Social Security Administration At 3100 Smith St.

TonyM

Love how the article states that their services were needed in the neighborhood because their was always a line out the door. I always scratched my head about the wisdom of that location, but from a landlords perspective I'm sure it made total sense. I wonder what changed to make the landlord rethink leasing to someone who always pays their bills. (Besides more $$$$)

Love how the article states that their services were needed in the neighborhood because their was always a line out the door.

Like most gov't building, "need" of a given location is always a function of how many locations exist. This being the only SSA office around it forces anyone within a certain proximity to go there.

I think this area, pre-Midtown, probably did benefit from the wealth of social services that were (and still linger) in the area. However, given the redevelopment of Midtown it seems prudent to relocate some of those services to the neighborhoods of the people they are most likely to service. And let's be honest, an area of largely affluent 25-40 year olds isn't the target service demographic of the SSA.

Now if only that Greyhound station would follow suit . . .

• Like 3

Was the Route 66 Cafe any good? Don't know the history - can someone give me the history of the other side of Main St. - I mean when did it all close up? After light rail? Long before? There is a lot of potential especially 1-3 blocks away from Main East of Tracks. Don't know the history - dont want to get to side-tracked can start a new topic if need be. Grazie!

• 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Social Security Administration At 3100 Smith St.