Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

please pardon me...   but am i the only one, that thinks that this incognito activity is a bit weird...    just saying.

It's almost.... it's almost as if they found something... maybe... just maybe, they found Thor's hammer, Mjölnir.

Redevelopment of Main pdf shows the layout of the new office tower here: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/29592-main-st-improvments/?p=448813

• Like 1

The size of the building is 406,600 square feet.

Urbannizer you're incredible at finding out all this information! Great job and keep it up. :] Do you remember what thread Hoothrewpoo gave us an estimate on the size on? I don't remember exactly but I thought she estimated 300-400k. Pretty close! Would be nice to have more insider information from her, plus we need an update on how the 2nd Chevron tower's deadline was affected by their recent decisions. Sorry for rambling!

Edited by ClutchCity
  • Like 2

I like the building. Did Hines sign on for this? What's their role here, if any?

Hines is a developer. While they do "develop" some of their own buildings they also make a living by performing "development services" for business or equity sources. I guessing, in this case, the company hired them to oversee the development stages of their building, or some arrangement where they will be the tenant. I don't the exact specifics of their involvement of this one but I do know it is not a speculative development.

It's almost.... it's almost as if they found something... maybe... just maybe, they found Thor's hammer, Mjölnir.

Redevelopment of Main pdf shows the layout of the new office tower here: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/29592-main-st-improvments/?p=448813

Note that they are closing Main Street in front of the tower and turning it into a plaza, like Main Street Square.

• Like 1

Is part of Main still going to be closed off to cars?

From the schematics I've seen, yes. Main is to undergo some renovations itself (even though it is only 10 years old) and one of the key things is to close off this small section of Main:

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-02-07/140203-Main_St-Public_Mtg_Presentation-SM.pdf

They should have planted densely along Main in mainstreet square. Lots of big thick trees with hanging moss. Then the water feature should have been landscaped with sLopping grass covered mounds.

Make it look like the train is navigating a bayou. It is the Bayou City after all.

The fountains were a good idea, but it never seems to be working.

• Like 1

They should have planted densely along Main in mainstreet square. Lots of big thick trees with hanging moss. Then the water feature should have been landscaped with sLopping grass covered mounds.

Make it look like the train is navigating a bayou. It is the Bayou City after all.

The fountains were a good idea, but it never seems to be working.

The fountains were meant to be a splashy feature (pardon the pun) to be showcased during the Super Bowl. They served their purpose.

That would be nice. Not in Houston though.

You're right. Certainly not in terms of the cheap townhouses they are throwing up.

But I would say inside the loop, most large scale buildings are starting to take a hint and truly invest in sustainable and lasting structures.

The problem with the fountains is that they function by shooting nice pretty arcs of water.  However, those nice pretty arcs have a habit of getting blown around and onto the sidewalks, aggravated by the Venturi effect created by the nearby buildings.  Whoever came up with the design didn't think through its practical effects.

• Like 1

That first shot is totally rad! Looks like a completely different city. I have a soft spot for super 80's buildings and the one on the left and 1801 really do it for me. Like the background of the second level of sonic on the original sega.

Sorry for that last part, it's a great shot, and we might not see that same angle for a really long time. Thank you for taking time to shoot it.

• Like 2