Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

No.  You are not confused.  (Except perhaps the 29 story part)  An affiliate of Hilcorp owns the property.  Rumor was that Hilcorp had shown its employees renderings of a "regular looking office building over 20 stories high."   We were also told here that it would be 23 stories, elliptical shaped.   Take the rumors for what they are worth.  ;-)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

No.  You are not confused.  (Except perhaps the 29 story part)  An affiliate of Hilcorp owns the property.  Rumor was that Hilcorp had shown its employees renderings of a "regular looking office building over 20 stories high."   We were also told here that it would be 23 stories, elliptical shaped.   Take the rumors for what they are worth.  ;-)

oh yeah, thats the same one im talking about. the design sounds intriguing but i wish the height was a bit taller. ah well, hopefully it will be a gem.

Biznow mentioned today that Hines may be involved in this project. Is this true or has it been previously discussed? That's got to be a good thing.

I just read the whole thing earlier today and re-read again but don't see anything about Hines being involved with Macy's redevelopment.  :huh:

Where's a good viewing angle for this demo? Again, this demo is occurring sometime around 5 or 6am? I want to be there when it happens... 

I doubt there will be a good viewing angle with public access.  The "perimeter" will no doubt be published before the event, but everybody will be kept a block or two away.  There will be highrises a few blocks away with good views; those who work in those buildings & have weekend access might get lucky.  Still, not for the public. 

With luck, there will be a camera (or cameras) for internet viewing.  But you'll be able to hear it.....

The fluctuating rumors on what will replace the store really irritate me.  It was doing business well enough & was only closed by the landlords.  If the land stays empty for long or becomes a parking lot, I will be miffed.  Especially because I wait for light rail 5 mornings a week, right between the deconstructed Foley's & the empty monument to Bobby Sakowitz's bad decisions....

Edited by MaggieMay
  • Like 1

I just read the whole thing earlier today and re-read again but don't see anything about Hines being involved with Macy's redevelopment.  :huh:

Oops, Tower.  Your right.  It wasn't mentioned in Bisnow. However, is was referenced in HBJ.

Qte:

Unconfirmed reports suggest Houston-based developer Hines may be involved with the next structure on the site. However, the company would not comment either way on the subject.

Unqte:

Link: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/08/officials-developers-remain-quiet-on.html

Thanks for fact checking me.

• Like 1

Oops, Tower.  Your right.  It wasn't mentioned in Bisnow. However, is was referenced in HBJ.

Qte:

Unconfirmed reports suggest Houston-based developer Hines may be involved with the next structure on the site. However, the company would not comment either way on the subject.

Unqte:

Link: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/08/officials-developers-remain-quiet-on.html

Thanks for fact checking me.

haha, that explains that. Anyways Bisnow says there is a rumor that a Class-A office building would replace Macys, maybe your right Naviguessor, Hine's might be involved. 

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/four-ways-to-backfill-retail/

"Demolition and redevelopment is especially likely inside the Loop. The biggest example now is the former Macy's Downtown. It added 791k SF of vacancy to the market in Q1, but now it's being torn down. (Rumors say it's being developed into a Class-A office building, but no one's confirming it.) Randy points out it doesn't have to become a new use; consider BLVD Place's redevelopment."

Edited by TowerSpotter

Biznow mentioned today that Hines may be involved in this project. Is this true or has it been previously discussed? That's got to be a good thing.

Sadly, Hines' "involvement" in no way guarantees a good project.  They were involved with the hideous new parking garage on Main Street just a few years ago.

• Like 2

^  Agreed, when it's  Hines' project and they are the owner and developer.  But when they are just "involved" (i.e. being project manager), they have no control of the design quality and all bets are off.

Having said that, from what we've heard out of Hilcorp (which isn't much I admit), I think we can expect a quality project.

Well whoops! I drove down there at 6am thinking it was this morning. I was really confused when I saw a woman with a stroller walking next to the building and then the light rail passing it by like nothing... Thought the date was August 22nd. September 22nd makes more sense though since it's a Sunday morning rather than a work day. Either way, good thing I only live 5 minutes away so it wasn't as humiliating. hahah!

• Like 1

Well whoops! I drove down there at 6am thinking it was this morning. I was really confused when I saw a woman with a stroller walking next to the building and then the light rail passing it by like nothing... Thought the date was August 22nd. September 22nd makes more sense though since it's a Sunday morning rather than a work day. Either way, good thing I only live 5 minutes away so it wasn't as humiliating. hahah!

Haha I certainly know that I appreciate you sharing your humiliation and embarrassment with us. It sounds like something I would do sadly as well. Gave me a good laugh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im sure they will come sure enough but its still tough to see this go. The good thing is that it can only get better not worse. Nothing is worse than a parking lot.

This is the potential downtown development that I worry about the most, and the lack of renderings or any detail on their plans doesn't give me any confidence.  Any downturn in the economy and we can expect a lot of plans to be scuttled "temporarily" in favor of surface parking.  That is what happened on the adjacent block (now Reliant).  Same thing on the block that was supposed to have held the Bank of the Southwest tower.  The existing structure was torn down and never replaced. 

If they don't develop something a surface lot will harm any plans to develop Dallas St as a retail "district". 

• Like 2

This is the potential downtown development that I worry about the most, and the lack of renderings or any detail on their plans doesn't give me any confidence. Any downturn in the economy and we can expect a lot of plans to be scuttled "temporarily" in favor of surface parking. That is what happened on the adjacent block (now Reliant). Same thing on the block that was supposed to have held the Bank of the Southwest tower. The existing structure was torn down and never replaced.

If they don't develop something a surface lot will harm any plans to develop Dallas St as a retail "district".

You make a very solid point which I agree with. The only optimism I hold on to is how fast developers are jumping on starting new projects. Its at such a feverish pace that I personally believe we could hear somethibg as soon as this is torn down. Its a prime piece of real estate.

• Like 1