Hanover Southampton: Multifamily At 5122 Morningside Dr.

Wow, this is impressive what is going on. When is 1717 going to break ground?!

A JANUARY newsletter from The Southampton Civic Club informs members that Hanover, building the mixed-use midrisepictured above, has purchased additional property on Morningside in Rice Village “just north” of the current construction site. The newsletter states that Hanover is planning to begin Phase II: a 12-story, 200-unit residential building withno retail. The newsletter’s language suggests that the property is bound by Morningside, Tangley, Dunstan, and Kelvin; that’s where the Village Commons, the Tangley Building, the Village Apartments, and Garden Gate are — at least for now.

http://swamplot.com/...ing/2013-01-11/

Map location: https://www.google.c...06bfc34b5bf012f

Does anyone have a copy of that newsletter?

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Super nice looking project. Love the buildings themselves. However, how are they going to get Morningside to look like that?

Also, I do feel sorry for the folks owning the high $$ houses directly across the street. One has a pool in the front yard that will now have zero privacy. Not surprising that 2 have come on the market in the last month... trying to unload to unsuspecting buyers I suppose?

• Like 1

Super nice looking project. Love the buildings themselves. However, how are they going to get Morningside to look like that?

Also, I do feel sorry for the folks owning the high $$ houses directly across the street. One has a pool in the front yard that will now have zero privacy. Not surprising that 2 have come on the market in the last month... trying to unload to unsuspecting buyers I suppose?

I think we have taken the privacy concerns too far. I live in a two story town home with a row of single family homes lined behind my home. I can see in all their back yards and inside their homes if they were ever to open their blinds.

Even people who live in high rises and use their own pool have no privacy as their building neighbors can see them as well.

It seems we bring up privacy concerns when a multifamily buildings goes up next to single family.

• Like 1

My comment was less about privacy concerns and more about how 50% of the homes directly across the street from this proposal are now on the market.

Say what you will, but people who own single family homes likely do not want a 12 story building shadowing them.

• Like 1

My comment was less about privacy concerns and more about how 50% of the homes directly across the street from this proposal are now on the market.

Say what you will, but people who own single family homes likely do not want a 12 story building shadowing them.

If you look at the sun paths in Houston, the shadows will generally only affect the houses on the opposite side of Morningside Dr in the late afternoon. It will most likely affect areas to the north. It will have larger shadows in the winter time, due to the sun being closer to the horizon. 

• 2 months later...

demo.jpg

The Village Apartments near Rice Village has seen its last days. It — and the Garden Gate Nursery property  – are being demolished for a 12-story apartment building.

Hanover Co. bought the properties and is developing the project. The company recently built a 380-unit complex nearby at 2455 Dunstan called Hanover Rice Village. The average-size unit — 970 square feet — rents for more than $2,300 per month.

Units in the new building will average around 1,400 square feet, Hanover’s David Ott Jr. said earlier this year.

“It generally will be geared toward the more mature renter coming out of large homes in the neighborhood. We’ve seen great demand from residents of Southampton wanting to sell their homes and stay in the area as a renter,” he said.

demo3.jpg

demo2.jpg

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/07/apartments-near-rice-village-being-razed/#14184-2

• Like 2

Hanover has earned some goodwill from the neighborhood/Rice Village community on Phase 1.  It's a quality project that should age well.  The hope is that Phase II continues with that theme.  It will also be interesting to see if this tower beats the Ashby High Rise to market.  I'm guessing they will be in direct competition for a number of tenants.