7-eleven coming back to Houston

I don't remember them in Houston. Where were their locations?

7-11 was born in Houston, Southland Corp. was Houston based. 7-11 started as an ice company that started selling bread and milk then went on to selling cigarettes. I worked for 7-11 my jr. year of high school back in 1968. 7-11 was the 1st convenance store chain in Houston.

I believe the Southland Corporation had its origins in Dallas in the late 1920's. I do remember some 7-11 stores in Houston but remember better the U-tote-M stores since that was what was closest to my house when I was growing up. Circle K bought the U-tote-M chain in 1983.

7-11 was born in Houston, Southland Corp. was Houston based. 7-11 started as an ice company that started selling bread and milk then went on to selling cigarettes. I worked for 7-11 my jr. year of high school back in 1968. 7-11 was the 1st convenance store chain in Houston.

7-Eleven started in Dallas (the first location was in Oak Cliff). The company is headquartered in One Arts Plaza.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Eleven

They have been expanding in Dallas as well and experimenting with urban stores (5 new stores in downtown Dallas in the past 3 years).

False.

Oh well guess I've slept since then. I worked for 7-11 for 2 years and started when I was 17 years old and that was like 44 years ago. I was what they called an off-man, which ment when a store manager had a day off I ran the store like a manager. I worked in lots of stores all over the southwest part of Houston. Good part about being the off-man was I had the weekends off.

• 3 months later...

The lineage as I remember goes: 7-Eleven (Houston market area) was sold to NCS (National Convenience Stores), parent company of Stop-N-Go. Some stores were sold/closed by NCS due to overlap and the rest were rebranded Stop-N-Go. NCS was aquired or sold the stores to Diamond Shamrock, which once again sold/closed overlaping stores, which were next changed over, merged or sold to the currently known Valero. I don't have the particular dates though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There are 2 rebranded Speedy Stops (one off W Little York/SH6 and SH349/Grant Rd) which 7-Eleven now owns but they now have TETCO signage (the changeover occurred last week)...

Another note - Landmark Industries is the new NCS (National Convenience Stores) which owns Timewise...

It's SH249, but yeah - this totally failed. I was expecting the stores to rebrand to 7-Eleven, not "TETCO".

7-Eleven purchased the retail assets of TETCO in late 2012 where the ATX and SA locations were rebranded - the SA locations are located in the northern San Antonio metro area incl. New Braunfels along with the newly-rebranded Exxon Tigermarkets in ATX once part of the CL Thomas business portfolio. I was in ATX during the past few weeks working a photo gig where a TETCO off Guadalupe north of UT had its signage ripped off but one former Speedy Stop (SH71/FM973 east of ABIA Airport) was rebranded as a TETCO since 7-Eleven now owns the TETCO naming rights - I went 2 the former Speedy Stop off the Grand Parkway/New Territory and came across a Slurpee-badged machine but no Slurpee cups. Here's the 7-Eleven assets based in H-town as of November 2013:

6102 Highway 6 North

110 1st st Humble TX (off US59)

5700 New Territory Blvd Sugar Land (off SH99/GPKWY)

2480 S Loop 35 Alvin, TX

305 Meyer Street Sealy, TX

Around H-town, there is an overload of Landmark Industries' retail assets and there are 3 Timewises (45/Sawdust/Rayford) in the same location. The only way if the 7-Eleven signage will return is if the company will acquire an H-town retail asset still in operation eg. Sunnys Food Store - the rest (Timewise, CST Brands (Valero), Star Stop) are overpopulated.

The only way 2 get a Slurpee cup is from a Cinemark Theatres location in the Houston Metro area - 7-Eleven signed the business agreement in 2011...

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up such an old topic but, here we are about a year later since the news that 7-eleven was to return to Houston, so, are there any updates?  

Thanks for any information

Based on the stores being rebranded "TETCO" and not 7-Eleven I would still say this is a total non-starter, no 7-Eleven stores coming back to Texas for now.

Year after 7-Eleven announced return to Houston, here's why you don't see any

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Year-after-7-Eleven-announced-return-to-Houston-5169302.php?cmpid=hpfc

"One reason it's taking a while to switch the new stores to 7-Elevens, Chabris said, is that the company, which is America's largest convenience store chain, is working through a long list of recent acquisitions.

From 2011 through 2013, 7-Eleven bought "hundreds and hundreds" of existing properties, mostly in the eastern half of the United States, including Texas, Chabris said."

I didn't know Texas was in the eastern half of the US. :P

• 6 months later...

Well, as suggested before, the TETCO stores do seem to be converting--there are Slurpee machines locally and other 7-Eleven products but no Slurpee cups (while holding less thanks to regular drink cups, they're dirt-cheap because they charge as fountain drinks). It's definitely still on. Of course, some Speedy Stop signs I've seen (Highway 6 and 290 the last time I checked) haven't converted to TETCO for whatever reason. 

Probably why they're waiting for the full conversion is it also involves swapping out brands on the canopies and pumps nowadays, not just new signage on the convenience stores.

Archived