Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

This particular site on Main Street, has got to be one of (if not the) hottest site (s) in the State of Texas.  I was a bit leery that they were anticipating a 23 story building upon this site, but to think of placing a another garage upon this site facing Main Street, is simply ASININE at best.

Surely Mayor Parker, and the Downtown Management officials can do better than this....  you've got to be kidding!

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

This particular site on Main Street, has got to be one of (if not the) hottest site (s) in the State of Texas.  I was a bit leery that they were anticipating a 23 story building upon this site, but to think of placing a another garage upon this site facing Main Street, is simply ASININE as best.

Surely Mayor Parker, and the Downtown Management officials can do better than this....  you've got to be kidding!

i agree, but at least it doesnt look like a garage. the ground floor retail needed to face Main, and you cant blame them for not wanting the corporate entrance being on the same side as the pedestrian activity along Main. it would be weird if retail was in front of a corporate building next to the entrance. besides, it has already been pointed out how inaccessible places along Main Street are. i doubt Hilcorp wants a bunch of pedestrians/bums hanging out in their out door space in front of the building, which would happen if it faced Main with all the pedestrian activity. the main entrance facing another street kind of makes sense.. 

• Like 1

i agree, but at least it doesnt look like a garage. the ground floor retail needed to face Main, and you cant blame them for not wanting the corporate entrance being on the same side as the pedestrian activity along Main. it would be weird if retail was in front of a corporate building next to the entrance. besides, it has already been pointed out how inaccessible places along Main Street are. i doubt Hilcorp wants a bunch of pedestrians/bums hanging out in their out door space in front of the building, which would happen if it faced Main with all the pedestrian activity. the main entrance facing another street kind of makes sense.. 

cloud713, I love you guy....  but sometimes your "fixation" as per retail, seems to be a bit over the top.

I once lived downtown Houston, and I simply loved the place.  During the short time that I lived there (3+years) I systematically witnessed a broad amount of retail just basically disappear....  right before my eyes.  It broke my heart that last time I visited Macy's downtown upon one of my return visits from Afghanistan.  I walked in, only to view a strange array of basically cheap looking clothing / accessories.  I felt that I had ventured into K-mart (not that there is anything wrong with K-mart).  But I'm sure that you may catch my drift....

As I have stated as per my aforementioned post "this particular site upon Main Street, is probably the best / hottest site within the state".  And if a new edifice is going to be positioned as per this site, then it should with out a doubt.... be first class in every category.  Upon this particular site, we should never be fixated upon the garage.... no matter where it's located.  The office aspect as per this edifice should stand out completely.  Just as "BG Place" as well as the now proposed "609 Main".  In my view, the garage aspects of these particular edifices, are positioned as they should be.....

Should any retail be proposed, then the retail aspect should definitely be highlighted in the broadest terms.  Especially upon this particular site, in lieu of the  "Downtown Management's" newest plans  centering upon Dallas Street becoming Downtown's signature retail avenue.  I think that this particular initiative can be a reality for Downtown Houston.  But it needs to be done upon a thoughtful as we as a consistent basis, or it shall end up just like "Houston Pavilions" disaster....

cloud713, I love you guy....  but sometimes your "fixation" as per retail, seems to be a bit over the top.

I once lived downtown Houston, and I simply loved the place.  During the short time that I lived there (3+years) I systematically witnessed a broad amount of retail just basically disappear....  right before my eyes.  It broke my heart that last time I visited Macy's downtown upon one of my return visits from Afghanistan.  I walked in, only to view a strange array of basically cheap looking clothing / accessories.  I felt that I had ventured into K-mart (not that there is anything wrong with K-mart).  But I'm sure that you may catch my drift....

As I have stated as per my aforementioned post "this particular site upon Main Street, is probably the best / hottest site within the state".  And if a new edifice is going to be positioned as per this site, then it should with out a doubt.... be first class in every category.  Upon this particular site, we should never be fixated upon the garage.... no matter where it's located.  The office aspect as per this edifice should stand out completely.  Just as "BG Place" as well as the now proposed "609 Main".  In my view, the garage aspects of these particular edifices, are positioned as they should be.....

Should any retail be proposed, then the retail aspect should definitely be highlighted in the broadest terms.  Especially upon this particular site, in lieu of the  "Downtown Management's" newest plans  centering upon Dallas Street becoming Downtown's signature retail avenue.  I think that this particular initiative can be a reality for Downtown Houston.  But it needs to be done upon a thoughtful as we as a consistent basis, or it shall end up just like "Houston Pavilions" disaster....

There it is again that need to mis-represent the Houston Pavillion  only failed from  mangement stand point, the bars and  entertinment venues  and restraunats all have done quite well. Even the limited retail has manganed to hang in there. The area is one of the most people heavy I have seen in Donwtown Houston..Could it step it up of course, but we all know that will requaire downtown Houston to address a number of other problems first...The low residentcy rate the first redevepoment plan called for a DT population of 16,0000 by now, but the econ crashed and goals fail off.. the total popluation  minus that absurd  adding of the prison population is actually around 3,000 even if you count the new units that are being built and planned then we are looking at another 2,000 in less than 2 years. I would like to see this tread continue, This is what is needed to substain the area and by deflaut draw in more retail and venues

What seems awkward is that the plaza area opens up to the intersection of Travis and Lamar, where there are parking garages on the other three corners.  To me it would make more sense to be oriented to HPD and the hotel, or even better, the Green Street entrance at Main and Dallas.  Very odd this one. 

• Like 1

the ground floor retail needed to face Main, and you cant blame them for not wanting the corporate entrance being on the same side as the pedestrian activity along Main. it would be weird if retail was in front of a corporate building next to the entrance.

No reason why a corporate entrance can't be on the same side as the retail.  It takes a little effort though...

2997780059_0611447afb_z.jpg?zz=1

I will say - it is unfortunate that they had to tear down a re-workable building to build something this size. Not like there aren't empty blocks just down Main Street.

Agreed, if only this tower were taller/had other components of mixed use like residential then it would be a grand slam. Still a fantastic building, but I feel the same that it could of been repurposed. There were ideas being floated around a couple years ago about consolidating the macys on the bottom 4 floors and having office space on the top 6 floors with new windows and a central atrium with a large skylight.

H-town man, that actually.. Looks pretty nice...

It's conventionally Houston in it's site design (which is to say it appeals to those driving down Travis). I'm sure the more urban-scaled Main St. side will satisfy most once construction is done and the retailers have moved in. My only disappointment is the parapet height is ~340', only 20' taller than 1300 Main (which means I probably won't see anything except for the roof line/mechanical roost).

Edited by infinite_jim

This particular site on Main Street, has got to be one of (if not the) hottest site (s) in the State of Texas. I was a bit leery that they were anticipating a 23 story building upon this site, but to think of placing a another garage upon this site facing Main Street, is simply ASININE at best.

Surely Mayor Parker, and the Downtown Management officials can do better than this.... you've got to be kidding!

It makes one wonder if those behind this actually know what they're doing.

Or if they kept the Macy's building and just turned it into a parking garage.

And that is the kind of boring thinking that has keep downtown with a bad rep..lets turn prime poperty into a damn parking spot..sigh.. I was looking at the area yesterday and it dawn on me even if this project fell though this would be a prime place for a second discovery green type and would not harm the retail plan for Dallas st

And that is the kind of boring thinking that has keep downtown with a bad rep..lets turn prime poperty into a damn parking spot..sigh.. I was looking at the area yesterday and it dawn on me even if this project fell though this would be a prime place for a second discovery green type and would not harm the retail plan for Dallas st

That might kind of cool, actually. I remember in some other thread somebody raised the idea of a sunken plaza, that might be cool here.

That might kind of cool, actually. I remember in some other thread somebody raised the idea of a sunken plaza, that might be cool here.

Ha, that was probably me. I thought it would be a neat idea and someone showed that a firm made renderings for one similar to what I described. It would be cool but I would rather see a tower here. Besides, they have this vision of 100% retail/ect around the main/Dallas intersection so I doubt they would want a park there. There was a plan for a sunken plaza along Dallas near Austin I think, in the mixed use/downtown retail PDF plans posted on the downtown Houstons websites development section

I had not thought about a sunken plaza, did,nt the old foley building use to tie into the tunnels as well, so you could  exit the tunnels right into the plaza.. it would do what Houston has been trying to do for years tie the tunnels and the streets together

100% underwhelming. We lose Foley's and gain a suburban-looking office tower with a garage facing Main Street Square. When I heard it was going to be 23 floors, I was hoping it would be some sort of architectural marvel but this thing is a total "moo."

yeahh your in the minority of people who think that train wreak of a building was worth saving.. I would take this glass building over that windowless box anyday

• Like 1

I've got no problems being in the minority. Following the herd is overrated.

Also, did you see me mention the architecture of the Foley's building anywhere in my post? No, you didn't. I actually thought the building itself was ugly. However, having worked downtown for many years, I can tell you how nice it was to have a Foley's right down the block. I got a lot of stuff done on lunch breaks and it allowed me to avoid the Galleria. It was nice seeing little old ladies riding the bus/train downtown to shop and the window displays during the various Holidays was a helluva lot better to look at than a parking garage.

I've got no problems being in the minority. Following the herd is overrated.

Also, did you see me mention the architecture of the Foley's building anywhere in my post? No, you didn't. I actually thought the building itself was ugly. However, having worked downtown for many years, I can tell you how nice it was to have a Foley's right down the block. I got a lot of stuff done on lunch breaks and it allowed me to avoid the Galleria. It was nice seeing little old ladies riding the bus/train downtown to shop and the window displays during the various Holidays was a helluva lot better to look at than a parking garage.

want makes you you thing that the ground floor will not have reatail ?

Still a parking garage even if it has retail.

If zoning had been approved the last time it was voted on a couple decades ago, Main St. would have 2 parking garages between Texas and Dallas instead of 7 (8 with this one). Makes you think.

100% underwhelming. We lose Foley's and gain a suburban-looking office tower with a garage facing Main Street Square. When I heard it was going to be 23 floors, I was hoping it would be some sort of architectural marvel but this thing is a total "moo."

I absolutely concur KinkaidAlum.  It's almost as if this big green glassed amateur just stood up.....  and turned it's ass upon Main Street.

If it wasn't so shocking / sad.....  if would be hilarious!

Edited by monarch

Still a parking garage even if it has retail.

If zoning had been approved the last time it was voted on a couple decades ago, Main St. would have 2 parking garages between Texas and Dallas instead of 7 (8 with this one). Makes you think.

This is downtown Houston, it will be an extremely rare occasion when something will be built without a garage.

Plus, you can't even tell its a garage. It actually probably looks better as a garage than BG Group.

Also, i don't know much about architecture but people are always complaining about scale. Doesn't the building set back from the garage give it a better pedestrian scale? Infinitejim?