Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

Really good view of the work from the top of the old Foley's garage:

macrol.jpg

2hebpc7.jpg

Near the Milam/Dallas corner, you can see where they are framing up a big rebar "cage". No idea what that does. 

More toward Lamar, you can see a big terraced excavation with what looks like a concrete bottom. I'm not sure that is is though, could just be the ground prepped really well for whatever is going on top of it. 

• Like 7

I have a couple of questions about the image of the excavation above.

1. What Is the hole to the left of the terraced sunken area with the yellow x across it?

2. Will the excavation clear the lot to the bottom of the terraced level. I know they'll leave the driveway in until they're finished with the excavation so the dump trucks and loaders can get out.

This is going to be fun to watch.

I count at least 7 cranes up once all these projects get going.

I'd say the square hole covered with caution tape is a crane pad, as is the hole in the lower right side of the pic.

y'all's angle is better than the one I get from the top o the Pavilion's garage   :)

The hole with the rebar is fairly close to the Dallas/Travis corner of the property,  It's hard to say, but the big terraced hole could even be a crane pad too given how much the building curves back away from the Travis/Lamar corner. 

I was walking by there yesterday and had a minute, so I just went up the elevator in the old Foley's garage. I don't know why I had not done that earlier. 

I'd say the square hole covered with caution tape is a crane pad, as is the hole in the lower right side of the pic.

y'all's angle is better than the one I get from the top o the Pavilion's garage :)

I just noticed on the site plan that it references the possibility of Main closing on the west side.

No way the city would consider that unless they planned on retail or a major entertainment venue.

I just noticed on the site plan that it references the possibility of Main closing on the west side.

No way the city would consider that unless they planned on retail or a major entertainment venue.

actually at the Main Street planning agenda meeting or w/e the thread in the downtown subforum was started about, they talked about closing that section of Main St several times.. and is there not retail along the Main side of the garage?

actually at the Main Street planning agenda meeting or w/e the thread in the downtown subforum was started about, they talked about closing that section of Main St several times.. and is there not retail along the Main side of the garage?

I know, but this site plan is months old an nobody ever noticed it.

And I don't know about the retail . From what I remember everyone was just speculating because it's hard to tell from the renderings.

what do you mean no one ever noticed it lockmat? as for the "ground floor retail" i mentioned in the quote, yeah that was just my assumption because it looked like store fronts and people walking around the area, and i know the city wanted that intersection to be retail on all four corners.

since people are too lazy to click links.. lol

Main street side with ground floor retail
10597538983_752346b174_b.jpg

did anyone else notice this..?
"extension of pedestrian walkway if Main Streets 1 lane of traffic is closed".. maybe that idea to close main street to traffic was more serious than we thought?

10597283025_9d9c6b0789_b.jpg

• Like 1

Why not? The current Main Street Square at the Reliant tower doesn't have street level retail.

heres the presentation from the Main Street Improvements meeting.. about 2/3rds the way down under Main Street Square: Improvements it talks about closing the block in front of Block 256, and has aerial renderings of what the closed off block would look like.

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-02-07/140203-Main_St-Public_Mtg_Presentation-SM.pdf

Why not? The current Main Street Square at the Reliant tower doesn't have street level retail.

Good point, but I'm sure they're hoping closing off the street would encourage it though, right?

Also, I just realized this site is the next block over from the square, so it doesn't seem totally unreasonable. Still, I'm curious what Hilcorp's justification would be other than, "why not, the next block over is," unless there is retail. Even then, I'm not sure it makes sense.

• Like 1

That section of street doesn't serve much purpose besides serving as a place to do u turns from Lamar over to Dallas, so getting rid of it won't effect much.

I still say that's most likely retail along the bottom of the garage on main. Idk why they would have the cut out/overhang like that with the big clear windows just to see into a parking garage..

Good point, but I'm sure they're hoping closing off the street would encourage it though, right?

Also, I just realized this site is the next block over from the square, so it doesn't seem totally unreasonable. Still, I'm curious what Hilcorp's justification would be other than, "why not, the next block over is," unless there is retail. Even then, I'm not sure it makes sense.

Maybe it wasn't Hilcorp's decision. It is part of the plans of Downtown Management District. Anyway, just like Main Street Square, closing the road off to cars can create a better pedestrian environment. Main Street Square has trees for shade and etc.

Maybe it wasn't Hilcorp's decision. It is part of the plans of Downtown Management District. Anyway, just like Main Street Square, closing the road off to cars can create a better pedestrian environment. Main Street Square has trees for shade and etc.

Maybe, but I was the meeting and the downtown district rep said "they" are considering closing the street, so who knows, but you're probably right.

Seems like something hilcorp and the district would decide together.

Corner Bakery and Compass Bank are there in the lobby, or are you referring to something else?

That section of street doesn't serve much purpose besides serving as a place to do u turns from Lamar over to Dallas...

Can you make left turns on to Main there off of Lamar? If you couldn't do that, it would be completely worthless anyway. In that case, any other alternative of value would be a positive thing.