Warehouses Razed At 2318 Sul Ross St.

skooljunkie

In Upper Kirby yesterday, I noticed the old strip center/warehouse between W. Alabama and Sul Ross that said "Balloon & Novelty Wholesalers" on the front (between Ruggles Green and Mission Burrito) is being torn down this week. A portion of this lot has been fenced off for years. I haven't heard any rumors about this property.

In Upper Kirby yesterday, I noticed the old strip center/warehouse between W. Alabama and Sul Ross that said "Balloon & Novelty Wholesalers" on the front (between Ruggles Green and Mission Burrito) is being torn down this week. A portion of this lot has been fenced off for years. I haven't heard any rumors about this property.

I remember something a long time ago about apartments. That's about all I can recall.

That was going to be a Gables development. Hadn't heard about it in years, though

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/heights-news/article/More-units-coming-to-the-Gables-Upper-Kirby-1571594.php

Just drove by there the other day and wondered what the story was. I remember the Distinctive Details owner holding out, at least for a while

They killed off a really nice Lil Woodrow's with an awesome deck and live oak tree to clear that lot YEARS ago. Was Thundercloud subs there too, or was that at the Mission Burritos sight?

Thundercloud was there. I'm trying to remember what the bar was before it was Little Woodrows. It was there for quite awhile before Woodrow's moved in. As I recall, the building housed both the bar (on the left) and Thundercloud (on the right). Woodrow's blew out the wall and expanded into the old Thundercloud space.

I drove by this morning and there were no less than 5 tractor trailer rigs with the big dump bodies waiting in the left turn lane. Since the building is competely demolished I am thinking those trucks are there to haul away excavation spoils. If that much dirt is being moved could it be for underground parking? Was there ever anything on the site which would require soil remediation?

Oh I wish KinkaidAlum hadn't reminded me about Thundercloud. I always include in my trips to Austin a stop at Thundercloud or Conan's - and on very special occasions Mrs. Johnson's Do-Nuts on Airport Blvd.

• The title was changed to Warehouses Razed - 2318 Sul Ross St.
  • The title was changed to Warehouses Razed At 2318 Sul Ross St.

Archived