Sign in to follow this  
sifuwong

Getting an IT Job at a Trading Firm in Downtown Houston

I went to Forever 21 and started walking around and noticed what looked like some trading firm upstairs with a bunch of people sitting in front of their monitors...is that a trading firm or something? Everyone looked young too and all professionally dressed.

I went to Forever 21 and started walking around and noticed what looked like some trading firm upstairs with a bunch of people sitting in front of their monitors...is that a trading firm or something? Everyone looked young too and all professionally dressed.

Energy company NRG is the parent of Reliant. When Pavilions couldn't fill up with retail they leased a bunch of office space to NRG. Yes, they trade energy there. I interviewed with them a while back.

Edited by kylejack

Energy company NRG is the parent of Reliant. When Pavilions couldn't fill up with retail they leased a bunch of office space to NRG. Yes, they trade energy there. I interviewed with them a while back.

Did you interview for a financial analyst or trader type of position? Do you know if they hire IT people?

They hire IT people, but from what I was told, it is a serious pressure cooker of a job.

They almost hired me, but I bailed after watching how they operated.

They couldn't pay me enough.

Edited by ricco67
  • Like 1

Pretty sure that any it position is a pressure cooker, blackberry server crashes cause its running on 10 year old hardware? Better stay up all night to fix, and when the people who decide how to spend money say that they are going to buy you a new one and that repairing the old from left over parts is just temporary, you smile like you know they are going to come through, but you know that as soon as the old one is cobbled back together, you're never going to hear about the replacement, and you're back to making the old one hobble along.

But hey, it's not that bad really.

Did you interview for a financial analyst or trader type of position? Do you know if they hire IT people?

The position I interviewed for was closer to Helpdesk type, but I walked through the trading floor while being taken to the interview.

They hire IT people, but from what I was told, it is a serious pressure cooker of a job.

They almost hired me, but I bailed after watching how they operated.

They couldn't pay me enough.

I'm in IT (for now) and I applied there the other day. I might get interevied. How do they operate? It looks pretty laid back to me.... but then again I was stainding outside looking in.

Pretty sure that any it position is a pressure cooker, blackberry server crashes cause its running on 10 year old hardware? Better stay up all night to fix, and when the people who decide how to spend money say that they are going to buy you a new one and that repairing the old from left over parts is just temporary, you smile like you know they are going to come through, but you know that as soon as the old one is cobbled back together, you're never going to hear about the replacement, and you're back to making the old one hobble along.

But hey, it's not that bad really.

I'm in IT (for now) and I applied there the other day. I might get interevied. How do they operate? It looks pretty laid back to me.... but then again I was stainding outside looking in.

Agreed, IT is a pressure cooker of a job, but when a trader's computer goes down, it has to be done and fixed right then. Literally money is flying before their eyes if a computer has a SNAFU and all eyes are on you.

No thanks.

Agreed, IT is a pressure cooker of a job, but when a trader's computer goes down, it has to be done and fixed right then. Literally money is flying before their eyes if a computer has a SNAFU and all eyes are on you.

No thanks.

I kinda like it. I work for a power company and get 30 minutes of overtime if I get a call while I'm on-call, and it's usually a 5 minute fix.

Having worked on several trade floors in an IT support role I'll agree that it can be a stressful job. However, trading companies pay very well, and in the specific role I was in paid double that of a non-energy trading firm. Your best bet is to find a non-support business analytic or system analyst role so you can avoid the psychotic pace of the trade floor, but enjoy the perks of working for a trading firm.

• Like 1