Map - Immigration Station

NenaE

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/texas/txu-pclmaps-topo-tx-galveston-1925.jpg

...thought this was interesting. It shows the position of an abandoned lighthouse and the immigration station/ island that immigrants were held at, before given clearance into Galveston . I was not aware of Fort San Jacinto at the Eastern tip of the peninsula. My dad always took us across to Boliver, to visit those fort structures.

There was a Channel 8 special not too long ago about the Immagration Station on Pelican Island. There were two locations, the later Quaratine Station at the tip of Pelican Island was the last one standing. The buildings were built well after the 1900 storm, but the Customs Department quit using them even before WWII started. The buildings remained vacant surplus goverment property until the late 1960's, when Galveston County aquired it and added the site to it's park system. The wooden barracks and hospital building were demolished and then that hedious concrete pavilion was constructed, along with a fishing pier (much longer than it is now). The two Navy vessels came later.

Apparently there was a ferry that crossed the Galveston Channel to take workers to the Todd Shipyards, but I do not think an improved road was constructed out to the Quarantine Station until after the parks department acquired the property. The Pelican Island bridge wasn't built until the late 1950's.

It's a pretty neat location, but take plenty of mosquito spray.

Very interesting, Plumber2. I saw a program a while back about Galveston immigration. I don't recall them mentioning these facilities. But, that doesn't mean they didn't. Some of my relatives arrived from Germany, at Indianola, much earlier, of course.

Very interesting, Plumber2. I saw a program a while back about Galveston immigration. I don't recall them mentioning these facilities. But, that doesn't mean they didn't. Some of my relatives arrived from Germany, at Indianola, much earlier, of course.

Do not worry. This simply means that we are better reporters than those who "work" for channel 8.

Archived