Beauchamp Estates Development In The Heights

houstonray

Ugh. I hate those. Not in a "because they're townhomes/patiohomes/whateverwhocares homes" kind of way. I just think they are cheap looking and ugly. There are much better looking townhomes, including ones built by this same company, all over the Heights. These, to me, are a design fail.

At least the garages face in rather than out.

Now that the ones at Ashland & 17th are done, they're less bad than I expected. Ultimately this increase in density will help make the retail/restaurants on 19th more viable longer term, and may ultimately lead to some improvement in the eastern end of 19th (do we really need 3 thrift shops within 1 block of each other?).

On a related note, driving down Yale/Waugh the other day, I counted no fewer than 4 large multi-family developments between 6th and Gray, including the (rumored) 300+ unit project at Yale and 6th, the project across from Walmart at Yale & Center, the project next to Whole Foods on Dallas and the project at Waugh & Gray. Probably >1000 units total.

I was the one that posted the picture. It is not this actual development, just one I saw they did elsewhere that I thought might be similar to what they have planned.

I've since learned a few more details. There will be twelve units. Six of them will be large, and will be new floor plans they've never built before and priced in the mid to upper six figures. Then there will be six more smaller units and priced close to 400s.

Take that for what it's worth. Looks like framing might be going up soon. Ought to be interesting to see the outcome. Based on the driveway/sewer connects, looks to me like the six big ones will face out onto Beauchamp and the the smaller six will be on the back side.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I drove by again today... my goodness that fence is hideous.  The whole scale is off..  the larger rocks they used to face the columns just look weird with the column height/size and the plain metal fencing.  My wife thinks it is the grout they used (because of the size of the rocks there is a lot of grout) that makes them so ugly.  Seriously it is terrible.

Yeah... my wife and I were joking that they should have taken design advice from McDonalds as their rock work looks much better. 

It is not just the round rocks Inappropriateness though, I'm pretty sure that fence would look terrible anywhere.

I think it is because rocks of that size and shape are completely foreign to this area. Limestone would have been cliche, but appropriate. Round stones are stupid.

The "rocks" are fake.  Well, they could be real rocks covered with a thin coating of colored concrete, but most likely they are just fake.

Since little bedrock is exposed in the Houston area, most rocks are foreign.  Maybe they will rename the development Karankawan Estates and make them out of wattle and daub?

Better get used to it.  Weekley is making a pretty big play for inside the loop.  They are doing 60 homes on the lot that is currently storage for the Ford dealership at Shep and 6th, 68 townhomes at TC Jester in Cottage Grove where the elementary school used to be, 19 townhomes on Patterson in the west end, all in addition to the few dozen already built at the MKT trail and Nicholson.  Of course the standards for townhome architecture in Houston are so low that it takes some effort to put out something that stands out as ugly in comparison to what is already out there.

Not sure why they have so much lick 'n stick stone on them, but you have to give Weekley credit for trying to reflect the prevalent craftsman architecture of the neighborhood instead of doing another stucco and stone Rice Military townhome or fake New Orleans Italianate thing like so many other builders are determined to do in the Heights.  Pricing is a bit agressive, but it is zoned to Travis.  I wonder if the townhomes on the butt end of the development will be priced less than those facing the street.

200 bucks a foot isn't that bad.

194.  I said it was a bit aggressive.  It is ahead of what builders are asking for in Shady Acres and First Ward by a decent amount.  Most everything in those neighborhoods is generally150-175 per sq ft.  Travis certainly adds value.  But I don't see many people with little kids looking to go with a townhome. 

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=32552584&v=s

These must be the units in front.  Larger and pretty pricey, though a bit less per sq ft. 

Given that there are plenty of new townhomes coming on the market, I just think they are asking for a bit too much of a premium for the neighborhood.  But, then again, sometimes builders will price high to get people to think they are getting a deal when they get the property for 5-10% below list.

I think the pricing is good, as long as they are finished nicely.  Hopefully this will be a catalyst to get rid of those crappy buildings on the other side of the Church Condo's Parking Gymnasium as well as the crappy apartments on the corner of beauchamp and pecore. 

• 2 months later...

The materials just look bad. They don't fit in with any of the architecture style in the area. It looks like a suburban version of a townhome, if that makes any sense.

It is generally par for the course north of I-10 in terms of quality of construction.  I have seen better work done in Montrose/River Oaks on higher end townhomes.  Townhomes don't fit in with the neighborhood.  However, I will give them some credit for at least paying lip service to the craftsman architecture in the neighborhood.  If you look at the renderings in the har.com post above, you will see that they are giving it the old college try, save and except for the lick and stick stone siding.

I'm always impressed when developers do anything architecurally out of the norm.  Even if it is just simple tapered columns.  I also like the floor plan of the bigger ones (at least for a 3 story townhome).   I drive by these at least twice a day so I've been keeping a pretty strong eye on them.   I still hate the terrible looking rock fence columns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Beauchamp Estates Development In The Heights

Archived