Skyhouse Houston II: Multifamily At 1044 Jefferson St.

lockmat

Bad news, folks. Late this afternoon the whole project was reduced to rubble under the gaze of an angry God. I got this shot just as the foundations were giving out, and out of a blinding light a voice said "THOU SHALT NOT RAISE MORE THAN ONE FLOOR PER WEEK, YE FOLLOWERS OF BABBLE":

10-17-13.JPG

Alright, it was just a van fire. But still the most exciting part of my week.

My sides.... :lol:

Yeah this is honestly the first I've ever heard about it becoming a park. As far as I knew it the plan was to be renovated and reused..

Ah, we'll according to the downtown development/planning committee it's going to be turned into a park. Someone else also heard the same thing before that report/PDF came out.

heres the screenshot of that slide with the Days Inn highlighted in green for park space. it was discussed a bit in the downtown subforum and elsewhere.

Screenshot2013-09-15at75141PM_zps765c2ae

Edited by cloud713

From all the info that is out there, it seems as if  the park is just an idea by some committee trying to re-visualize southern dt and nothing more.

That is the Downtown Planning and Development Department.. not some committee. i would say its more than just a vision, as much of the PDF highlighted very real projects and things that are being implemented downtown in the coming years, though thats not to say people arent out there trying to figure out a way to repurpose the Days Inn structure. i guess it all comes down to who owns it. who is that by the way?

That is the Downtown Planning and Development Department.. not some committee. i would say its more than just a vision, as much of the PDF highlighted very real projects and things that are being implemented downtown in the coming years, though thats not to say people arent out there trying to figure out a way to repurpose the Days Inn structure. i guess it all comes down to who owns it. who is that by the way?

No, that is from a presentation put together by Central Houston, Inc.'s Planning and Development group. CHI is a non-profit organization  and that presentation is even listed as the first bullet point on the link provided. There is no "Downtown Planning & Development Department" on the governmental level.

For years, they have highlighted prospects for development that are both in motion and are simply just proposals including the myriad of plans for the old Holiday/Days/Heaven on Earth Inn over the past decade or so.

As for the SkyHouse thread - LarryDierker's picture shows a view you don't see too often. Looks like it will blend in quite well and definitely add density in that section.

No, that is from a presentation put together by Central Houston, Inc.'s Planning and Development group. CHI is a non-profit organization and that presentation is even listed as the first bullet point on the link provided. There is no "Downtown Planning & Development Department" on the governmental level.

For years, they have highlighted prospects for development that are both in motion and are simply just proposals including the myriad of plans for the old Holiday/Days/Heaven on Earth Inn over the past decade or so.

As for the SkyHouse thread - LarryDierker's picture shows a view you don't see too often. Looks like it will blend in quite well and definitely add density in that section.

Ah thanks for setting me straight. Interesting that the PDF had the same name as the city planning and development department.

• Like 1

does the bottom level count as 2 floors or no? seems like someone was saying the lowest section was 2 stories, but maybe they just meant the lowest floor the equivalent height of 2 stories. drove by today and they are working on 22 (or 23 if the bottom is 2 stories). id imagine we should start seeing the set backs in the corner columns starting around this floor.

I count it as 2 floors (I might have made the comment to which you are referring). It's not just a double height first floor; there is a second floor that is visible from ground level, but it is not visible from the construction camera because it is a smaller footprint in the middle of the building.

• Like 1

Webcam update:  It looks like they have poured the 23rd floor.  From the rendering, this should be the last "regular" floor before things start getting smaller.  Looking back at the rendering though, despite the fact this building is only 24 floors, I didn't realize how much higher the top is than the last floor.  Not that it matters on a building this size but something I had overlooked until now.

Skyhouse_zps3cc29510.jpg

The red line is where they are currently.

• Like 4