City Selling Block 101

asubrt

i could have sworn they were talking about putting residential on this block?

Yes, they (Houston First Corporation) were talking about residential on this block.  They put it on the market and set a date for receiving proposals.  None of the crack journalists in this town have ever followed up on the story...  So who knows?  Perhaps they received no proposals.  Perhaps they received no good proposals.  Perhaps they have sold the property to one of the proposal-makers...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this project not going to move along as fast as expected? It also isn't listed on Central Houston's Development Map.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2013-10-01/131001_Current_Projects_11x17.pdf

Strange, it was listed on September's. maybe they know something we don't. Doesn't seem like a good sign.

September map: www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2013-09-13/130913_Current_Projects_Map_FOR_UPLOAD.pdf

Downtown Houston I think just had the site shown as "Potential Residential".  As far as I know there was nothing ever definite proposed for the block so it was probably just a nice idea.  

Sometimes they get a bit ahead of themselves perhaps.

This just may be the proposal for the site. One is a hotel and the other is residential.

wsc-hotel-west-elevation-b.jpg

"World Hall of Sports (WHS) is envisioned as an important infrastructure project in both the recently designated Houston Convention District (HCD) and the Downtown Entertainment District (DED) and possibly also in the Midtown Museum District (MMD).  It will be a revitalization, sports, entertainment, cultural and educational development.  A new expanded George R. Brown Convention Center plan will double the size and impact of conventions to Houston’s economy.  That plan indicates added pedestrian-friendly amenities within walking distance will be needed as part of City proposed $6 billion in new Convention District facilities.

The proposed project would result in the creation of an autonomous City of Houston-led joint adventure that could include Harris County, Houston Independent School District and the Sports Authority. Nonprofits World Hall of Sports and Global Sports Institute Foundation will join for-profits WSCLLC and Global Sports Investment Capital, to develop a full downtown block or blocks."

facilities-map-location-b.jpg

facilities-map-4plan-b.jpg

http://worldsportscenter.net/about-project/

So wait, it's 2 buildings on one block or two sides of the same building in the rendering? It looks alright and I like the height but I agree it seems a little off.. I'm just hoping the residential the city was hoping would go on this block doesn't end up being low/mid rises

Interesting.... Can't say I care for the architecture nor the name or concept, though. Truth be told this doesn't look like a legitimate project but what do I know.

I actually like the rendering and concept of two of these. It's not a flat top like the rest Houston is accustomed to getting. I would love for this to be built. 

On another note, I do have a question for you. Wont get into specifics on anything but all these proposals in Houston, is this it? Are there more projects that will come forth and unveil themselves in the next year or two?

I miss all the Kemah/Galveston Bay/Clear Lake/Galveston proposals before the financial crash. Things like Jennings Island, etc were nifty.

• 5 months later...

Edit: FOR CONTEXT, this started from the Marriott thread. So "lot just north" meaning lot just north of Marriott.

Are we expecting work on the lot just north of it? That lot has been closed for several days as well.

Are we expecting work on the lot just north of it? That lot has been closed for several days as well.

I have been. There was an article that said they wanted that block on a similar construction schedule as the Marriott. It'll be interesting if any of the reporters ever write a story on what's going on though....

I have been. There was an article that said they wanted that block on a similar construction schedule as the Marriott. It'll be interesting if any of the reporters ever write a story on what's going on though....

Interesting. Well they just blocked it off this past weekend as they did with the Marriott lot. I assumed it was only temporary so I didn't report it but even on the weekdays, it is still closed. They put in those large orange barrel cones on each of the driveways leading on to the lot and put chains attached to each of them with yellow ribbons on each chain. It looks like something is definitely going there soon. Surprised we haven't gotten word of it here at HAIF Headquarters.

ROFL

Reporters in Houston writing a story on what's goin on.  The very idea is hilarious.  Sadly.

Thanks for the laugh.  ;-)

Here's the article. Hopefully someone knows something and can share with us the information! The amount of cranes that will be up in this part of downtown by this time next year will be staggering.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/convention-district-makeover/

Well that's exactly what I'm seeing then. I guess they found the mixed-use developer...?

Excerpt from the article ClutchCity posted:

Houston First COO of hotels Peter McStravick and John Harris tell us they want that site to go to a mixed-use developer and, in particular, get retail and residential uses. Peter says Houston First has a quick timeline for the site; they want it to be developed in conjunction with the hotel.

They closed off both properties on the same weekend so it appears to be a go.. whatever it is.

are we sure they arent just using the site as a staging area for construction of the Marriott? seems hard to believe that in todays day and age they are able to sneak in a project like this without any info being leaked.

Perhaps.

Then again, we never got a rendering of the Savoy Hotel renovation until just a few weeks ago. I don't know.. we shall see in few weeks!

• 1 month later...

They closed off the lot again, this time with chains. The only side with barrels now is the side facing the Marriott Marquis.

13940191020_e2418821f9_b.jpg

The billboard there says nothing.

• 2 months later...

So the City owns this?

Why on HCAD does it say "current owner" owns it? And why do some accounts say "current owner" anyway? The account basically traces back to Louis Macey. Anyone know who that is?

http://www.hcad.org/records/details.asp?crypt=%94%9A%B0%94%BFg%84%8D%80%7Bjd%8El%87tXt%5EW%9E%99%A2%D3%89%95%C2e%7CU%8A%80%86%C0%AB%A8%AD%86%5E&bld=1&tab=

• 3 months later...

interesting.  What is the structure east of 59 between Polk / St Emanuel / Bell / Leeland?  Another hotel right?  Also, originally the block south of George R Brown was meant to be an extension of the convention center.  This shows four full blocks dedicated to a parking garage.    

Archived