What's the last movie that was set in Houston?

samagon

So what's the last movie that was set it Houston? Not filmed here, but was set here, or had major plot points that centered around Houston. Popular films, not random, or documentary films.

Most people know movies like Robocop 2, which featured the Houston skyline very prominently in some of the shots, or Rushmore which was also filmed in Houston. The Chase, which used parts of BW8.

For movies set in Houston, or that had a large portion of the movie set in Houston, I can't think of that many?

Bad News Bears is all that comes to mind of having a large portion of the film set in Houston.

Can anyone else think of any?

Tree of Life had shots here but either never said they were in Houston or said they were somewhere else.

From what I remember in Tree of Life... I thought they briefly mentioned he worked in Houston (can't quite remember though). I thought the movie itself was bad, but the shots of Houston in it are amazing. The Downtown shots (and corresponding office scenes) really blew me away. I had no clue those are actual offices people here in town get to work at. I wish my conference room had the view they showed.

Puncture and Tree of Life (as mentioned before) are the two that jump to mind. You can review all the movies filmed in Houston here:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?locations=Houston,%20Texas,%20USA&sort=year,desc

Crazy Heart has scenes that are supposedly set in Houston, but were not actually filmed here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1263670/locations

Don't trust IMDB to be authoritative. Crazy Heart most definitely filmed some scenes in Houston. You can see Jones Plaza and various other places. The supposed mall in Houston wasn't filmed in Houston, though, that's true.

Yeah, I would say Puncture. Playing House filmed in Houston, and I don't think they ever specified for or against it being in Houston.

• 1 year later...

They have Lamar Street on the East side closed down right now filming something....they are filming around a black S-Class Mercedes -- lots of people, a few cameras, and a tent with food for the crew...

Luxury car commercials are common in 4 places on the continent. Los Angeles, Vancouver, New York, and Houston.

There was a new movie the other day on Lifetime (not that I watch Lifetime) called The Trip to Bountiful. It was set in Houston but filmed in Atlanta. Go figure.

The last episode of the TV show Scandal had a few scenes that where supposed to be set in Houston. They showed the skyline but once they got to the scene the it was hilly and the people were shooting guns and very redneckish (fighting for their gun rights).

Someone was filming a Kia commercial along 3-4 blocks of Sunset Blvd. the other day. People on Greenbrier and Shepherd weren't too happy when the cops would stop traffic for 10 minutes or so to let the car drive uninterrupted. 

Archived