Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

This is my fav rendering

10596964386_9291d846a3_b.jpg

Looking east down Dallas at Travis St.

According to the roof plan, that notch on the right hand side of the rendering will be a nice spot to see the Main St. canyon and the expanded park below.

Edited by infinite_jim

Thank you Infinite Jim. I like that very much. I was a bit disappointed with the seemingly 30 something storey glass ceiling not being shattered (considering that downtown boom is becoming a catch phrase, and the last time that phrase was used HTown was getting 50 something storey towers) BUT, I have embraced the infill, and I really like this one. I am content to view 20, 30 and 40 storey towers rising for the next decade IF we get at least one 60+ by 2020 or so.

I would be happy with just 20 storey buildings filling up the gaps. The fact that we are getting 30 and 40 storey buildings is just gravy. I wouldn't care if we didn't get another 60+ for years if we keep on getting so many infill projects.

I like supertalls but priority for me is:

1. Infill

2. Increased residential population

3. Increased entertainment options

4. Increased transit options

5. Increased dining options

6. Grocery options to suit the growth

7. Other retailers

8. Improved public spaces

9. A supertall or two

10. Better lighting.

I think that would bee my list in order

• Like 4

Americana Building and the Foley's garage are both rather interesting.  Americana is a pretty nice little modern building.  The garage should be renovated, but I think the ground floor is the primary issue with people who drive by - the upper floors are fine, the dumpy retail spaces need work!

• Like 1

They're doing a massive concrete pour now, with a constant stream of cement trucks driving in and out all day today. While I was taking this photo (click for a bigger view), I saw identical trucks driving by on both Lamar and McKinney, too, so they have at least half a dozen cement trucks around there at any point.

jELnrswl.jpg

• Like 3

Americana Building and the Foley's garage are both rather interesting. Americana is a pretty nice little modern building. The garage should be renovated, but I think the ground floor is the primary issue with people who drive by - the upper floors are fine, the dumpy retail spaces need work!

Totally agree, but then again I am all for weird. I would do renovations to

yep. The bathtub was it. One level of basement was all the Foley's had.

They had to dig down another 10' for the foundation for the new tower, and for the crane anchors

I could've sworn I saw a rendering that had 4-5 basements, guess not--this has a plan of the basement level--seems that all the deliveries were made through the garage, and then transported through overhead conveyor belts to the budget store in the basement, and to the main departments above. (Note the "pedestrian passage" connecting the garage to the store) The garage and the connection then, still exist, albeit sealed up. Do you suppose that this new tower will keep the garage and connection for its own use?

I know there are a couple of people in the construction industry or know about it well to know what that is in the first photo. I don't ever remember seeing something like that before.

Nor have I. Seems to be some kind of structural center "anchor" for the project. It sure is a crapload of rebar in one spot. 

I could've sworn I saw a rendering that had 4-5 basements, guess not--this has a plan of the basement level--seems that all the deliveries were made through the garage, and then transported through overhead conveyor belts to the budget store in the basement, and to the main departments above. (Note the "pedestrian passage" connecting the garage to the store) The garage and the connection then, still exist, albeit sealed up. Do you suppose that this new tower will keep the garage and connection for its own use?

Nothing but speculation here, but I would expect they will keep the garage-connecting tunnel in place for a connection to whatever is eventually built on the garage/Americana Building block.  Given that they appear to have removed all tenants from all of those buildings, I would expect them to be demolished and replaced by something in the near future.  I'm sure the Hilcorp people have plans and they are obviously pretty good at keeping their plans to themselves.

Edited by Houston19514

it looks to me like the concrete in that 2nd picture a few posts up pretty much mimics the towers footprint, minus a little of the garage (i guess either the entire garage doesnt need a foundation, or more likely, the underground level below the garage doesnt extend out to the edges/outer perimeter of the garage above.. [in the northeast corner]).

and yeah, that "core" middle thing was weird. at least how they had the rebar shaped.

since people are too lazy to click links.. lol

Main street side with ground floor retail
10597538983_752346b174_b.jpg

did anyone else notice this..?
"extension of pedestrian walkway if Main Streets 1 lane of traffic is closed".. maybe that idea to close main street to traffic was more serious than we thought?

10597283025_9d9c6b0789_b.jpg

it looks to me like the concrete in that 2nd picture a few posts up pretty much mimics the towers footprint, minus a little of the garage (i guess either the entire garage doesnt need a foundation, or more likely, the underground level below the garage doesnt extend out to the edges/outer perimeter of the garage above.. [in the northeast corner]).

and yeah, that "core" middle thing was weird. at least how they had the rebar shaped.

Indeed, that middle core is weird.  Although I think the pictures of the tower (that we've seen here) are accurate in showing what is being built, I'm still amazed by the fact that there has been no official announcement stating that this is the exact design being built. 

There hasn't been any comments made by the parties involved in the project.  It is a private project, so I'm not saying they're wrong in their silence.  I'm just waiting to hear it from their own mouths.  I'm not doubting the person who posted the pics either, just to make that clear.

Edited by democide

this is the reason that i refer to this particular edifice as the "phantom menace".  this whole predicament is quite unique isn't it?

Indeed, that middle core is weird.  Although I think the pictures of the tower (that we've seen here) are accurate in showing what is being built, I'm still amazed by the fact that there has been no official announcement stating that this is the exact design being built. 

There hasn't been any comments made by the parties involved in the project.  It is a private project, so I'm not saying they're wrong in their silence.  I'm just waiting to hear it from their own mouths.  I'm not doubting the person who posted the pics either, just to make that clear.

• Like 1