way the parking is built. should be interesting if they really are going to make this change...

Agree. I don't see how they could add significant amounts of GFR the way the building is currently constructed.

Also, this is not the phase of a project where you ask for a building line variance. Especially on the W. Gray frontage. It's possible that they want to bump out a little to squeeze in a coffee shop or convenience store off the lobby. But it wouldn't shock me if there were some kind of surveying error, and one of the buildings is a few inches from where it should be, thus violating the building line on the current plat.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, DrLan34 said:

IMG_2229.PNG

If they finally do the right thing, then it was all worth it.

Also, Houston has undergone a sea change since this project began. Just a few years ago, people were still saying GFR wouldn't work in Houston. Now it seems like everything proposed has GFR. If you have the Ginger Man next door to you, it's really a no-brainer.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:38 AM, Angostura said:

Agree. I don't see how they could add significant amounts of GFR the way the building is currently constructed.

Also, this is not the phase of a project where you ask for a building line variance. Especially on the W. Gray frontage. It's possible that they want to bump out a little to squeeze in a coffee shop or convenience store off the lobby. But it wouldn't shock me if there were some kind of surveying error, and one of the buildings is a few inches from where it should be, thus violating the building line on the current plat.

Called it. From the variance request:

The concrete structure of the building itself encroaches approximately 0.25’ or 3” into the 15’ building line along West Gray Avenue in 2 locations – one area on the western block and one area on the eastern block. [...] 

The encroachments were discovered when the owner, DLC at Midtown LLC, contracted Jones|Carter (JC) to perform an ALTA/NSPS Land Title Survey based on the existing, or as-built, conditions of the site during the period March 15-28, 2018. JC processed the field work data on March 29, 2018 through April 4, 2018 and observed encroachments of less than 0.2 feet. JC notified the owner of the encroachments and gathered additional field data to double check what was tied in the field. The encroachments were verified within a standard survey tolerance of 0.04 feet. The initial survey was issued to the lender on April 4, 2018 and after the lender’s review the final survey was issued on May 4, 2018. The applicant initially met with Planning Staff on May 21st to discuss the project and obtain feedback regarding steps to address the encroachment issues. As a result of that meeting and additional email coordination, this variance is being requested to bring the project into compliance, as there is no viable alternative to remove the encroachment.

While in the Camden thread I had posted this. Thought I post it here too.

"Drove past there a few days ago. They have made a lot of progress since switching to a different contractor. Looks like the only thing left is site work and interiors."

• Like 1