Hanover Southampton: Multifamily At 5122 Morningside Dr.

This is quickly becoming one of the coolest new construction tech. I have an uncle who works for Gowan Inc. and he told me that they use drones like this all the time now. You got a problem with a certain area of the building, but it might be to much to get someone up there....use the drone. Pretty neat stuff. Makes for a great marketing tool as well.

• 3 weeks later...

This is quickly becoming one of the coolest new construction tech. I have an uncle who works for Gowan Inc. and he told me that they use drones like this all the time now.

The FAA's a bit miffed, though. It's the Wild West for drone operations out there, and people are bouncing them off buildings, airplanes and other things. If another one hits the Seattle Space Needle, you might see a crackdown. :blink:

Edited by toxtethogrady

The FAA's a bit miffed, though. It's the Wild West for drone operations out there, and people are bouncing them off buildings, airplanes and other things. If another one hits the Seattle Space Needle, you might see a crackdown. :blink:

Seventy years ago we were promised (by Mechanix Illustrated perhaps) that we would all be traveling in flying cars by now. Can you imagine if that became true!? Those of you who have a pilots license (even a private, single engine, non-instrument rated one) can appreciate the difference between what that required and what getting a Class C drivers license requires.

I've seen some pretty adept* private drone "pilots" lately but I also know many of them had a few mishaps (or more) before they became proficient. I wonder when it will get to the point that some sort of licensing to control a drone will be required.

*Note my previous comment above.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he is asking about the rectangular greyish bldg. Which is between the pub and Benjis. There is an enclosed small parking lot on the front side. I will find out what it is. I work just a few streets over. I think it should be converted into the small grocery store they need in the village. It would be in the perfect spot with all of the residential within a few blocks. How convenient would that be to walk next door for your groceries.

I think he is asking about the rectangular greyish bldg. Which is between the pub and Benjis. There is an enclosed small parking lot on the front side. I will find out what it is. I work just a few streets over. I think it should be converted into the small grocery store they need in the village. It would be in the perfect spot with all of the residential within a few blocks. How convenient would that be to walk next door for your groceries.

Yes, that's the one I was talking about

Is it just me, or is this project going up rather slowly?

It's not just you. The land has been clear for awhile now. I suppose Hanover has their hands full between 3400 Montrose, the Post Oak tower, the West U apartment complex, and this project (not mention the recently announced tower on Kirby). I wonder if their resources to pay for construction financing have been stretched and if this is starting to go over now that the Post Oak project is finishing up.

It's not just you. The land has been clear for awhile now. I suppose Hanover has their hands full between 3400 Montrose, the Post Oak tower, the West U apartment complex, and this project (not mention the recently announced tower on Kirby). I wonder if their resources to pay for construction financing have been stretched and if this is starting to go over now that the Post Oak project is finishing up.

Or perhaps it's just a manifestation of the competition for trades and materials.

Speaking of which, there's a tall crane over by the Medical Center. Which project is that?

the tall crane in the pic is for the new MD Anderson building called 'The Pavilion'. Bertner @ Bates.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/print-edition/2012/07/06/md-anderson-embarks-on-198m.html?ana=fbk

http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/guide-to-md-anderson/getting-here/construction.html

Edited by LarryDierker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

they really don't need any. Its all around them. This is the most walkable urban setting in all of Houston. I work around the corner and walk to lunch all of the time. All they need is a grocery store and a park and it would be easy to live there and not own a car. I think this is great project. Unlike downtown which has very little surface retail this area is all about ground floor retail.

they really don't need any. Its all around them. This is the most walkable urban setting in all of Houston. I work around the corner and walk to lunch all of the time. All they need is a grocery store and a park and it would be easy to live there and not own a car. I think this is great project. Unlike downtown which has very little surface retail this area is all about ground floor retail.

I hear you. But damn is it annoying to walk around there. It is so difficult with all the drivers and the lack of good sidewalks. I would remove the parking lots completely

• Like 1

I am loving the look of this place so far and don't mind at all that there isn't ground floor retail. There's plenty of retail all over the place in the general vicinity.

Also, I hope developers learn how to make a successful mixed use project. Projects that face and interact with the streets and sidewalks (Hanover Rice Village) are FAR superior to those that turn their back on public life and face inward (West Ave and Green Street).

I love seeing Coppa, Punk's, Cyclone Anaya's, Cloud Ten, Fellini, and Zoe's Kitchen with bustling patio life embracing the sidewalk. It makes walking from my house to the Village so much more pleasant.

• Like 4

KinkaidAlum,

I agree wholeheartedly.

We used to live in the neighborhood, and would walk to the Rice grocery store and Alfred's and the five & dime. Our kids loved that place. The Village is truly a great place. If it wasn't for the traffic it would be better, but I love the mix of residential, retail and bars and restaurants. Half price books is great! Build a park and grocery store. The owner of Benji's is also the heir to grocer supply and I keep meaning to ask him to consider opening a small grocery store like used to be in West U. j.M.H, I think it was called.

• Like 1