McGovern Centennial Gardens At 1500 Hermann Dr.

lockmat

the park needed a renovation of the botanical gardens, happy to see it finally being done........wish it were more aggressive in it's design and wish the golf course was taken out......honestly so many other uses could be built in it's place, softball, soccer or add more land to the zoo and garden spaces.......also underground parking would be great.......

There is no botanical garden at Hermann Park. I agreed, if the golf course wasn't there it would make an excellent spot for a botanical garden. For now the best hope for room to expand is to turn all the surface lots into one garage.

the park needed a renovation of the botanical gardens, happy to see it finally being done........wish it were more aggressive in it's design and wish the golf course was taken out......honestly so many other uses could be built in it's place, softball, soccer or add more land to the zoo and garden spaces.......also underground parking would be great.......

This. I don't think inner city public golf courses make much sense in the inner city. I wish they would convert it to several baseball fields, soccer fields, and tennis/bball if there's room. Be awesome to have more youth and adult sports leagues.

Edited by kdog08
  • Like 1

Sigh. I understand funding is a big issue for this but I wish we could do better with our parking solutions for our marque park. 

Seriously, it would have been great if they did an underground parking garage like Discovery Green. That way they could build multiple levels downward and had greenspace on top. But like you said, they were probably constrained by a budget.

• Like 1

I don't think any of us really care for the parking solution, but Discovery Green was a very high profile job with a bigger budget because it was seen as a major intervention type project and so got a lot of funding to really change the area. I think this gets it's budget more from donations and so by it's very nature it has a stricter budget. Always something that can be added upon in the future and with development already beginning to pick up in the area, I'm sure after 3-5 years we might see that parking lot turned into something better.

I didn't notice it in the picture above mine but they are building a massive staircase in the round mound. You can barely see it in my picture.

I don't see a massive staircase in your picture.  But, FWIW, I believe the plan is for a walkway winding up around the "mound", and a water feature coming down the center of the side seen in your picture. 

See renderings here

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

I don't see a massive staircase in your picture. But, FWIW, I believe the plan is for a walkway winding up around the "mound", and a water feature coming down the center of the side seen in your picture.

See renderings here

Houston19514. Always setting the record straight. Thanks!

I don't see a massive staircase in your picture.  But, FWIW, I believe the plan is for a walkway winding up around the "mound", and a water feature coming down the center of the side seen in your picture. 

See renderings here

at first thats what i thought it was too. then i wasnt sure/thought it may be a large staircase. now im back to agreeing that its a water feature. i guess the water flows under the spiral walkway down the front..

at first thats what i thought it was too. then i wasnt sure/thought it may be a large staircase. now im back to agreeing that its a water feature. i guess the water flows under the spiral walkway down the front..

Yup, that's what I thought. But that water feature just sounds even more impressive. It's going to be beautiful.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As far as I know, that is still the plan.

They've still got some work to do.

wow they do have a lot of landscaping left to do. are you in the Parklane or something? heh. hopefully the plants are mature transplants from elsewhere and not new growth/small immature plants.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a private party tomorrow night for members of The Hermann Park Conservancy. If you are not a member; join. It's a great organization and there are several different affordable options for membership. Plus, you get perks like free toy-train passes, tickets for paddle boat rides, and even zoo discounts. All money raised goes to projects like this one.

• Like 3