Midway is planning on redeveloping the current Levey Park on Richmond between Eastside and Wakeforest into a mini CityCentre-type development that will include a 16-story office, lofts, retail and a park. i've heard additional development is possible as well.

renderings should be floating around soon i'm sure.

• Like 4

Very interesting. This will be a neighbor to the new development at Richmond and Buffalo Speedway. I wonder if they plan to just clear cut the whole block or if they will be leaving some of the existing buildings. It's a pretty small area to squeeze all that into.

• Like 1

Midway is planning on redeveloping the current Levey Park on Richmond between Eastside and Wakeforest into a mini CityCentre-type development that will include a 16-story office, lofts, retail and a park. i've heard additional development is possible as well.

renderings should be floating around soon i'm sure.

You have a lot of inside scoops, tell us what you do :D

Does all this Richmond/Greenway development have anything to do with developer confidence in the University line being built one day?

Doubt it. Maybe they've heard otherwise from the city/mayor but all indications point to the University Line being delayed for the forseeable future, and who knows what can happen between now and then. I'd say confidence is faily low.

Doubt it. Maybe they've heard otherwise from the city/mayor but all indications point to the University Line being delayed for the forseeable future, and who knows what can happen between now and then. I'd say confidence is faily low.

My thinking behind that was because PM Realty, in my opinion, "randomly" (Why Greenway all of a sudden?) chose to build mixed-use there, is building a resi tower "close by", a rumor of a possible mixed-use was to be built across the street from PM's site and the Chronicle wrote a vague article last week saying Metro was confident it was still happening.

And now I just read this quote from PM's director of development,

"Inside the loop . . . is the area that we are very focused on," said Gregory. The Greenway Plaza area — which is centrally-located, generally walkable and situated along a planned light rail route — is attractive for mixed-use developments that serve an increasingly urban younger population.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/11-29-12-16-20-a-first-for-houston-developers-vow-to-save-grove-of-oak-trees-at-greenway-plaza-mixed-use-complex/

Maybe the developers know something we don't.

• Like 1

My thinking behind that was because PM Realty, in my opinion, "randomly" (Why Greenway all of a sudden?) chose to build mixed-use there, is building a resi tower "close by", a rumor of a possible mixed-use was to be built across the street from PM's site and the Chronicle wrote a vague article last week saying Metro was confident it was still happening.

And now I just read this quote from PM's director of development,

"Inside the loop . . . is the area that we are very focused on," said Gregory. The Greenway Plaza area — which is centrally-located, generally walkable and situated along a planned light rail route — is attractive for mixed-use developments that serve an increasingly urban younger population.

http://houston.cultu...ed-use-complex/

Maybe the developers know something we don't.

Very interesting find, perhaps you're right then. We shall see.

Awesome infill.

swstig, I have a question: Is there any hope for the surface lot situation in downtown? Will they ever stop tearing down existing (historic) buildings and start covering the lots?

i'm really not the person to ask to be honest with you... i'd venture to guess that theNiche could provide a much more educated answer. i do think you are starting to see a bigger push to develop surface lots, though, particualrly in the east side near the convention center especially now w the development incentive the downtown district is providing for residential. as for the tearing down of "historic" buildings, that simply comes down to their ability to be repurposed in a cost effective manner (duh).

• Like 1

Awesome infill.

swstig, I have a question: Is there any hope for the surface lot situation in downtown? Will they ever stop tearing down existing (historic) buildings and start covering the lots?

We will probably always see the occasional demolition of older buildings downtown (as do almost all cities, by the way).

As to covering the lots, about 45 blocks have been covered in the last 15 years or so.

Another 1/3 of a block of parking or so just recently disappeared to be replaced by a building (day-care facility).

Within the next year or 2, we will probably see another 5-10 blocks of parking disappear.

--1 1/2 blocks are in the process of disappearing right now for Finger's apartment building.

--The Atlanta company's high-rise apartment project will take another 3/4 block (and I guess take another old building out, unfortunately).

--The new convention hotel will probably take 1 1/2 blocks of parking out late next year/early 2014

--The associated parking garage will take another 1 1/2 blocks

--The new visitors center/museum will take some

--The 1 1/2 blocks behind the proposed convention hotel are being marketed and I think we'll probably see development reasonably soon.

--Hines may start a new building fairly soon taking another 3/4 block.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

Edit to previous post (Edit button is not appearing in the post):

As to covering the lots, about 45 blocks have been covered in the last 15 years or so.

Another 1/3 of a block of parking or so just recently disappeared to be replaced by a building (day-care facility).

Within the next year or 2, we will probably see another 5-10 blocks of parking disappear.

--1 1/2 blocks are in the process of disappearing right now for Finger's apartment building.

--The Atlanta company's high-rise apartment project will take another 3/4 block (and I guess take another old building out, unfortunately).

--The new convention hotel will probably take 1 1/2 blocks of parking out late next year/early 2014

--The associated parking garage will take another 1 1/2 blocks

--The new visitors center/museum will take some

--The 1 1/2 blocks behind the proposed convention hotel are being marketed and I think we'll probably see development reasonably soon.

--Hines may start a new building fairly soon taking another 3/4 block.

--Construction on the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts is slated to start in 2014. That will take another block.

If all of these expected projects happen in the next 1-2 years, that would be another 8 3/4 blocks of surface parking covered.

It doesn't seem like we have much in the way of concrete information here. It would make more sense if the plans are actually to redevelop the lots to the north, east and south of the park. That's quite a lot of land that looks pretty underutilized right now.

I think the underutilized land to the north and east you are referring to have been acquired by the Upper Kirby District for the planned expansion of the park/Civic Center. Not sure what underutilized land to the south you are referring to.

It doesn't seem like we have much in the way of concrete information here. It would make more sense if the plans are actually to redevelop the lots to the north, east and south of the park. That's quite a lot of land that looks pretty underutilized right now.

I think the underutilized land to the north and east you are referring to has been acquired by the Upper Kirby District for the planned expansion of the park/Civic Center. Not sure what underutilized land to the south you are referring to.

Purdue-

Your typed words make me feel so old but your link makes me feel "Forever Young!"

Sorry, had to be done.

What a great time to be 16 in Houston. Cruising lower Westheimer..., sneaking in to clubs like Red Square, Power Tools, NRG, and Numbers... Shopping for cassettes at Sound Warehouse, Record Rack, and Cactus... and all while wigging on your friend's mother's E!

• Like 1

I can only see these on my blackberry, but here are some renderings

http://www.munozalbi...-levy-park.html

Great find!

So, it appears the Midway proposal is to build an office building with ground floor retail on the north edge of an expanded and reconfigured Levy Park and an apartment building with ground floor retail on the south edge of the Park. Nice designs.

Edited by Houston19514

Not to get off topic, but, I clicked on the link and was looking at their projects and saw one for the downtown Macy's. Anybody have any info on that?? It looks amazing.

Yeah I saw the same thing I see that the client for this project is Hilcorp which is a an energy company which might be the offices in the macys building This project looks amazing I hope this happen!!

Perhaps Hilcorp owns the Macy's building.

Macy's hcad account http://hcad.org/records/details.asp?crypt=%94%9A%B0%94%BFg%84%8D%80%7Clh%8El%87tXtYW%9E%99%A2%D3%89%95%C2e%7CU%8A%7E%86%C0%AB%A8%AD%86%5E&bld=1&tab=2

Some form of Macy's or foleys owned it through 2006 when 1110 Main Partners took over.

Edited by lockmat