Memories Of The Heights

WesternGulf

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/5995/a9ik.jpg

So what was the purpose of that? Not getting enough business or could not afford the rent? I don't know, I am just assuming. But I did look them up and eventhough they are still pretty much in the Heights, it looks like they moved to Beauchamp Street which is actually south of 10th. Would it be appropriate to change the name? :D Anyway, this is just some of my frustration with this city changing up on me so much. Anybody have pics of their new location?

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in a bungalow in the Woodland Heights that was built, sometime between 1915-1920. Can y'all give me advice on how to research the ownership history? We'd like to find out who the builder was, when it was built exactly, who all the owners have been through the years, etc? I am sure I have to start at the tax office but what documents do I ask to look at? Someone once told me to check names at the library too but now sure what to look up there either.

Thanks!

I'm trying to do the same (same neighborhood too, WELCOME). I started at the old library downtown (second floor texas room) and looked through the city directories. each year, you can look up the st address in the back and see who lived there.

After this, I haven't gotten any further, but I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

houston ray...I also replied to this same one over in the Historic section...but in case you don't see that one..

here is a good place to start:

http://www.houstonheights.org/historicalresearch.htm

the sanborn maps can be accessed online through the library (you must have a library account)

and the last forty or so years of deed records are listed at the Harris County Clerk's website

with an account at ancestry.com (or probably free from the library) you can find old census records (when i looked up my home it showed the renters living in it but didn't list the owners)

looks like pretty much everything else will have to be done in the library (old directories where Wendyps said) or sifting through the deed records downtown at the clerk's office..

Edited by heightslurker

• 1 month later...

In the Texas room of the old Library, I found a 1910 sales booklet for the woodland heights. It is in the neighborhood folders. It is so neat!!!!

Pictures of some homes, pics of some interiors!!!! and the read is just classic! The area was apparently dry and, unfortunatley segregated. It is such a great historical picture though of the kinds of people who originally bought the homes. I'll see if I can scan it and attach it here.

I can't figure out how to post it here, so let me know if you want one and i'll email it to you... the quality isn't very good...but you can read it and always go to the library.

Does anyone have a website that they can put it on maybe and I can link it?

yes, yes i do!

if you want to post on your own, you can upload it to a free space (tinypic, etc). are they jpg's?

me too...or i can just wait and read it off of sevfiv's website. :D

• 5 months later...

I was at a new year's party on that street On new year's eve (duh! as opposed to the Christmas one...anyway..) and as I was going to the home, I seemed to remember (and it appears like it was) a railroad ROW at one point. At what point was it converted?

I found out that Hopper road was called Myrtle street in the early sixties by looking at the Harris County Block office Tax books. you may have luck there.

Edited by Marty

I was at a new year's party on that street On new year's eve (duh! as opposed to the Christmas one...anyway..) and as I was going to the home, I seemed to remember (and it appears like it was) a railroad ROW at one point. At what point was it converted?

It was always a street and a rail line. When we were kids we would ride our bikes there and watch the cars squish our penney.

The rail has been gone a long time-now it's to be a future bikeway. Here's the HAIF thread.

My grandmother lived at 14th and Waverley and I spent many hours watching those trains roll by. My best friend near her lived on Herkimer, and his house backed up to Nicholson.

My guess is that the railroad ceased operations somewhere in the 60s, and possibly the later 60s. BTW, the street was called Railroad originally, but I don’t know when it was changed.

Edited by Heights2Bastrop

• 4 months later...

I am wracking my brain and doing search on internet.

One of the places in Heights I lived was Bayland and Helen (1980 or so).. one of my best friends lived on Byrne and Florence.. my friend George took me and this guy I was living with to this outdoor (duh) beer garden, I believe on Morrison, around the corner.. It was nice.. went there, probably twice.. saw live music there once. Picnic tables, horseshoes.. beer of course.

I THOUGHT it was called either Scholtz Beer Garden or Schultz's Beer Garden but can find nothing on the net referencing this.

Going to Kerrville this weekend, but I guess I need to drive by and try to find it.

anyone?

I THOUGHT it was called either Scholtz Beer Garden or Schultz's Beer Garden but can find nothing on the net referencing this.

There is a Scholz Garten, but it's in Austin - perhaps you're conflating that name with the other place you're thinking of in the Heights?

Scholz Garten

Edited by mkultra25

You're not thinking of the old Garden in the Heights on Feagan are you?

nah, was in the Woodland Heights very near where I lived. Not as big as Bavarian Gardens (same thing). Drove in the area where I used to live a few weeks ago. I believe it was on Morrison.. street parallel to Beachamp.

Not Scholz, or Schultz.. I'm determined to find the locatin. Sholz Beer Garden? Shultz Beer Garden? This was in the early 80's.

Was it the Rising Star?

Noop, but I used to party at Rising Star lots. I hear LOTS of neighbor complaints re: noice. Favorite band I saw there: The Dishes!

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know if there is a good online resource for old bungalow floor plans? I'd love to have a catalog of several hundred to look through and see if we could find ours. All I know is it was a built from a plan in a book, back in the 1910's.

I was hoping maybe someone somewhere tried creating a database of plans and elevations.

Does anyone know if there is a good online resource for old bungalow floor plans? I'd love to have a catalog of several hundred to look through and see if we could find ours. All I know is it was a built from a plan in a book, back in the 1910's.

I was hoping maybe someone somewhere tried creating a database of plans and elevations.

Gustav Stickley's plans were poplular during that time period.

You will worship Dover Publishing Bungalow Books, etc as I do.

The Dover books are great. Looking through them, I have found many plans that I recognize locally. This is especially interesting, since many of the original publishers of the plans were located out of state. Catalog plans were often copied or shared between companies, also adding to their duplication and far-flung distribution. Margaret Culbertson wrote an interesting book about local catalog homes. I think it's called "Texas Houses By the Book" or something like that.