Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

This is downtown Houston, it will be an extremely rare occasion when something will be built without a garage.

I didn't say anything would have been built without a garage. But zoning could have required that any new developments on Main put their garages on Fannin or Travis.

I don't know if they're different, but I'd rather have a few simple and better design standards to accomplish this.

I know I lean towards govt staying out of an owners' business, but if they really wanted a garage on main they could still apply for a variance.

As someone that takes the light rail to work (and they're aren't many if us), I absolutely understand why they would not face this towards Main. As a practical matter, dropping people off or picking them up would be a nightmare. The road is one lane there. It wouldn't work.

Also the bums down there are awful. I wear headphones so I don't have to deal with them. But they are still an eye sore. If I was spending a hundred million dollars, I would try to lessen the impact of homeless as mush as possible.

Also, this doesn't really look like a parking garage.

Finally, why is rail suppose to be something you build towards? In Chicago, folks don't build buildings so they face the L.

• Like 2

As someone that takes the light rail to work (and they're aren't many if us), I absolutely understand why they would not face this towards Main. As a practical matter, dropping people off or picking them up would be a nightmare. The road is one lane there. It wouldn't work.

Also the bums down there are awful. I wear headphones so I don't have to deal with them. But they are still an eye sore. If I was spending a hundred million dollars, I would try to lessen the impact of homeless as mush as possible.

Also, this doesn't really look like a parking garage.

Finally, why is rail suppose to be something you build towards? In Chicago, folks don't build buildings so they face the L.

What do you propose to "do" with the homeless population? They are human beings too.

• Like 1

I didn't say anything would have been built without a garage. But zoning could have required that any new developments on Main put their garages on Fannin or Travis.

BUT YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL IT'S A DAMN GARAGE.

From the rendering all it looks like from main is a 7 or 8 story glass building with ground floor retail. Hell from what we can tell the cars wont even be entering from main, so what difference would your "zoning" rant even make? I swear the incessant whining on this board is downright pathetic. If you want to complain that the building perhaps should be taller I'd at least understand but from a desgin perspective it isn't like any building I can think of in houston and it sure as hell isn't just a "box."

Y'all have become downright insufferable.

• Like 7

since people are too lazy to click links.. lol

Main street side with ground floor retail
10597538983_752346b174_b.jpg

did anyone else notice this..?
"extension of pedestrian walkway if Main Streets 1 lane of traffic is closed".. maybe that idea to close main street to traffic was more serious than we thought?

10597283025_9d9c6b0789_b.jpg

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

that block of main is already closed to northbound traffic

oh i didnt realize that the northbound lane south of MSS and the southbound lane north of MSS were closed. i thought Main was only closed at the block of Main Street Square. i guess closing just those sections of the street wouldnt have much impact on the traffic.

It is what it is. A neat little office building.

Exactly. I guess I'm one of the few but I actually like it. People were expecting a supertall?

I'm pretty sure for months before this demolition we heard what the general height/floor count would be and that it was going to be somewhat of an oval building. Sounds like we got what we heard.

Having the traffic enter from the south and exit to the north makes sense to me. Don't really see what all the hubbub is about.

• Like 3

BUT YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL IT'S A DAMN GARAGE.

From the rendering all it looks like from main is a 7 or 8 story glass building with ground floor retail. Hell from what we can tell the cars wont even be entering from main, so what difference would your "zoning" rant even make? I swear the incessant whining on this board is downright pathetic. If you want to complain that the building perhaps should be taller I'd at least understand but from a desgin perspective it isn't like any building I can think of in houston and it sure as hell isn't just a "box."

Y'all have become downright insufferable.

Don't understand why you get so angry. I've said it before... if you don't like hearing people criticize architecture and design, maybe an architecture forum is not the place for you.

And, since you mention it, you can tell it's a garage. The garage floors are clearly visible through the glass. I imagine cars will be too, although whoever did the rendering chose not to depict them.

Edited by H-Town Man

It's happened before. I'm not saying it's not retail; it probably is. A floor plan would offer some sort of confirmation though.

true, i agree.. though they have been saying since this tower was first rumored that it would have ground floor retail, and all the other rumors about it have been true so far. we shall see.

Guest Jackwood

I think this website would be more of an asset if Urbanizer was the only one allowed to post. The criticisms do nothing. 

Edited by Jackwood
  • Like 1

Guest Jackwood

You must be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

Now you're adding some value to the internet.  You should stick to re-posting quotes that were thought up by smart people.

Edited by Jackwood