Stuart's Club Grill Drive-In Restaurant At 8001 South Main St.

Subdude

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Stuart's was across the street from Prince's drive-in (well I don't know if it was a named street as much as a pass through between OST and Main St.). My family preferred Stuart's over Prince's and we ate there many a time. It was always an exciting day when my mom told us we were going to Stuart's. Also I remember going to Price's on Bellaire St. at Stella Link and 19¢ hamburgers with secret sauce.

2HoustonTXStuartsDrivein1953KR_zps5324b877.jpg

Photo by Ken Rudine

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
9 hours ago, blue92 said:

On the intersection of S. Main and O.S.T. there was a Sinclair service station that later became the 1st Antone's, but behind that service station was a Prince's and a Stuart's was across the driveway. But yes that was Stuart's that had those AC tubes. But the 1st to use those tubes was a drive in movie theater.  

All I've ever read or heard about Antone's is that the original store was on Taft, where Pass and Provisions is now, opened in 1962.  That's the only store I knew about and went to when I got here in 1970.

Here's an article about the closing of that store in 2004 and a history of the Lebanese/Syrian iconic 'Houston PoBoy;, both articles cite the Taft store as the original.

I know there was a Droubi's around Main and OST at one time, but that was not the original Droubi's - that one is still open on Hillcroft.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Stuart's Club Grill Drive-In Restaurant At 8001 South Main St.
  • 4 months later...
On 9/28/2012 at 10:37 AM, 57Tbird said:

post-873-0-13698600-1348846549_thumb.jpg

Looks like the restaurant design was different than the rendering. 

Stuart's Drive Inn Restaurant
"Sonny" Stuart, Owner and Manager

Largest Drive-Inn Restaurant In The Southwest
We Never Close
We Cater To Private Parties

Featuring
Sea Foods, Fried Chicken, K.C. Steaks and Breakfast

8001 So. Main St. - MA 4805 - Houston 25, Texas

3dcVWZa.jpg

a7Mxe1H.jpg

• Like 2