Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

Whither the tunnels underneath the building? Will they remain closed until the new complex opens?

There aren't really any tunnels underneath the building.  There are only 2 tunnels connecting to the basement of the building.  One to 1000 Main and one to the Macy's parking garage.  There will be no use for those tunnels until the new complex opens, so yes, I would imagine they will remain closed.

Y'all aren't going to believe the video I'm going to get from my new vantage point....muahahaha!

For those of us not as lucky at Tumbleweed.....you can watch on Channel 13 or at ABC13.com 

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9257218

I can hear the helicopter hovering right now....

FOX 26 will also have live coverage

Live stream here:  http://www.chron.com/homes/commercial/gallery/Houston-implosions-through-the-decades-53545.php

Edited by HoustonMidtown

Yea the Fox coverage alluded to retail and even some residential for the site. It's my understanding that Hilcorp got some tax incentives to include retail in their project to help anchor that retail district they want to make downtown. Doesn't seem like they could fit residential in it if it is only 23 stories though.

You were so lucky to get on that parking garage! They closed it off when I got there so I had to watch it from Main and Polk. I noticed some people were on top of the skyscrapers man... I can't even imagine the view.

Edited by Triton

the view from inside the old Books A Million... they decided we were too close, so they moved us up (some of the people with us ended up on top of the SkyBar, where they were going to build the outdoor part... I'll find out how their view was on Monday)

9872252516_884737d5be_b.jpg

Edited by Tumbleweed_Tx
  • Like 1

ok, here we go!!!

y'all get my evening, which started with a punk ska band at work... they're like a Panteon Rococco for white people (PR is my favorite latin ska band)... no pics of that... 

so... you saw the vantage we got moved from... here's the rest of the morning.

this is Annie.. .she was hanging out.

9880222205_26af42837e_c.jpgpoint

spraying water to minimize dust... it didn't help as you can tell from Infinite Jim's KILLER smoke photo...

9880341683_2766d0c2ec_b.jpg

this dude was on the old Humble Oil building... he was joined by 30 people, a cop went and chased them off...

9880230256_2ea2217266_z.jpg

This picture is called Salute... it's one of the last pictures taken of the building as part of the Houston skyline...

9880341483_e738101389_z.jpg

The mountain of rubble... Look closely, there's two guys in orange safety jackets on top of the mountain!

9880234866_e85105bf6d_c.jpg

awesome!!!!

my friends and I screwed around a little...

9880341523_efefbf3d68_c.jpg

and if you see this anywhere on the interwebs (it was photographed a LOT), keep in mind I'm the smart-ass who wrote it... LOL

9880234976_3a220edb17_c.jpg

and then there was mimosas  :)

I have video of the implosion, it's AWESOME, and my friend Eric's video is HILARIOUS! How do I post videos from facebook (his), and flikr (mine?)

• Like 3

could this be the first glimpse of the new Hillcorp tower? i didnt realize there was a building in the place of the old macys/hillcorp site in this rendering.. lower left with the J.Crew

its probably just be a filler but maybe the city has access to Hillcorps plans/renderings already?

9734762351_385af270ec_b.jpg

Edited by cloud713