Benjamin Hall III to run for mayor

trymahjong

• 3 weeks later...

I could see the concern if he were running for a policy making position such as president. A mayor doesn't make too much policy. Mayors fix potholes. Besides, a master in divinity at least suggests advanced study. It is the ignorant religious freaks like Rick Perry that are the bigger concern.

Frankly, I'm fine with that. Parker's strongarming of the historic districts against the wishes of the affected residents made me turn on her. I'm pretty much a single issue voter now. If Hill promises to amend the HDs to provide an opt out provision, I'll not only vote for him, but campaign for him. If he has Harris County backers, it is more likely that he'll support property rights.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of Harris County types are not fond of Annise.

Lots of City of Houston types are not fond of Annise.  The general condition of the streets has deteriorated immensely under her administration. 

I recently reported a couple of huge potholes to 311 and a week or so later I noticed that a little asphalt was placed in the hole but it certainly was not filled in.  When I called to get an update, I was told the problem had been resolved.  I took a picture of this "fixed" pothole and sent it to her office and all the councilmembers showing how the system is currently working.  Of course the response from the Mayor's office was "public works has 30 days to fix it."   I told them that my work request number has been closed because it supposedly has been fixed per my conversation with public works.  They again responded "public works has 30 days to fix it"   I had to get a couple of councilmembers involved in order to get it resolved.

Lots of City of Houston types are not fond of Annise.  The general condition of the streets has deteriorated immensely under her administration. 

I recently reported a couple of huge potholes to 311 and a week or so later I noticed that a little asphalt was placed in the hole but it certainly was not filled in.  When I called to get an update, I was told the problem had been resolved.  I took a picture of this "fixed" pothole and sent it to her office and all the councilmembers showing how the system is currently working.  Of course the response from the Mayor's office was "public works has 30 days to fix it."   I told them that my work request number has been closed because it supposedly has been fixed per my conversation with public works.  They again responded "public works has 30 days to fix it"   I had to get a couple of councilmembers involved in order to get it resolved.

Yeah, I need to hop on my bicycle and do some riding around near my neighborhood and submit some shots via the 311 app.

I probably won't be as persistent as you, or at least not take the methods you have, I'll just resubmit every 30 days :)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

His commercial with his rich wife was so stupid!  She said we never had a honeymoon vacation!  Please that was so condescending.   

Guess I've missed that one.  I've only seen the ones where he's so smug and cocky and alone.   Mind, I'm not a fan of Parker's but that guy is scary.  If elected, there would be oversight but crooks can figure ways to get around the rules.

And frankly, I wonder what the real story is about his property taxes.  I mean, if he's got a pot of money, why not pay and avoid penalties.

Guess I've missed that one. I've only seen the ones where he's so smug and cocky and alone. Mind, I'm not a fan of Parker's but that guy is scary. If elected, there would be oversight but crooks can figure ways to get around the rules.

And frankly, I wonder what the real story is about his property taxes. I mean, if he's got a pot of money, why not pay and avoid penalties.

They overcharged him. He disputed and won.

Oh so she's one THOSE nuts, eh? Why not Zeus or Poseidon?

She should automatically be disqualified.

And yet, when people vote against Parker on the sole basis that she's a lesbian (not policies), they're called bigots and homophobes. Now, it's not that they're right, but how is beliefs like as seen above all that different?

And yet, when people vote against Parker on the sole basis that she's a lesbian (not policies), they're called bigots and homophobes. Now, it's not that they're right, but how is beliefs like as seen above all that different?

They are bigots, and they are homophobes.

They are bigots, and they are homophobes.

Yes, but that's missing the point. The point I was trying to make is that dismissing someone on the basis of religion alone is as narrow-minded as dismissing someone on the basis of sexual orientation alone and vice versa. You could argue (either way) about what this means to their character, though.

Is Victoria Lane qualified to be a mayor? Obviously not, as she only got barely more than 1% of the vote, but her faith doesn't "automatically disqualify" her or some such.

The point I was trying to make is that dismissing someone on the basis of religion alone is as narrow-minded as dismissing someone on the basis of sexual orientation alone and vice versa. You could argue (either way) about what this means to their character, though.

But a person's religion is their choice while what gender(s) they're attracted to is usually something they were born with. Are all religions created equal? Maybe some religions have positions that would be cause for concern for a person wishing to hold public office, especially if the person is campaigning on religious slogans.

But a person's religion is their choice while what gender(s) they're attracted to is usually something they were born with.

That's debatable, but we're not here to discuss that.

Are all religions created equal? Maybe some religions have positions that would be cause for concern for a person wishing to hold public office, especially if the person is campaigning on religious slogans.

That would be cause for concern. It's worth noting that Parker did not bank her entire campaign on her being a lesbian, and no one wants a city run like a theocracy.

I think your point is more that she's basing her campaign around her religion, not necessarily her religion in and of itself (but it sounded a bit like that way). Carry on, I suppose. 

Archived