Indian Lodge, Ft. Davis

WillowBend56

• 7 years later...

Had reservations there for 4 days in September.

That got cut back to Fridays and Saturdays only about a month before we showed up.

Then 24 hours before we were to check in, we got a call that Indian Lodge was closed until early October 2020

because some of the staff tested positive for COVID-19.

No alternatives were provided or even a list of places.

We ended staying here in Ft. Davis on short notice and liked it: Mountain Trail Lodge

https://www.mountaintrailslodge.com/

• 3 weeks later...

We had reservations to go this June, ended up being canceled. We've stayed at Indian Lodge three times now and love it, though the last time was 2016, so definitely overdue. The only complaint I have is the Black Bear Restaurant. Bad ambiance and appalling food. Same complaint I have about the dining room at the Chisos Mountain Lodge in Big Bend. I compare them to Mather Lodge in Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas, the dining room has great ambiance, and though they don't strive for haute cuisine, they do simple country cooking very well.

• 2 years later...

Indian Lodge closed this month for a major renovation project, isn't expected to reopen until January 2024. It's weird because it closed for a big part of 2017 for what was called an "unprecedented" renovation (although at only $1.5 million it's hard to imagine it being all that extensive). I haven't been since 2016, so I didn't see what was done (I also heard they were going to be doing a major revamp of the Black Bear, the onsite restaurant around that timerenovating the dining room, adding outdoor seating, an entirely new kitchen. Although recent looks at their menu shows the same choices of food that was always so bad whenever I ate there before. TPWD website provides no details on what the 2023 renovation will entail, which is realy frustrating for an historic, publicly owned facility, not to have some more details of what's being done to it, some renderings of what it will look like when it's finished.

• Thanks 1