Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

If I remember correctly both Macys and the city wanted the store to stay. Owners of Foleys wanted a different use of the space.

As for not renewing, I don't think the lease was even up yet. I trunk Macys was in the middle of a ten year lease

Highly doubtful.  If they were in the middle of a ten year lease and wanted to stay, there would probably be a lawsuit in progress.

You're saying the Water Tower Place mall is not attached to the Water Tower Place tower?  I am not talking about the old water tower itself. I am talking about the Water Tower Place development. There is no street cutting through it.

I thought you were trying to show that an old structure could be attached to a new structure/mall.  But if you were just trying to show that you can have a hotel on top of a mall, then yes I agree with you.  

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you were trying to show that an old structure could be attached to a new structure/mall. But if you were just trying to show that you can have a hotel on top of a mall, then yes I agree with you.

I was trying to show how a possible redevelopment of Foley's could have incorporated shops and an office tower. The bulk of Foley's is analogous to the bulky lower portion of Water Tower Place. The text of my post explained what I was driving at.

Edited by H-Town Man

They are chipping out the below grade foundations currently with nealy all of the former building debris havig been hauled off.

Tough to see much, but there wasa ton of steel reinforcing the concrete that made up the outer retaning wall. Maybe what I saw was part of the rumored "fallout shelter".

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 2

They are chipping out the below grade foundations currently with nealy all of the former building debris havig been hauled off.

Tough to see much, but there wasa ton of steel reinforcing the concrete that made up the outer retaning wall. Maybe what I saw was part of the rumored "fallout shelter".

Perhaps they thought that when they built, they built forever.

• Like 1

Perhaps they thought that when they built, they built forever.

It was bunker level substantial. They were working on the Main street side, kind of made me wonder what they might have to do to keep the soil from shifting around under the light rail tracks once that big, heavy subterranian wall was removed, but what I know about soils and construction is limited to knowing that you generally construct buildings on top of soil.

It also occurs to me that my metaphorical exagerration of "ton" is woefully inaequate.

you can see the entire site from the top of the Pavilions Garage. When I go to work tomorrow, I'll park on the 8th and snap a few pics for y'all.

ugh.. work.. I'm in Vegas right now... lol

Beat you to it. From this shot, you can see the tunnel entrance in to 1000 Main. 

107ncj8.jpg

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 4

did Hilcorp ever give a timetable on their construction project? 

I'm wondering because the size of the hole in the ground is way too big to be filling in now just to dig it all up in a couple of years (even if it is only 15' deep, and just where did they think they were going to put 30,000 people in a  shelter on that block? Throughout the entire Foley's building?)

^   i was wondering if anyone else was noticing the apparent absence of any evidence of the supposed multi-level fallout shelter underneath the building.  I always suspected that was nothing but urban myth.

As I mentioned earlier, there appeared to be an excessive amount of rebar in the foundation wall on the Main St. side, so it may have been built to bomb shelter specs, but the idea of putting 30k people on one city block seems absurd. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was just a fallout shelter, not a bomb shelter. A fallout shelter doesn't resist a blast, just provides shelter from the falling waste. Lots of buildings all over the country, even in small towns, had signs that said fallout shelter.

Either way, there is scant evidence of room for 30,000 or 39,000 people, as was supposed to be the case according to the urban myth.