City Selling Block 101

asubrt

The agency that runs the city’s convention business is selling a prominent downtown parcel for what it hopes will become a retail and residential development.

Houston First Corp. has hired HFF to market the 110,000-square-foot tract, which is bounded by Capitol, Rusk, Crawford and Avenida de las Americas.

The land is surrounded by new and proposed development. A new convention center hotel is being planned just south of the site.

http://blog.chron.co...owntown-parcel/

Based on the DT block map, it looks like this is block 101 and part of block 119. Hopefully something impressive goes in here, as it will be next door to the new convention center hotel and the cultural heritage center.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On google maps it shows those two really old homes on the smaller parcel, which I thought were recently just moved there? Or is that an old image and they actually moved them some place else? I wonder what will become of them.

Also, I think this is a slightly different article than the Nancy's blog post http://www.chron.com...ket-4038323.php

Official Listing: http://www.hfflp.com...=cbd super&OF=5

Executive Summary http://www.hfflp.com... Flyer.pdf&DT=1

Old rendering, they just added the labels. Looks like they would build on top of Jackson St., too.

city%2520property%2520sale.jpg

southerview_convention%2520hotel.jpg

• 2 months later...

On the third bullet under residential in Downtown's 4th Quarter 2012 Real Estate update it says all the offers were due to Houston First on January 24th. Hopefully they announce finalists pretty soon like how they chose the developer for the GRBCC hotel. It'll be exciting to see and of course hope its tall!

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2013-01-02/Downtown_Real_Estate_Update_2012-4Q-2.pdf

they could get a variance, I'm sure.

I'm not certain what the minimum distance is, but I think it's walking distance, not direct (as the crow flies) distance.

300 feet using legal walking means, ie, crosswalks. I got a beer license directly across the street from a daycare/school on Prairie. We were 302 feet away from their front door by way of crosswalk, but directly across the street. Hubcap Grill is there now.

The HSPVA is the problem. HISD schools have a 1000 foot buffer around them. They could kill off all future bars in that side of downtown.

The HSPVA is the problem. HISD schools have a 1000 foot buffer around them. They could kill off all future bars in that side of downtown.

Is it possible to make an exception where only the blocks immediately surrounding HSPVA are dry or something to that extent? Bars seem like a major component needed to achieve the 24/7 activity people want to create downtown. 

300 feet using legal walking means, ie, crosswalks. I got a beer license directly across the street from a daycare/school on Prairie. We were 302 feet away from their front door by way of crosswalk, but directly across the street. Hubcap Grill is there now.

Yikes, that could be a problem.  How do they measure that 1000 feet?  The same way as the 300 feet?  Does vertical travel count?  Maybe they could put the school on top of ten floors of parking?  And maybe 10 floors of hotel and 10 floors of condos?  ;-)

No, it is worse. The school exception is measured 1000 feet from property line to property line. Restaurants who derive less than 50% of their sales from alcohol are exempt from the school rule, and there are some interesting exemptions for hotel bars, that may be called the "Fertitta Rule". I believe the hotel rule is what allowed Fertitta, a good Catholic, to open a hotel bar across the street from the Annunciation Church. 

Yikes, that could be a problem.  How do they measure that 1000 feet?  The same way as the 300 feet?  Does vertical travel count?  Maybe they could put the school on top of ten floors of parking?  And maybe 10 floors of hotel and 10 floors of condos?  ;-)

It's HSPVA. I don't think they measure with rulers. Rather, they measure via interpretive dance.

I admire the Kafka-esque qualities of purposefully locating an art-centric school in the urban central district of a city only to conclude that part and parcel of urban life is legally incompatible with the codified requirements of an appropriate school environment. 

We like to keep it real, but not too real. 

I admire the Kafka-esque qualities of purposefully locating an art-centric school in the urban central district of a city only to conclude that part and parcel of urban life is legally incompatible with the codified requirements of an appropriate school environment. 

We like to keep it real, but not too real. 

Too bad Dave Chappelle isn't still doing his show skits, this could be another installment of "when keeping it real goes wrong".

According to google maps 1000ft from the edge of that block goes out to Dallas, Crawford, Prairie, and Travis. That's almost all of downtown.

Too bad Dave Chappelle isn't still doing his show skits, this could be another installment of "when keeping it real goes wrong".

According to google maps 1000ft from the edge of that block goes out to Dallas, Crawford, Prairie, and Travis. That's almost all of downtown.

That is clearly unworkable.  I hope we are not the only ones thinking about this.

y'all are crazy to think that the city wouldn't grant a variance on something like that... i mean seriously.

Do you mean grant a global variance as it relates to the HSPVA?   That is the solution that is needed.  Is it really all that obvious such a thing will necessarily happen?     Requiring every potential liquor license holder in most of the downtown area to get a variance is not really a workable solution. 

I got a beer license directly across the street from a daycare/school on Prairie. We were 302 feet away from their front door by way of crosswalk, but directly across the street. Hubcap Grill is there now.

Did you use to run Firehouse Grill sandwich shop?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived