Auditorium Hotel At 701 Texas Ave.

i_am_jim

The Auditorium Hotel was built in 1926 for Houston investor Michele DeGeorge (1850-1927), who came to the United States from Italy in 1881. Designed by architect Joseph Finger (1887-1953), the building features Italian renaissance detailing in the upper stories. Its location in the center of Houston's theater district and its association with the now-razed city auditorium have contributed to its significance as a Houston landmark during the city's commercial development.

post-11672-0-35112700-1357336644_thumb.j

If I'm not mistaken the Auditorium hotel was renovated and converted to the Lancaster in the 1970s. Are you thinking of the Rice Hotel on Texas?

It might have been.

In 2008 I worked at the Hard Rock and remember seeing a building draped as if it was being remodeled heading down in that direction on Texas. I guess Lancaster might have been too close for my point of view, and if Rice was remodeled at that time then I am sure you are right.

Thanks for letting me know

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I don't want to post the whole thing b/c copyright, but here are some highlights

Houston's Lancaster Hotel, which opened in 1926 and is registered as a Texas Historic Landmark, is undergoing a multimillion-dollar renovation after flooding significantly during Hurricane Harvey.

Jay Shinn and Matthew Newton, an uncle-nephew duo based in Dallas, bought the Lancaster Hotel at 701 Texas Ave. in July 2017 from Charles Lusk, a descendant of the hotel's original development team. Shinn and Newton are currently underway on a top-to-bottom renovation of the Lancaster Hotel that'll wrap up in August.

Cadwallader Design was the architect for the renovations. ... The renovated hotel will boast a redesigned lobby, guest rooms, a new restaurant and bar, an outdoor mezzanine, an espresso bar and a new cardio fitness studio.

More than 40 pieces of contemporary art will be displayed in the hotel's public spaces, and the work of more than 60 artists will be exhibited in the guest rooms,

The hotel's 93 guest rooms have gone for roughly $200 per night in recent years; after the renovation, they'll be listed around $300 per night, Shinn and Newton said.

In 2013, the hotel underwent a $10 million renovation that brought new technology and fresh looks to the hotel's common areas. Before that, the hotel had been significantly renovated in 1983. Its 200 guest rooms were whittled down to 93 guest rooms and it was rebranded from the Auditorium Hotel – a nod to the old City Auditorium theater nearby – into the Lancaster Hotel.

The hotel's basement took on 17 feet of water and its lobby was flooded with two feet of water. The hotel has been closed since Harvey. 

• 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Auditorium Hotel At 701 Texas Ave.

Archived