Houston A Finalist For Super Bowl LI (2017)

JLWM8609

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the reason we didn't get one sooner is that the small market owners were mad at McNair over his dealings to get more control over revenue that big market teams bring in. Houston is a big market team. So, the small market guys just blocked Houston from another Super Bowl. If they are over that spat, or if they now feel like he's been punished enough, Houston will get it. Miami will simply get the next one. They've had 10 already. Pushing off one year won't hurt them.

• 2 months later...

Funny, when you posted this, I didn't believe you, but in checking the stats, you are correct. Here is the Texans' press release...

http://www.houstonte...12-174a2dd8c526

Construction on the video boards is projected to begin after the current season and be completed by Aug. 1, 2013. Manufactured by Mitsubishi Electric’s Diamond Vision Systems Division, they will have an image area of 52.49 by 277.17 feet, totaling 14,549 square feet of display surface and weighing in at more than 100 tons each.

Cowboys Stadium's boards are 72x160, for 11,520 square feet per board. Interestingly, there appear to be two boards that are larger, one at a Dubai racetrack, and one at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Actually, the one in Dubai is wider, but smaller overall. It is 35x352 feet. Charlotte's is 80x200 feet, so it is less wide, but larger overall.

http://stadiumblog.d...dy-noticed.html

According to this list, it will be the 2nd largest in the world...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_video_screens

^

They won't sacrifice ad space. The ads will be shown on the scoreboard most of the time. Likely only for major replays will the entire video board be used to show the highlight. The rest of the time I'm assuming it will be ads ringing the scoreboard with a smaller "tv area" in the middle. It's how the one at Longhorns stadium works

Looks like Houston is serious about this Super Bowl bid. The approval today will give Reliant Stadium the largest video boards on the planet, surpassing the one's in Arlington. The Toyota Center and Reliant Stadium with the largest video boards? AMAZING!!!!

Great. Spend millions on a scoreboard for a Super Bowl we won't get.

I bet you can't wait for the world to end at midnight. At least you'll be out of your misery. Oh sorry, I didn't mean to try to make you consider any positives about the end of the world. I know that is a big NO-NO around here. So have it your way and bask in the misery of your upcoming little debutant party in hell.

I have to say I'm a little surprised. LA is about to build a stadium, so it's curious they haven't been rewarded with a Super Bowl yet.

The stadium has to be finished first with a team playing in it before they get a Super Bowl. LA has stumbled trying to do this for so long.... that's why we have the Texans.

Looks like Houston is serious about this Super Bowl bid. The approval today will give Reliant Stadium the largest video boards on the planet, surpassing the one's in Arlington. The Toyota Center and Reliant Stadium with the largest video boards? AMAZING!!!!

and the Astros have the 2nd largest in MLB, soon to be 3rd once safeco finishes theirs

I bet you can't wait for the world to end at midnight. At least you'll be out of your misery. Oh sorry, I didn't mean to try to make you consider any positives about the end of the world. I know that is a big NO-NO around here. So have it your way and bask in the misery of your upcoming little debutant party in hell.

Forget to take your meds?

Since our last Superbowl, downtown has changed dramatically. By 2017, new hotel, redeveloped HP, Buffalo Bayou project, and so on.... we'll be ready. Does anyone remember what they did to main st? Hope we get it again. This city deserves it and has proven that it can host big events successfully.

Testing. Testing. Does the ignore button really work? This is only a test.

and this...

Houston only lost out on the last superbowl we were in the running for because the rest of the League was trying to send a message to the owners of teams that made more money and didn't want to share it with the others. Hasn't that issue been resolved?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/article/City-improvements-vital-part-of-Houston-s-Super-4404820.php

Copy paste this into google to get free access. It's a cool article describing the process of bidding for a Super Bowl. I didn't have any idea that Miami was trying to spend $400 million just to get the Super Bowl but it sounds like they're having trouble finding the funds. I definitely think what's going on around discovery green will help us though, and if they waited a year to choose the host who knows what else will be planned for there and other areas around downtown.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say a 2/3 or 66% chance is a shoe in, but it is decent odds.

I never took a statistics class, but my understanding is that it's a 50% chance, because rather than going against 2 other towns, we're going to go against one other town that isn't picked for the superbowl bid from the previous year.

based on the article, it looks like we've got a strong chance of winning, since Fla isn't spending money to make the stadium better, it will likely be SF beating Fla, then us beating Fla.

What are the chances they will let either fla or sf lose two years in a row? I could maybe see sf losing it because of incompetence but you'd think they'd learn from their first failure and win out against us.

Archived