Yale Street Market: Retail Center At 195 Yale St.

samagon

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using Facebook to guage public interest is like using Wikipedia for research.

I know, right?   

Remember back on the Stop Walmart thread when s3mh was touting the number of likes on the facebook page as proof that everyone was against Walmart? That was too funny, and is why I quoted it here.    :)

I know, right?   

Remember back on the Stop Walmart thread when s3mh was touting the number of likes on the facebook page as proof that everyone was against Walmart? That was too funny, and is why I quoted it here.    :)

The stop heights facebook page has been migrated to a new RUDH facebook page.  www.facebook.com/stopheightswalmart does not exist anymore.  Also, the store has been built.  So, naturally, people would de-friend it as it is no longer active and the campaign to stop the store is over.  But, you only brought that up to show that I had previously claimed facebook likes as evidence of support/opposition to the Walmart was erroneous, right?  (wrong)

I suppose you are right. The more important question is why RUDH's facebook page only has 219 likes. Without Walmart as a rallying cry, it seems that no one gives a crap about RUDH at all.

So, facebook likes do matter unless facebook likes don't support your arguement.  Ok.

The RUDH facebook page is new and has not been up for that long.  There isn't a big hot button issue in the news recently.  What is actually interesting is that a group called the "west heights coalition" has formed to oppose the Trammell Crowe apartments and as far as I can tell RUDH has expressed reservations, but not outright opposition.  It looks like neighborhood dissatisfaction with new development is real and not confined to the group that fought Walmart.

Why is that "actually interesting"? 

How do you know there isn't a connection between these people and the group that fought Walmart?

If this development is soo bad (neighborhood dissatisfaction you claim.. when you actually mean a few neighbors dissastisfaction) why hasn't RUDH got behind it?  One could infer that RUDH really only cared about stoping a Walmart, and not about "responsible urban development".

RUDH has all sorts of propaganda about how mid rise density cities are "the effing tits." I would laugh my ass off if they tried to oppose a midrise apartment development.  Their actual stated goal is mid rise apartments, preferably with retail component.  That was their whole schtick for opposing WalMart is that it should have been midrise mixed use and urban. 

That's the reason I said posts about mid rises on RUDH's facebook's pages are hilarious because all the NIMBY types come out against any type of development, and RUDH has to go "hold on, that's what we're actually for"

RUDH has all sorts of propaganda about how mid rise density cities are "the effing tits." I would laugh my ass off if they tried to oppose a midrise apartment development. Their actual stated goal is mid rise apartments, preferably with retail component. That was their whole schtick for opposing WalMart is that it should have been midrise mixed use and urban.

Yeah, mixed use is the end-all-be-all. Throw in one or two apartment spaces ear-marked/subsidized for affordable living and they will have achieved what the brown acid, daisy-chains, and TM failed to materialize.

All you have to do is build it, because if you do....

fieldofdreamscorn.png

I may be behind the curve but I peeked over the edge of the freeway as I was crossing Yale eastbound (I always go to Studemont and U-turn so I can avoid the poorly-timed feeder lights at Yale and Heights) and I saw that the parcel where San Jacinto Stone was is completely cleared.  I guess we'll see walls going up soon.

Confirmed with developer. LA Fitness and Sprouts are for sure with another 50k sq ft still available.

LA Fitness was looking at the property that is now the apartment complex under construction by the railroad tracks and also talked early on a mixed use version of what is now Walmart.  Makes sense that they are finally going in.  However, I wonder how the market for the big box fitness centers has been affected by the popularity of small group programs like CrossFit and the zillion odd boot camp/Seal/Swat training variations.

I have only been to Sprouts a few times out of curiousity.  They are a bit of a mixed bag.  Produce can be very good compared to Whole Foods/Kroger/HEB, but varies by item.  The competition will be welcome as it seems as though Kroger and Whole Foods are just phoning it in when it comes to produce.  Kroger can be pretty awful.  Whole Foods can be very disappointing for the price premium you have to pay.  Of course this will be a kick in the pants for Walmart.  They even admitted recently that their produce was not fresh and are trying to improve delivery times.  Sprouts will siphon off business from Walmart's grocery section.

I have only been to Sprouts a few times out of curiousity. They are a bit of a mixed bag. Produce can be very good compared to Whole Foods/Kroger/HEB, but varies by item. The competition will be welcome as it seems as though Kroger and Whole Foods are just phoning it in when it comes to produce. Kroger can be pretty awful. Whole Foods can be very disappointing for the price premium you have to pay. Of course this will be a kick in the pants for Walmart. They even admitted recently that their produce was not fresh and are trying to improve delivery times. Sprouts will siphon off business from Walmart's grocery section.

The Sprouts on Westheimer is going in right across the street from a Walmart and a HEB and just down the road from a Whole Foods so we'll see if they step up their game in response.

LMAO. I find it just absolutely fascinating that we are hoping that Sprouts can give evil Wal*Mart a run for its money in the critical produce department with no mention that Sprouts would be a national (or at least regional?) chain store, going into direct competition with a local/neighborhood owned mom and pop place just 3 blocks away.

Sprouts will siphon off business from Walmart's grocery section.

Well, they won't siphon much. I imagine people only buy produce at Walmart to save a little time while purchasing processed food and plastic stuff. If you are in the market for real produce, you probably are not starting at Walmart. Still, it will be nice to have good produce at reasonable prices, wherever it comes from.

LMAO. I find it just absolutely fascinating that we are hoping that Sprouts can give evil Wal*Mart a run for its money in the critical produce department with no mention that Sprouts would be a national (or at least regional?) chain store, going into direct competition with a local/neighborhood owned mom and pop place just 3 blocks away.

You may want to actually set foot in a Sprouts and Revival Market before you say that they are going into "direct" competition with each other.  Revival Market sells high-end "heritage" meats and artisan cheeses.  The produce is all from local producers who mostly sell exclusively to local farmer's markets, restaurants and CSAs.  Sprouts is basically a version of Whole Foods priced more for the middle of the market.  Sprouts is where you go to get decent roast beef for $6 a lb.  Revival Market is where you go to get amazing roast beef for $16 a lb (worth every penny). 

And the claim was never that Walmart would put Revival Market out of business.  The claim was that Walmart would put Fiesta, Michoacana and other small independent discount grocers out of business, creating a monopoly within the trade area for the discount grocery market.  The verdict is still out on that as Walmart has only been open for just over 6 months.  And given their recent ad campaign, Walmart appears to be more concerned with Kroger than the discount grocery market.   

I have a buddy who lives literally within a stones throw of Sprouts on S Lamar in Austin (formerly Sun Harvest) and Ive been in there. Also been in revival.  Whole Foods is also a competitor for Revival. There are direct dollars spent both places among the same customer base that could choose to spend in either one.  Wal*Mart is not even in the discussion.

You may want to actually set foot in a Sprouts and Revival Market before you say that they are going into "direct" competition with each other.  Revival Market sells high-end "heritage" meats and artisan cheeses.  The produce is all from local producers who mostly sell exclusively to local farmer's markets, restaurants and CSAs.  Sprouts is basically a version of Whole Foods priced more for the middle of the market.  Sprouts is where you go to get decent roast beef for $6 a lb.  Revival Market is where you go to get amazing roast beef for $16 a lb (worth every penny). 

And the claim was never that Walmart would put Revival Market out of business.  The claim was that Walmart would put Fiesta, Michoacana and other small independent discount grocers out of business, creating a monopoly within the trade area for the discount grocery market.  The verdict is still out on that as Walmart has only been open for just over 6 months.  And given their recent ad campaign, Walmart appears to be more concerned with Kroger than the discount grocery market.   

and now Sprouts deli department will put Carter and Cooley out of business, but where's your disdain?

and for the record, I'm to lazy to go search the walmart thread, but your claim was not that the corporate giant walmart would put lesser corporate giants out of business, it was that walmart would put mom and pop stores out of business, and while fiesta is hardly a corporate giant, they are hardly a mom and pop store, and not what you were originally arguing about.

I have a buddy who lives literally within a stones throw of Sprouts on S Lamar in Austin (formerly Sun Harvest) and Ive been in there. Also been in revival.  Whole Foods is also a competitor for Revival. There are direct dollars spent both places among the same customer base that could choose to spend in either one.  Wal*Mart is not even in the discussion.

So you are admitting that there is no direct competition between Sprouts and Revival, just the same general customer base that might go to either store, but for very different needs.  I guess you are not LMOAing anymore.  Sprouts does not carry anything that you would find at Revival.  No heritage meats and in-house salumi from the same, no artisan cheeses, no small batch local ice cream, no local small farm produce, no in-house gourmet condiments, no Fluff bakery, no rotating Saturday breakfast menu, no gourmet prepared foods or catering, and so on.  Thus, they are not in direct competition, unless you consider selling $30 a lb salumi the same product as $5.99 a lb salami.  If that is your standard, then Walmart and Sprouts are very much direct comptetitors.

I've often wondered that people simply get off to paying more for a commodity if a halfway decent argument is given to justify the markup.I don't think the mom and pops feel a shred of guilt for their high markup, yet the consumer is told to feel guilty for wanting to spend less at the "big box".

BTW those $4+ pretzel rolls at Revival from Slow-dough can be had for $2 at Dairy Maids, though I find myself tortured with guilt from wanting to spend less there.

There is perceived status in the ability to pay more for something than others can afford. Women will brag on how much they paid for a purse. Lexus automobiles are not that popular outside the US, but here buyers enjoy paying more for them, because others will know the owner has disposable income. I have even had clients tell me that they wondered how good I was because my fees "weren't high enough". 

And, of course, imagine my surprise at finding the exact brand of berries that I saw at Whole Foods sitting in the produce section of Kroger...for 30% less.

And, of course, imagine my surprise at finding the exact brand of berries that I saw at Whole Foods sitting in the produce section of Kroger...for 30% less.

That's why Whole Foods' nickname is "Whole Paycheck". ;)

What cracks me up is that "Big Grocery" is always quick to blame "Big Oil" for rising grocery prices. However, you never see the inverse when the price per barrel decreases. Damn you Cap'n Crunch.

At a certain point it makes economical sense to grow your own crunch berries in the back yard.

Archived