Galveston Railroad Museum At 123 Rosenberg Ave.

If you missed riding the TEXAS LIMITED to Galveston back in the 1990s, there's a one-time opportunity on November 10, 2012 to ride there again as part of a commemoration of the revived Galveston Railroad Museum since the devastation of Hurricane Ike. The route will be over the former Santa Fe line instead of the GH&H line that the TEXAS LIMITED traversed.

Scroll down to the very bottom of this link to find the large trip icon and click on it:

http://www.galvestonrrmuseum.com/

Historically there were three railroad routes to Galveston and one electric interurban route from Houston.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The train ride and weather were great! Lots of folks turned out at the depot in Houston to see it leave. The train itself was almost full. It had to wend its way around the east side of Houston until we got to Mykawa and then we started cruising. Part of the reason for the trip was the transportation of two restored passenger diesel locomotives to the Galveston Railroad Museum and of course it's official reopening since recovering from Hurricane Ike.

The museum had to scrap or sell a fair amount of its exhibit equipment. They were just too far gone from the ravages of salt water.

Here's what the train was about:

http://www.railpictures.net/album/419/

Lunch at Gaido's was a nice interlude until we left back to Houston around 3:30 PM, returning at a faster clip.

• 2 months later...

I find it rather pathetic that 100 years ago the Houston-Galveston rail was running fine but now we have no such thing. Just goes to show that at one time people cared about people and now it's all about money. Convincing people that cars are the best thing since God was no small feat. Just makes me shake my head.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I went to the railroad museum today, they said they're hoping to do this 3-4 times a year and hopefully start a Galveston-houston train at some point with the museum location being the depot

I'd be very curious to see proposed ridership numbers for a Houston-Galveston train. The population of Galveston is less than 50,000 people. I don't know what the statistics are on how many of them are actually commuters to Houston, but I'm guessing that it's a reasonably small number.

I find it rather pathetic that 100 years ago the Houston-Galveston rail was running fine but now we have no such thing. Just goes to show that at one time people cared about people and now it's all about money. Convincing people that cars are the best thing since God was no small feat. Just makes me shake my head.

100 years ago, most folks didn't have cars. As they started buying cars, they quit taking the train. Taking the train to Galveston seems like a huge pain, especially if you have a cooler, beach stuff, fishing equipment, picnic basket, stroller for the kid, etc. and, once you get there, it's not like there's lots of transportation in Galveston. Why would I take a train to Galveston, which takes a few hours, when I can drive there in an hour, go all over the town, doen to San Luis Pass, visit the restaurants I want, then get home on my schedule?

I'd be very curious to see proposed ridership numbers for a Houston-Galveston train. The population of Galveston is less than 50,000 people. I don't know what the statistics are on how many of them are actually commuters to Houston, but I'm guessing that it's a reasonably small number.

There are a lot of people that commute into Galveston, mostly to UTMB.

Highlighted without comment.

I went to a flight museum also. Are airplanes archaic?

100 years ago, most folks didn't have cars. As they started buying cars, they quit taking the train. Taking the train to Galveston seems like a huge pain, especially if you have a cooler, beach stuff, fishing equipment, picnic basket, stroller for the kid, etc. and, once you get there, it's not like there's lots of transportation in Galveston. Why would I take a train to Galveston, which takes a few hours, when I can drive there in an hour, go all over the town, doen to San Luis Pass, visit the restaurants I want, then get home on my schedule?

There are billions around the globe that take trains daily, it's not extinxt.

• Like 1

Then a train wouldn't suit for you.  Would you carry the same items if there was a flight from Katy to Galveston?

Just as some people can deal with a small car, and others that NEED a suburban, some methods of transport aren't for them.

I do have to agree that Galveston needs to get their trolley's back up and running and maybe expand it a tad.  It would be ideal for people that want to board the cruise lines, go for a day trip, stay for the weekend, or like me, wanting to take the family to The Pleasure Pier without having to deal with the traffic going too and from the Island.

Then a train wouldn't suit for you. Would you carry the same items if there was a flight from Katy to Galveston?

Just as some people can deal with a small car, and others that NEED a suburban, some methods of transport aren't for them.

I do have to agree that Galveston needs to get their trolley's back up and running and maybe expand it a tad. It would be ideal for people that want to board the cruise lines, go for a day trip, stay for the weekend, or like me, wanting to take the family to The Pleasure Pier without having to deal with the traffic going too and from the Island.

I agree. Trolleys are great for a tourist situation like Galveston. It adds character and let's people experience something that they don't get to do everyday.

I really hope that Galveston can get going again. They seemed like they really had a lot of momentum when Ike hit and they've just got back to that place.

I agree. Trolleys are great for a tourist situation like Galveston. It adds character and let's people experience something that they don't get to do everyday.

I really hope that Galveston can get going again. They seemed like they really had a lot of momentum when Ike hit and they've just got back to that place.

Do you agree with streetcars for San Antonio downtown as well?

I'd take the train and carry whatever i had to if it could get me to east beach, AND i could take my dog. but the latter would never happen, so I'll be driving.

the main reason I would love to take a train if I could would be to drink (more) while I'm on the beach.

• 5 months later...

A day train from near Downtown (by a light rail stop) to Galveston on weekends and daily during the summer could be a hit (depending on where it drops you in Galveston).  Make it a party.  Have a stop near NASA.  I was disappointed the Minute Maid Park plan didn't incorporate the line coming right into downtown.  Surely the right of way still exists east of 59 somewhere on the East Side?

Connecting NASA/League City/Galveston with Downtown Houston and the LRT system with a leisure train might be a good way to baby-step to a SE commuter rail line.

• Like 2

Then a train wouldn't suit for you. Would you carry the same items if there was a flight from Katy to Galveston?

I do have to agree that Galveston needs to get their trolley's back up and running and maybe expand it a tad. It would be ideal for people that want to board the cruise lines, go for a day trip, stay for the weekend, or like me, wanting to take the family to The Pleasure Pier without having to deal with the traffic going too and from the Island.

Bingo.

The traffic during peak season, in and out of G-town has gotten progressively worse over the past couple of years since the pleasure pier opened. The seawall is now a full blown tourist attraction, its not like the Galveston of the old days we all remember when we would take a peaceful 45 minute drive down south, park on the seawall for FREE and spend the day on the sleepy island.

Now its about an hour and a half to two hours to get there, depending on how bad the bottleneck at Sagemont is and you now have to PAY to park on the Seawall, IF theres even any parking left since the seawall during the summer looks like the Katy freeway during rush hour these days.

If there was a train to the Island, Id ride it.

• Like 2

A day train from near Downtown (by a light rail stop) to Galveston on weekends and daily during the summer could be a hit (depending on where it drops you in Galveston).  Make it a party.  Have a stop near NASA. 

Connecting NASA/League City/Galveston with Downtown Houston and the LRT system with a leisure train might WOULD be a good way to baby-step to a SE commuter rail line.

all of that sounds great, but THIS.. this is what intrigues me about this whole idea. weve got to start implementing commuter rail in Houston.. why not start with the old/existing Hou-Galv line (though maybe working on straightening out some of the tracks through the east side of town)? if/when they hook up a rail line to the airport(s), we could have a decent little tourist friendly set up with rail straight from the airports to downtown (which is finally becoming a destination in itself), and out to galveston where many of the tourists flock. we have to remember that our suburban lifestyle is unique to Texas/the south, and many of the northerners that come to visit, or people from other countries, would use rail because thats what they are used to/prefer. just because some people on here think rail is a crazy idea doesnt mean the rest of the world agrees with you.

• Like 2

all of that sounds great, but THIS.. this is what intrigues me about this whole idea. weve got to start implementing commuter rail in Houston.. why not start with the old/existing Hou-Galv line (though maybe working on straightening out some of the tracks through the east side of town)? if/when they hook up a rail line to the airport(s), we could have a decent little tourist friendly set up with rail straight from the airports to downtown (which is finally becoming a destination in itself), and out to galveston where many of the tourists flock. we have to remember that our suburban lifestyle is unique to Texas/the south, and many of the northerners that come to visit, or people from other countries, would use rail because thats what they are used to/prefer. just because some people on here think rail is a crazy idea doesnt mean the rest of the world agrees with you.

Do you mean something like the Hill Country Flyer in Austin?

http://www.austinsteamtrain.org/

They run excursion trains and, I think, are a private organization.  If that's the case and a company could get that going privately then more power to them.  The suburban lifestyle, however, isn't limited to Texas or even the south.  Suburbs extend far into the countryside in LA, San Francisco, NYC and in the large cities of Europe and elsewhere as well.  Having fairly extensive rail in thoses places hasn't really solved the congestion or sprawl problems.

i am a native houstonian who would love to see light rail and train service in houston.  it still depresses me that the katy and westpark rail lines were removed as they would have been great for light rail.  as to why i am a fan of rail, i became a fan while staying a summer in spain.  during that summer, we would take the subway everyday, then on weekends we would take a train to visit other cities.  since then i plan my vacations with cities that have subways (US and Europe).  and in europe it is nice that i can fly to one city and make my way by train to other cities.  i think of all the places i want to visit in the US, but don't want to deal with driving in strange cities.  and would love to be able to take a train to dallas/fw, austin or san antonio for a quick weekend trip and not have to deal with traffic getting there or driving there.

• Like 1

i am a native houstonian who would love to see light rail and train service in houston.  it still depresses me that the katy and westpark rail lines were removed as they would have been great for light rail.  as to why i am a fan of rail, i became a fan while staying a summer in spain.  during that summer, we would take the subway everyday, then on weekends we would take a train to visit other cities.  since then i plan my vacations with cities that have subways (US and Europe).  and in europe it is nice that i can fly to one city and make my way by train to other cities.  i think of all the places i want to visit in the US, but don't want to deal with driving in strange cities.  and would love to be able to take a train to dallas/fw, austin or san antonio for a quick weekend trip and not have to deal with traffic getting there or driving there.

And if you're a tourist, rail is great.  You don't know the city streets and local traffic regulations, you have the flexibilty to get accomodations near a station and plan your visit to only include those things that are easily accessible by rail, and you don't have to pay years and years of taxes to support the system.  You just buy your ticket and enjoy your vacation.  Commuting day after day from where you can afford to live long-term to where you have to go for work, errands and play is a whole different ball game.

Unless you happen to live in Disney World, building your infrastructure for the benefit of visitors doesn't make sense.

And if you're a tourist, rail is great.  You don't know the city streets and local traffic regulations, you have the flexibilty to get accomodations near a station and plan your visit to only include those things that are easily accessible by rail, and you don't have to pay years and years of taxes to support the system.  You just buy your ticket and enjoy your vacation.  Commuting day after day from where you can afford to live long-term to where you have to go for work, errands and play is a whole different ball game.

Unless you happen to live in Disney World, building your infrastructure for the benefit of visitors doesn't make sense.

it could/would obviously be used by anyone who lives along one of the light rail lines in the city that wants to go to Galveston without sitting in traffic or like one mentioned, while able to consume alcohol. the tourist friendly aspect is just a side effect/boost to help the local tourism industry which Houston severely lacks. surely it cant take that much to get Galvestons streetcar system up and running again..

as for other commuter rail lines, obviously those wouldnt see much tourist traffic, (except maybe one that goes by Uptown) and would mostly be used for commuting from the suburbs to downtown, but this line would be a great start since the infrastructure is already in place. plus the traffic along 45 S is getting worse and worse.. this city needs to start looking into commuter rail more seriously other than these "proposals" that never seem to go through.

it could/would obviously be used by anyone who lives along one of the light rail lines in the city that wants to go to Galveston without sitting in traffic or like one mentioned, while able to consume alcohol. the tourist friendly aspect is just a side effect/boost to help the local tourism industry which Houston severely lacks. surely it cant take that much to get Galvestons streetcar system up and running again..

It won't be part of METRO as the consumption of alcohol is prohibitied on trains, buses and facilities.  Probably the same with any government-run rail line.  That would leave you with either a private operator or the bear beard.

beard1.jpg

• Like 2

Really? San Antonio is building a streetcar system for the benefit of tourists. I just went to Charleston which has a free trolley system all around dowtown for tourists. But you're right in a sense, Houston doesn't have tourists, there's nothing to see here.

That being said, commuting day after day on a train sounds more reasonable than driving every day.

• Like 1

Really? San Antonio is building a streetcar system for the benefit of tourists. I just went to Charleston which has a free trolley system all around dowtown for tourists.

Well, Galveston's tourist economy has supposedly recovered to an extent, and their trolleys STILL haven't run in the last half-decade.

But you're right in a sense, Houston doesn't have tourists, there's nothing to see here.

I'm sure there's nothing to see in that 2 mile radius bubble you almost never leave.

Edited by IronTiger

The plan is to have the streetcars running again in Galveston at some point.  The hurricane damaged not only the system (the rails need cleaning/repair to rid them of the debris that has collected over the years), but also destroyed the trolley barn.  Island Transit rolled out a commuter bus system to connect to the thousands of us that do not live on the isle, and drive in from League City, Webster, Dickinson and the greater Bay Area (as they are calling it now).

I also imagine that like a lot of the issues still facing Galveston post-Ike that there are still issues regarding the money from insurers (and their ilk).

when i was talking with whoever manages the METRO facebook, i asked about the possibility of this and commuter rail in Houston..

"When will we see commuter rail in Houston? Have y'all considered re opening the hou-galv line as an alternate to 45? It could be a start since the light rail system will be open soon on the southeast side of town, for commuter rail to connect into. Obviously places like 290, west park, and 90A need it too, but you've gotta start somewhere. I'm still bummed no commuter rail was implemented in the new 288 plans, connecting into the south Fannin station. 288 has a large enough row for rail and more traffic lanes."

and they said this..

"I will share your last comment to planning dept. However, just a quick note re: 90A: http://www.ridemetro.org/.../90A-Southwest_RailCorridor.aspx "

it looks like the 90A plan may still happen, even though its "on hold" atm while they figure things out, it has a projected construction start in 2017.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/285565-plans-move-ahead-for-houstons-new-commuter-rail-line/

Edited by cloud713

looking at the rail line on a map of Houston, there really arent nearly as many curves as someone made it seem when they spoke of the train having to travel slow through the East End. i see one turn on the whole line in between Eado/The East End and Galveston.. just east of Gus Wortham. the train could start at the end of the East End light rail line at the Magnolia Park Transit Center, to just have one turn in the line, which is very close to the station so it wouldnt effect acceleration/deceleration very much. or for a quicker approach, the train could come into the East End, through the train yard thing, and branch off to the left along the new path for the Southeast line, and run into the Bastrop station by BBVA Stadium. it would be tricky timing the commuter trains with the light rail trains though on that stretch of Texas Ave where the trains would merge onto the same tracks running into the station, unless they did something to fit separate tracks for the commuter rail, like elevate that short stretch and have an elevated commuter rail station above the Bastrop lightrail stop? it would probably save a good 10-15 minutes i would imagine compared to riding light rail all the way out to the end of the East End line and then transfering, but im not sure it would be worth the headaches of bringing commuter rail all the way into the city, when they could build a commuter rail station next to the Magnolia Transit Center a lot easier.

• The title was changed to Galveston Railroad Museum: Train To Galveston
  • 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Galveston Railroad Museum At 123 Rosenberg Ave.