Everyone loves Houston now

samagon

That's a really neat article: after all, Houston is a huge city, makes sense it would be world class in many aspects, especially for people who may never have even visited the States, let alone Texas.

However, I wouldn't call Market Street in The Woodlands "artsy". Montrose? Yes. The Woodlands? No.

I thought it was a good article, I would have liked to see something more than just recommendations to trendy sets, but real Houston staples, and maybe some of the great deals you can get.

Example would be something like the pork chop Wednesdays at Perry's steakhouse ($10 for a huge and really amazingly cooked pork chop). Or hit up a hillside viewing of whatever is playing at the Miller Outdoor Theater. Things that a real Houstonian knows about and something that makes our city really unique and special.

On the other hand, I'm actually disappointed in a lot of these articles, it's like only now people who would never recommend or consider Houston are finally doing so, and it's almost a thing of "wow, Houston is an amazing market, we better talk good about them before other people do and we're late to the game!". I'm sure in a year or two (if it keeps going) it will start to feel like people are just "Me too". I'm such a cynic!

I wouldn't feel overly excited. This article could have been very easily and quickly written without the benefit of any such business trip using nothing but recent press releases and a quick google.

Still, I agree it's nice to see a write-up without the usual attitude or disclaimer.

I actually saw a British travel show on either PBS or the BBC channel a couple of weeks ago that was very similar. Might have come from the same source, although during the whole show they kept talking about our Metro Rail. If you had never been to Houston you would probably think we have trains running all over the city.

In response to the Houston Press article (which has some obvious satire in there), the ship channel is actually kind of cool (though definitely filthy), Northwest Mall DOES have an anchor now (an antique mall, which isn't exactly a department store, but it IS something), etc.

Ok, they could have put together a better list...

Inside of the Astrodome

- Isn't the Dome locked? Wouldn't you need to break in or get a special tour just to see the inside, even if you were really, really interested?

The drive from Bush Intercontinental Airport to downtown

- Every city has it's blight, Houston's no exception. That said, not every vistor that comes here is going to downtown.

Ship Channel

- Now exactly how many visitors are even tempted to visit the ship channel? There are probably some good dive bars around there, ports are ususally filled with them, but it's not really on anybody's itinerary.

Giant Neon Cross

- Is someone feeling a little guilty?

The Astros

- Ok...I'll give them that one.

Notrthwest Mall

- I'm sure we can come up with a better example (or several) of urban blight. Sooner or later it will be bulldozed and built into something else. That's the Houston way.

Any bayou that isn't Buffalo between downtown and Memorial Park

- I realize we're the Bayou City, but does anyone really take that seriously. Are visitors flocking here to see our flood control system?

Come on Press...you can do better. How about these instead...we don't want visitors seeing...

"Stop the Ashby High Rise" signs. All those NIMBY signs along Bissonet (and elsewhere) depicting the Ashby High Rise as some godzilla-like building that is going to devour Houston. Seriously, it's just another tall building in a city filled with them.

Metro's light rail, particularly in the med center. How many visitors have had a rude or near-rude encounter with a train there?

The corner of Shepard and West Grey. This isn't Seattle, do we really need 3 Starbucks (including the one in the B&N) on that corner? Plus you can get coffee at La Madelline and several other places withing a stone's thow, literally. And none of them is an IHOP, which has some of the best coffee anyway.

Overpriced and overrated inner-loop restaurants. Houston's great cuisine is served in little mom and pop, hole-in-the-wall places by folks who, for the most part, don't have English as their mother tongue. And they don't have celebrity credentials or a degree in food service. And it's cheap. And it's mostly outside the loop.

Swarms of mosquitoes. 'nuff said.

The drive from Bush Intercontinental Airport to downtown

- Every city has it's blight, Houston's no exception.  That said, not every vistor that comes here is going to downtown.

It's unavoidable, and driving through US-290 isn't much better. Plus, if you WERE going to downtown, blight shouldn't surprise you. Actually, although Houston's downtown isn't what I'd call blighted (well, at least until Macy's downtown closes), you shouldn't get your hopes up.

Ship Channel

- Now exactly how many visitors are even tempted to visit the ship channel?  There are probably some good dive bars around there, ports are ususally filled with them, but it's not really on anybody's itinerary.

Actually, I went on a ship channel tour the year before last, and it is interesting, knowing that it is hard to get to and most definitely not a touristy part of town, you do have to get reservations, it's not a cruise, etc.

There's free soda (generic though IIRC), it is kind of cool, and while obviously polluted, it's not like it's an open sewer.

Metro's light rail, particularly in the med center.  How many visitors have had a rude or near-rude encounter with a train there?

Same trip: I remember this high-pitched alert while on the red part of the concrete after disembarking the Metro. As it turns out, there's very little clearance between the Metro and that red concrete part.

It's unavoidable, and driving through US-290 isn't much better. Plus, if you WERE going to downtown, blight shouldn't surprise you. Actually, although Houston's downtown isn't what I'd call blighted (well, at least until Macy's downtown closes), you shouldn't get your hopes up.

Actually, I went on a ship channel tour the year before last, and it is interesting, knowing that it is hard to get to and most definitely not a touristy part of town, you do have to get reservations, it's not a cruise, etc.

There's free soda (generic though IIRC), it is kind of cool, and while obviously polluted, it's not like it's an open sewer.

Same trip: I remember this high-pitched alert while on the red part of the concrete after disembarking the Metro. As it turns out, there's very little clearance between the Metro and that red concrete part.

If they are traveling into downtown from IAH, they should be taking 59, not 45, it irks me every time someone (especially people who live here) keep saying that the only way to get from IAH to downtown is to travel 45. it is not quicker. 59 is a much better alternate. plus, there isn't blight on 59, just the super large dance clubs up by 59 and old humble road, and then the 24 hour news palace as well.

It's been a long time since I've taken the ship channel tour, I need to talk my friends into doing this with me early this spring, if possible. as I recall from when I did it as a kid, it was fascinating.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived