trymahjong

1300 Capitol Street---New HSPVA campus

3 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Brick is good.

better than synthetic stucco.

but I am sick of beige.

would a reddish or brown brick been so shocking to the senses of the 2010’s Houstonian that it would have caused mass revolt?  Are we all just beige now?

Beige also much more difficult to keep clean in this climate.  Eighteen 22 or whatever it's called already has turned green in parts.

They've got to use all that beige brick somewhere - very few people use it on houses.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mollusk said:

They've got to use all that beige brick somewhere - very few people use it on houses.

I hear they use it quite a bit on Bejor.

2.jpg

Edited by Timoric
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm just saying that the dark brown brick going on now is a nice contrast  to the beige!

I hate the beige too.

Hell, I wish the building was designed by Zaha Hadid, and was all glass and curvy, but its not!

I am assuming that with all the windows in and that blue material on the sides that this building is “dried in” so that all the work inside is proceeding.  Is that a correct assumption?

• Like 1

Forgot about the Kinder naming rights drama.  Drove by the campus today and saw the Kinder HSPVA signage.

Any idea if this will open for the fall semester?  I think that it was scheduled to open in January.  Will it open early?  Or do we think that there is still much to do that would disrupt classes?

5 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Any idea if this will open for the fall semester?  I think that it was scheduled to open in January.  Will it open early?  Or do we think that there is still much to do that would disrupt classes?

Never mind...... their website clearly says “January”........   

13 hours ago, hindesky said:

The big letters on Rusk are going up and the letters above the auditorium are up.

So this is really moving forward fast? That's great to know, right?

2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Never mind...... their website clearly says “January”........   

Oh, so it will take another six months for this project to complete? Thanks for this.

I believe Utterly Urban is correct. If the building is not ready for classes to begin for the fall term it is probably less disruptive to wait until after the holiday break in December. Even if the structure is complete I'm sure a building with this program has much equipment that needs to be installed and commissioned (tested to make sure it works as it should).

So are they moving classes to the new building in January? Or is that when construction will be complete and they'll start the next school year there after the school is setup?

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

So are they moving classes to the new building in January? Or is that when construction will be complete and they'll start the next school year there after the school is setup?

As has been the case for several years, that plan to open the new high school facility (meaning move the high school in and have classes) in January 2019.

I talked with a guy involved in the interior wood work and said it would be open for the January classes. Their wood work has only 3 weeks till they would be done.

Anyone have some pictures of the old school building from this site?  Once the construction equipment is gone, it would make and interesting juxtaposition  

On 3/7/2016 at 1:48 PM, Sunstar said:

The original building that burned down is picture on that Wikipedia page. I found this picture of the one torn down in the 70s:

POSTSamhouston3small_zpskjrmejxs.jpg

It’s this one 

6 hours ago, Sunstar said:

It’s this one 

Cool!  Any idea what street that is?

calling all you drone photogs........ get ready!  By Thanksgiving maybe all that construction flotsam will be picked up and on a Sunny Sunday the shot will be there!

Fence was down on 3 out 4 sides this morning. Will try to grab a pic on the way home. Thought it looked nice and we are just continuing to build that downtown fabric.  

Thanks for posting the pictures bobruss and UtterlyUrban. About the new building all I can say is "WOW!" I hope the students, faculty, and staff enjoy it for many years to come.

Is  everything still  on track for the school to open for classes at the start of the new semester (Jan 7?)?.  It will be absolutely great to have a new bunch of young creatives downtown.  They will add vibrancy just by being here.  And, I am hoping that some of them do some busking.... it will be one more cog in making downtown feel like a neighborhood, 50 years after it stopped feeling that way.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

Is  everything still  on track for the school to open for classes at the start of the new semester (Jan 7?)?.  It will be absolutely great to have a new bunch of young creatives downtown.  They will add vibrancy just by being here.  And, I am hoping that some of them do some busking.... it will be one more cog in making downtown feel like a neighborhood, 50 years after it stopped feeling that way.

Very true. I'm excited to see what happens as well. On the flip side though, it will be interesting how my part of Montrose will do once the school leaves. What on earth will replace it? It will be a pretty substantial void to fill in the area. I'm glad its moving as its not only necessary, but i feel like it's where the school should be to grow. However, what happens now for that lot in Montrose? Does HISD keep the land and place a new magnet school? Does it go to another entity to create a new art school of some kind? I think it would be cool if the old school becomes so sort of maker space / workshop for the neighborhood to keep it a creative center, or something for industrial arts.

I drove by the other day and saw many people inside walking and looking around so hoping it is on track. It looks good.

Still set to open by then

https://thebuzzmagazines.com/articles/2018/12/first-look-new-hspva-campus

On 12/13/2018 at 9:49 AM, Luminare said:

Very true. I'm excited to see what happens as well. On the flip side though, it will be interesting how my part of Montrose will do once the school leaves. What on earth will replace it? It will be a pretty substantial void to fill in the area. I'm glad its moving as its not only necessary, but i feel like it's where the school should be to grow. However, what happens now for that lot in Montrose? Does HISD keep the land and place a new magnet school? Does it go to another entity to create a new art school of some kind? I think it would be cool if the old school becomes so sort of maker space / workshop for the neighborhood to keep it a creative center, or something for industrial arts.

I can't see HISD holding on to the land. It's become too valuable. I think they will sell it, just like they did when they sold the land and facilities of the old High School for Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice to St. Thomas High School for $60MM. Of course, that situation was a little different because acquiring that land was critical if STHS wanted to further expand its footprint, so their bid was considerably higher than any of those submitted by the competing bidders. But the land HSPVA sits on should unquestionably fetch a premium, as properties of comparable size just don't become available very often in the heart of Montrose. 

Edited by mkultra25

Looks very clean. I like the cutouts and sculptural shapes. The landscaping looks good, and a nice choice of surface colors and  materials.   

Cant wait for an open house. Definitely have to go see a concert or play.

• Like 1

They are fencing off the drive thru area as a construction manager once told me. I've seen homeless people camping out there several times.

4EyeIdw.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

They are fencing off the drive thru area as a construction manager once told me. I've seen homeless people camping out there several times.

4EyeIdw.jpg

Very likely “homeless people” were not camping there.  The “addicts and the mentally ill” were.

Anyhow, school starts tomorrow. I think.  Fantastic news for downtown!

• Like 2

I know it's a public high schooling they don't have a lot of money but I don't know why they couldn't do something better than this ugly chain link fencing. Why not make it like the fence next to the HSPVA letters.

td5blsT.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I know it's a public high schooling they don't have a lot of money but I don't know why they couldn't do something better than this ugly chain link fencing. Why not make it like the fence next to the HSPVA letters.

td5blsT.jpg

My guess is that it's not a budget issue - the rest of the school is very well done. I think the fence was not part of the original plans and installed after completion to prevent homeless from camping there (which they were doing prior to the fence being installed).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, downtownian said:

My guess is that it's not a budget issue - the rest of the school is very well done. I think the fence was not part of the original plans and installed after completion to prevent homeless from camping there (which they were doing prior to the fence being installed).

I talked to a guy from McCarthy half way into the build who said they were going to have to build a fence to keep the campers out, I don't think it was a last minute decision. But yeah it wasn't part of the original plan. When he said it I assumed it would surround the whole building.

• Like 3