Penguin Arms Apartments At 2902 Revere St.

Guest danax

It's on Revere & Kipling, a couple of blocks from Kirby & Alabama. Quite large and quite impressive, although it's looking a little shabby. As a guy who was a kid in the 60s, this is what futuristic was all about. 4 A/C units outside! I took some photos but didn't get the address. You Mod fans out there must know about this one. It's right behind the proposed Kirby Condos (was that the name?). Will this one end up in the landfill too?

b8lish.jpg Revere St. side.

b8lkrl.jpg Corner shot.

b8ll50.jpg Kipling St. entrance.

Yup... definitely the Penguin Arms. As Alan Hess mentioned in his lecture last week, this building was mentioned in the famous 1950s article that initially labeled Googie architecture. It is indeed a wonderful building and, from what I saw, it looked like one unit was opening up. What a cool building.

It's an apartment building then. That explains all the A/C units. I figured it was a huge house. Well, hopefully its importance will enable it to survive if that neighborhood converts to mid-rises.

Every time I go past the Penguin Arms I think, "You just know that the people who live have to be pretty cool!"  :)

I am a little confused. Is this place still apartments. I too alsways thought it was an individual house with some cooky old person living there. My image is shattered.

• 1 month later...
I am a little confused. Is this place still apartments. I too alsways thought it was an individual house with some cooky old person living there. My image is shattered.

Around 1997 or so, the NE apartment (that faced the corner) was available and I went and took a look. The bottom floor is sunken below the ground. There was quite a bit of water damage and water intrusion from poorly sealed windows. The interior felt very late '60s with lots of unfinished wood.

I would have loved to rent it, but I had too many cars at the time and street parking was not acceptable for some of them.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have been curious about this address for a few months now (I have a good friend on Steel St. and pass it all the time). In the nearly three years since those photos were taken this building has really taken a downhill slide. Too bad - it's some very neat architecture.

I think if you search Arthur Moss on here you will find some more buildings that he did. I also have an old newspaper ad of another apartment complex that I need to upload. It still exists, but has been given a major facelift. It's on Cummins lane, and is next door to a rather large Bill Jenkins designed apt. complex which has also been given that dreaded facelift treatment.

This building is probably one we should cherish while we still can.

Jason

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have been curious about this address for a few months now (I have a good friend on Steel St. and pass it all the time). In the nearly three years since those photos were taken this building has really taken a downhill slide. Too bad - it's some very neat architecture.

We've (meaning Jason and I) tried several times in the past to get in touch with Phil Moss, whom we presume is Arthur Moss' brother. Phil was also Arthur's business partner in at least one venture (the Triton 101 apartments). Phil's son Gary owns Moss Landscaping. Aside from that, and three houses I've found (that have wavy roofs) that I once ascribed to Allen Williams, there's little or no trace of Arthur Moss. I'd love to know what happened to him.

I think if you search Arthur Moss on here you will find some more buildings that he did. I also have an old newspaper ad of another apartment complex that I need to upload. It still exists, but has been given a major facelift. It's on Cummins lane, and is next door to a rather large Bill Jenkins designed apt. complex which has also been given that dreaded facelift treatment.

This building is probably one we should cherish while we still can.

Jason

I lived in an apartment on Cummins Lane back in the late 70's/early 80's when my parents moved us "inside the loop" from our southwest Houston/Westbury home. I was still living at home and in my first years of college and working in the Galleria. Which complex is the Jenkins designed complex and which is the Moss complex? Our address was 3131 Cummins. It was a great apartment, very large and great floor plan. Best feature was the sliding glass door entrances from outside in each of the two secondary bedrooms that my sister and I occupied. Great for coming in at all hours without distubing the parentsas well as sneaking people in with you. B)

• 2 years later...

I saw a "for rent" sign on the Penguin Arms, 2902 Revere -- the wildest apartment building in Houston, the one that looks like an accordion on its side. Designed by Arthur Moss; built in 1951; so astounding that it appeared as an illustration in the magazine article that gave Googie architecture its name.

The weird ruffly curtains were still in the windows, which makes me think that the old lady who owns the place may still live there. Anybody know anything?

I lived at the Penguin Arms in 1988 in one of the upstairs apartments. Although, it made for good party conversation to brag that I lived there, it had a lot of major faults. The mold smell on the carpeting in the hallway was enough to make me hold my breath as I walked in. I had to disconnect my oven because of the gas leak. The clincher was when the landlord used to let himself in while I was at work to go through my things. Not to mention the people who would stand on the lawn taking pictures of the place while I was walking around in my nightgown. It was fun for a couple of years when i was a lot younger.

Shame that they have let the place go to such decay.

From all the stories I've heard, the landlords are about a nutty as people can be. The cops are there at least once a month just dealing with them. I like the building but wouldn't wish crazy landlords on anyone.

• 4 weeks later...

What are some of the stories you've heard? I can deal with a crazy landlord who leaves me alone. Intrusiveness such as what is mentioned here is of course out of the question. Why are the police involved this much?

Any help anyone can give would be great. I'm seriously in like with this building. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I noticed  today a request for variance sign on the Penguin Arms property, for variance of parking regulations to allow adaptive reuse, or similar words.

I'd love to see the Penguin Arms respectfully restored, it's one of my favorites :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I and my then roommate partied one night in one those apartments back in the summer of 1970. The guy had a Christmas tree set up in his living room because he wanted everyone to be in the Christmas spirit all year long when ever they were in his place. I was turned on to the band It's A Beautiful Day that night. I always thought that was a cool apartment building.

blue, somehow your Q ship (which I've always been fond of, BTW) now makes more sense.

Q ship? Are you talking about my avatar? If so that's one of my pieces of light art. That's a pic of it at night with the lights on. It hangs on the wall like a painting and it's 58in x 58in x 2in.  

• The title was changed to Ultra Mod In Upper Kirby

Archived