• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tree removal

HOUSTON -

It's moving day for eight massive trees in the Upper Kirby area.

The city of Houston is kicking off a multimillion dollar plan Tuesday to revamp Levy Park. On Tuesday morning crews started relocating several 40 to 70-year-old trees.

Eventually the park will serve as the centerpiece to Kirby Grove with year-round events, a community garden and a dog park.

Source with video: Link

• Like 1

This park would be a good opportunity in the future to bridge-cap over I-69 like Klyde Warren Park in Dallas.

Yeah, I went there..

i think you mean like Margaret T. Hance Park in Phoenix. ;)

believe me.. weve already gone there.. heh. (though not in this discussion.. Levy Park isnt next to the sunken portions of 59/i69.. its further down and the road is actually elevated at that spot. not to mention there is an existing structure between Levy Park and the freeway. but i thought the sunken portion of 59/i69 would be a cool location for a deck park too but the overwhelming consensus was that capping 59/i69 wouldnt be a good idea as it would block the decorative arch bridges from view. the freeway is fronted by the backs of houses on one side and a railroad track on the other anyways, so it wouldnt be that great of a location for a deck park. the best location (though we would have to sink 59/i69) IMO would be just north of the convention center, between downtown and EaDo/the East End. the east side is arguably even more cut off from downtown than midtown or the 4th ward (partly due to the convention center, not necessarily the width or layout of the freeway), so a central location bridging the gap between the two areas would be ideal. not to mention it would be smack in between Minute Maid and BBVA Compass Stadium, and could host events for game days at either venue, along with plenty of other organized events to connect the two communities together.

or if we wanted to go all out/fantasy.. trench 610W between Westheimer and San Felipe, since the area between those roads is booming so much on the east, while uptown continues to boom to the west, and build a deck park linking both areas together. it would be an enormous task, but maybe next time they widen/reconstruct 610 we could do it (assuming both sides of 610 continue to grow like they have been, necessitating a connection/link between the two sides).

(sorry for sidetracking so much.. heh)

• 1 month later...

simply gorgeous edifice!  sleek, striking, ultra modern, expensive.  reminds me a bit of "hotel alessandra".  midway cos, seems to have brilliant design strategist, as well as vision.  what a concept.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...