Ben Milam Hotel At 1521 Texas Ave.

• 4 months later...

The debris on that portion of the roof had been there before the hurricane. It is right off the stairwell on the 4th floor and is mostly ceramic debris where a furnace or transformer must have been operated at one point in time. I would not be surprised if they got a nasty letter from a neighbor about windfall debris after the storm and thus the reasoning for the cleanup.

If any rehabilitation is to occur, the eastern addition of steel frame will need to be demolished. It is currently collapsing under it's own weight with the addition of the window debris on it's roof. Also it should be noted that the addition's steel is strangely detailed and in some places inconsistent with other modules.

I don't foresee anything really being done with this building after sitting in on a couple meetings with the owner's reps, except eventual buyout &/or implosion. :(

The debris on that portion of the roof had been there before the hurricane. It is right off the stairwell on the 4th floor and is mostly ceramic debris where a furnace or transformer must have been operated at one point in time. I would not be surprised if they got a nasty letter from a neighbor about windfall debris after the storm and thus the reasoning for the cleanup.

If any rehabilitation is to occur, the eastern addition of steel frame will need to be demolished. It is currently collapsing under it's own weight with the addition of the window debris on it's roof. Also it should be noted that the addition's steel is strangely detailed and in some places inconsistent with other modules.

I don't foresee anything really being done with this building after sitting in on a couple meetings with the owner's reps, except eventual buyout &/or implosion. :(

That's unfortunate. My dream project is to develop the empty lot next to it into the new Texas Baseball Hall of Fame and also redeveloping the Ben Milam building into a boutique hotel. Yep, dream.

Nice dream, it is still possible if you can get investors and buyout that slum lord. That whole block was overripe for development after the ballpark's completion but the owner was too risk adverse to take advantage of the opportunity and the market demand for lodging was snatched up across the street. I think it is now too late to renovate unless you're willing to invest 5 years of R&D, acquisition, and more towards this development. If you have an internationally excellent structural engineer, the bldg could be wholesale converted to a hall of fame capped with admin offices through some Matta-Clark style moves as the rigid frame structure is still very sound. An extra vertical circulater will have to appendaged or inserted somehow; the two existing elevator shafts are too narrow for freight needs.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know how long ago they were in there, but some urban explorers have interior photos of the Ben Milam.

If the gambling office area mentioned previously was still there, I guess these guys missed it.

Wonder if there's some urban explorer code along the lines of "take only photos"... hope so.

It is amazing how thoroughly vacant buildings deteriorate. I did the urban exploration thing at the old Texas State Hotel and the Sheraton and it was stunning how bad the interior conditions were.

I don't know how long ago they were in there, but some urban explorers have interior photos of the Ben Milam.

If the gambling office area mentioned previously was still there, I guess these guys missed it.

Wonder if there's some urban explorer code along the lines of "take only photos"... hope so.

Those pics are good. It's a shame the grafatti guys had to paint over part of the Ben Milam sign, when they had so much "other" brick canvas to work with. <_< Personally, I think the "original" sign painter is the most talented, the lettering is awesome. Looks like there was a pic of a covered wagon? in the tree pic, on the roof. The arch. detail work is great to see.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Although the Ben Milam isn't identified by name, it's mentioned in Ken Hoffman's April 25th column.

A reader questions the reason for the deplorable state of the building, and the impression it makes on visitors to MMP.

Mr. Hoffman's reply quotes Pam Gardner (Houston Astros President of Business Operations) as saying “We made inquiries over the years, as have others, but we have since moved on. The owner has done some cleanup work in the building in recent years, but it hasn't translated to a renovation. With all the development in the area it would be great to see something there, but it doesn't appear likely in the near term.”

As in David Smith is a longtime slumlord :(

Here's a nice snip from an interview by KUHF about the recent Hogan-Allnoch building auction (that happened to fall flat):

Businessman David Smith owns property downtown, including the old Ben Milam hotel and most of the block it sits on. He told Commissioners:

"I want to buy that block, or that part of the block for one million dollars. I would want to buy that building, because it'll tie in with my plans, which have been incubating and working for so many years down the street. I plan to execute them in the next two to five years, but I'm trying to be careful on my financing, but I'm gonna buy it. Cut it at that, subject to terms and I'm not gonna bargain."

http://app1.kuhf.org/houston_public_radio-news-display-printer_friendly.php?articles_id=1260313460

Ya right!

• 1 year later...

Noticed this blurb in today's Bisnow posting, with attention to Marvy Finger's developments...

Marvy has an incredible pipeline now: His development at Waugh has broken ground, and he’s planning projects at the old Milam Hotel site (an eight-story midrise), Wilcrest and I-10 (360 units launching this month), the site of the Fiesta on Dunlavy (a 399-unit project is on the drawing board), and 1900 Yorktown.
Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 3

It looks like the existing building is 8 stories, so hopefully were talking about a major renovation, *not* another teardown.

Well that adds to the confusion. The Ben Milam Hotel is 10 stories. See the photos earlier in this thread. Hopefully, they meant 8 stories of apartments on top of 2 floors of amenities/retail. (I had earlier confused the Ben Milam with the demolished William Penn, one block to the west.)

Edited by Houston19514

• 6 months later...