Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

I like that this project isn't dragging its feet like so many other Downtown projects seem to be doing.

I was thinking the same.

Thought there would have been an extended period of rubble clearing, then the crater would be left for months before anything serious be done.

But no. After the demo, they went right at it. I'm not sold yet on the land use, but I'm glad that something is going up again.

Main Street Square seems so different without That blockwide building

I was thinking the same.

Thought there would have been an extended period of rubble clearing, then the crater would be left for months before anything serious be done.

But no. After the demo, they went right at it. I'm not sold yet on the land use, but I'm glad that something is going up again.

Main Street Square seems so different without That blockwide building

Yeah, I agree. I have yet to go to downtown Houston without the Foley's building being there (last time it was closed for demo), but my greatest fear was that it would be a hole in the ground for months (or worse, a parking lot).

Yeah, I agree. I have yet to go to downtown Houston without the Foley's building being there (last time it was closed for demo), but my greatest fear was that it would be a hole in the ground for months (or worse, a parking lot).

It feels different. Main Street Square used to be closed in. Very shady, lots of activity. Now it seems so open. Due a short building Foleys was imposing

is there a 3rd crane pad site or is it just an extension piece for one of the cranes?

Close to Main, there is a spot where there are new supports for the bulkhead wall of the crater. Near the middle of the block, one of those sections has the supports splayed out around a hole that looks prepped for something. I wouldn't be surprised to see another crane go there. 

An unpopular opinion, I know--but because the building is so set-back, it would be nice to see that section of Main reopened again, but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Huh?  The building is not set back on the Main Street side.  That section of Main Street is open (but it seems likely it will  be closed in the fairly near future.)

It's crane day downtown! Just remembered it's Hines on this one and they aren't messing around like usual.

I don't know any history with Hines so I can't comment on that. But, I thought that this building already had a big anchor tenant pre-leased. The anchor tenant is using it for their corp offices I thought. Seems to me that a developer/owner would want to start and complete the build as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

There was an existing tunnel to the Foley's garage, so a connecting tunnel underneath the front plaza makes sense.

IIRC, Main Partners LP/Hilcorp own that site too, and a renovation was rumored for the Americana Building, hence why all of the tenants (Popeyes, James Coney Island, Zeros, etc) all closed up. I think Subway is still the only one open. Anyone know what their plans are for this block?

Even though I thought this project was a wasted opportunity to lock in a large retail anchor, I'm glad this project is pretty nice and is really moving along.

I don't think the opportunity was wasted. IIRC, didnt this project recieve tax incentives for retail. And it has street-level retail space designed in at the corner of Dallas @ Main.

The bigger opportunity is the Sakowitz Building with its shell still in place. And with Retail at Hilcorp, Marriott SpringHill/Courtyard hotel, Forever 21 and the arrival of Hotel Allessandra all at this intersection, I think the Sakowitz Building becomes a prime target for redevelopment.

Just experimenting... the first few times will be shaky. I noticed the biggest problem with me posting pictures is that it doesn't show you just how lively the site truly is. I felt some type of motion was needed.

MeanCompleteGroundhog.gif

Normal

14267305323_3fc9d23cab_h.jpg

Edited by Triton
  • Like 8

These are a great idea. Any way of getting longer gifs? Or try experimenting with web.m's like /gif uses now

Yea, I'm going to try other methods. Most places I've found, I'm limited by the amount I can upload. Plus, I want them to also be larger in size and somewhat more stable.

• Like 1