Ben Milam Hotel At 1521 Texas Ave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE:

The Ben Milam Hotel is now being renovated.

All of the asbestos has been removed.

A new chiller and cooling tower have been purchased.

Tenants have already been signed to move in.

On the first floor will be restaurants and a bank.

An attorney's office will occupy some of the floors.

Upper floors will be lofts.

A parking garage is to be added adjacent to the building.

I also learned that the Texaco building is also scheduled for renovations.

Equipment is being purchased now.

Current photos of the Ben Milam Hotel:

3yphr95.jpg

4i6pc13.jpg

2ujtwmv.jpg

2s79vs8.jpg

33xzo7t.jpg

2q9kwp2.jpg

47tqwix.jpg

2prbg4g.jpg

3308w0z.jpg

2ex35hc.jpg

UPDATE:

The Ben Milam Hotel is now being renovated.

All of the asbestos has been removed.

A new chiller and cooling tower have been purchased.

Tenants have already been signed to move in.

On the first floor will be restaurants and a bank.

An attorney's office will occupy some of the floors.

Upper floors will be lofts.

A parking garage is to be added adjacent to the building.

I also learned that the Texaco building is also scheduled for renovations.

Equipment is being purchased now.

That's great!!!!! :o In Aug I went to a game and saw people working in it, like everyone else I wasn't sure if they were getting ready to tear it down. Now we know

If you don't mind me asking,what's your source? Is there a website maybe any artist renderings? Tenant names?

Thanks for the update

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

That's great!!!!! :o In Aug I went to a game and saw people working in it, like everyone else I wasn't sure if they were getting ready to tear it down. Now we know

If you don't mind me asking,what's your source? Is there a website maybe any artist renderings? Tenant names?

Thanks for the update

I'm a Mechanical Engineer specializing in air conditioning design.

My information is mainly through equipment vendors.

For the Milam Hotel in particular, I spoke at length with the Construction Forman.

I learned some interesting stories about obstacles in getting the hotel renovated.

I forgot to mention that the hotel will include a historical area featuring some of the items saved.

The hotel once held offices for illegal gambling. The area could only be accessed through a secret door.

Though raided by police and shut down, the area has been untouched. Boards were still on the wall listing sporting events and scores.

When the mirrors were removed from the hotel rooms it was discovered that newspaper was used as padding behind every mirror. All of the newspapers are in good condition and were saved. They are all from the year 1928 which was when the hotel was being constructed.

I wish we there was a link to this information so that we can go back from time to time and read about updates, but thanks for the information anyway. This sounds great, if true. I've always wondered why some developer didn't take advantage of the ol' Ben Milam like others took advantage of some of the other older buildings near MMP.

yes, thanks for the information - i wish it was in the public domain, though :blush:

thank goodness something is finally happening there - david smith sure has been alot of talk over the past couple decades...

Edited by sevfiv

hey guys. this is my first post :D , but i am finally glad they are doing something with Ben Milam. this has been one of my favoriites and have been waiting for it to be developed. Sad to see the old William Penn go but hope this makes up for its great loss. Finally that sign on Crawford and Texas means something. :D:D:D

i have several pictures from both hotels and will post shortly for all to see.

And HELLO!! to all :o

hey guys. this is my first post :D , but i am finally glad they are doing something with Ben Milam. this has been one of my favoriites and have been waiting for it to be developed. Sad to see the old William Penn go but hope this makes up for its great loss. Finally that sign on Crawford and Texas means something. :D:D:D

i have several pictures from both hotels and will post shortly for all to see.

And HELLO!! to all :o

Cool, and Welcome Houston 1973 :D

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

• 1 month later...

Any news on this renovation? Today I noticed that most of the windows on the north and west sides of the building have been removed. I'm sure the pigeons appreciate that. :rolleyes: However, I didn't see any signs of activity.

Also: any theories as to why the bricks above the top-floor windows on the west side of the building look like they've been replaced? The color doesn't match. Could there have been a cornice on that side of the building which was removed?

• 1 month later...
Anything going on at the Ben Milam now?

happened to drive by it a couple days ago - there's a refuse elevator on one side of the building, but definitely nothing major - they work like molasses, or maybe not at all anymore.

my cynical forecast says that this will slowly wind down (no more $), then it will accidentally topple down overnight, then there will be even more parking for astros fans.

• 2 months later...
happened to drive by it a couple days ago - there's a refuse elevator on one side of the building, but definitely nothing major - they work like molasses, or maybe not at all anymore.

my cynical forecast says that this will slowly wind down (no more $), then it will accidentally topple down overnight, then there will be even more parking for astros fans.

Just drove by yesterday. Noticed some Surveyor markers in front of the hotel.

does anyone have a clue as to what's going on? I'm dying of curiosity. I asked a couple of employees at the Inn at the Ballpark and they don't know what's going on either. Not that they really noticed anything they seemed quite trapped in their own little worlds. :)

• 1 month later...

There is a sign on this lot (next to the Ben Milam Hotel) that says a new cafe is going to be built. I think it said the name was B&W Cafe. This is great -- especially if it's open before/after Astro's games. And it's great for the folks staying at the Inn at the Ballpark -- a less expensive option than Vic & Anthony's.

I would imagine that they wanted to be up and running by the start of the season but probably hit a snag that delayed things. Still, this is a great step in preserving the building. Hopefully more retail comes along and maybe some cool, swanky residential units on the higher floors.

Imagine if the Ballpark Towers had been built and what it might have done for BMS/Hotel.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

Hopefully more retail comes along and maybe some cool, swanky residential units on the higher floors.

The cafe is not actually in the hotel building -- but next door, directly across from Vic & Anthony's. But I would hope this would spur something to happen in the hotel building itself.

The cafe is not actually in the hotel building -- but next door, directly across from Vic & Anthony's. But I would hope this would spur something to happen in the hotel building itself.

right -- it's going to be on the la branch side where the retail / garage + swimming pool addition was (recent demolition)

i would think the hotel renovation (if that's indeed what's occurring) would want to keep up with the restaurant -- the awful smell still comes out of the windows

here's the sign for the "train-themed cafe" that nancy sarnoff wrote about a while back:

milambwcafe.jpg

i just don't get why, after 20+ years of sitting on the property and letting it rot, that Smith would spend the money to tear down the newer part of the complex and rebuild instead of putting that $ toward rehabbing the hotel part <_<

oh - the building permit for the restaurant was issued in january:

Project No:

Date:

1/11/2007

USE:

NEW BUILDING FOR RESTAURANT 1-1-2-A2-B 2003 IBC

Owner / Occupant:

BELLS&WHISTLES CAFE

Job Address:

1517 TEXAS ST

Buyer:

CONCEPT BUILDING & DESIGN