EMES Place- Inner Loop Condos Development On Frasier St.

Heightsite

Inner Loop Condos are back preparing to build at the end of Fraiser Street across the hike and bike trail. The project will be called EMES Place. They have increased the number of units from 64 to 84. This means the building will be approximately 9 stories tall.

They want to extend Frasier Street (one-block long, 18' wide) across the hike & bike trail, making it a driveway into their property. With 84 units this could cause 100 or more cars a day through our Freeland Historic District. We are three streets, each one block long forming a horseshoe. The only access in and out are Frasier and Granberry Streets. It has become very dangerous for us to exit onto White Oak Street due to the increased traffic caused by the "entertainment" center, and the inability to see on-coming traffic due to on-street parking.

They will also have to move the hike and bike trail and curve it to make it cross Fraiser at a 90 degree angle.

They will build piers in the overflow gully off of White Oak Bayou which protects the neighborhood from flooding. Any obstruction in this gully gives the potential for flooding.

This property is the last remaining undeveloped land from the original Allen Brothers land grant. 56 species of birds have been documented there.

Inner Loop will receive their Final Plat from the Planning Commission on Sept. 13. We are going to speak against it but it is a Consent item so it will pass. But, they still do not have permission to extend Frasier Street or move the hike and bike trail.

We ask anyone who opposes mid-rise (hi-rise to me) buildings in this spot; or opposes using an intact historic district as their driveway; anyone who opposes buildings causing possible flooding issues; anyone who opposes changing the hike and bike straightaway between Oxford Street and the bridge over White Oak Bayou into a large S curve; or is against building in this bird sanctuary, please contact the people below and express your concerns. This isn't just a Freeland issue, this will impact the entire area.

Freeland Historic District appreciates your help.

Annise Parker mayor@houstontx.gov

Peter Costello atlarge1@houstontx.gov

Andrew C. Burks, Jr. atlarge2@houstontx.gov

Melissa Noriega atlarge3@houstontx.gov

C.O. "Brad" Bradford atlarge4@houstontx.gov

Jack Christie atlarge5@houstontx.gov

Ellen Cohen districtc@houstontx.gov

pd.planning@houstontx.gov

Marlene.Gafrick@houstontx.gov

muxian.fang@houstontx.gov

janice.evans@houstontx.gov

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We ask anyone who opposes mid-rise (hi-rise to me) buildings in this spot; or opposes using an intact historic district as their driveway; anyone who opposes buildings causing possible flooding issues; anyone who opposes changing the hike and bike straightaway between Oxford Street and the bridge over White Oak Bayou into a large S curve; or is against building in this bird sanctuary, please contact the people below and express your concerns. This isn't just a Freeland issue, this will impact the entire area.

Well, since you claim that this is not just a Freeland issue, but affects me, I suppose I will put in my two cents. I'll begin by saying that I did not oppose any of the new restaurants that surround my home, any one of which produces more traffic daily than this entire complex will, so and argument that a development should be denied because it may add one car every 15 minutes to your street is not likely to sway me. In fact, since there are two streets serving the proposed entrance, there may be one car every 30 minutes on the two streets.

Piers built near or over a steep gully will have no effect on potential flooding whatsoever. In fact, since the dozens of scrub trees in the gully will be removed, it will likely decrease flooding potential. The reality is it will have no effect.

As a frequent user of the bike trail, I cannot see what negative effect an S curve in the trail will have.

The Allen Brothers would likely be pissed that it took 176 years to finally develop that property. Arguing that land bought and sold by developers should not be developed makes no sense, and in any event, pays no tribute to the developer Allen brothers. As for the birds, this parcel abuts a bayou and parkland that stretches for miles. I don't think the birds will suffer.

I don't find 9 stories to be that tall. However, the building is located to the South and Southwest of your neighborhood, and will abut another tall apartment building. It will not block your views of downtown, and more importantly, will not shade your garden.

Honestly, the only gripe I see here is that you live on a deserted street, and want to keep it deserted. I can appreciate that sentiment. However, that cannot be extrapolated into a Heightswide problem. Frankly, the additional residents provided by these structures will help draw better restaurants and retailers to the Heights. There really is no downside for anyone outside of your two streets at all.

EDIT: If it makes you feel any better, I used to live in a situation nearly identical to this development. I lived at 5292 Memorial, a 108 unit condo complex. It was built over a steep gully, the former bank of Buffalo Bayou before they straightened it. And, it was located at the end of a dead end street. Even more interesting was that a 60 unit condo complex was next door. Yet, even with 158 condos at the end of that street, the street was always deserted. You can google map 5300 Chandler to see it...and the condos. As terrible as you think this will be, you'll never noticed the extra car every 15 minutes.

Oh great... get ready for this one.

Read it, now going to ignore it while the same 4 or 5 people have their petty argument.

Urbanmad, I would like to hear what you have to say about this development to prevent the discussion from becoming petty. If you do not have anything to contribute, then lurk if that's your thing or ignore to keep yourself from being bored, but please don't troll. Save that for your overclocking and gaming usenet groups.

The only issue I might have is how the entrance crosses the bike trail. My concern would be if delivery trucks or visitors etc block the path for any length of time, other than that I really look forward to this development, it should be a great addition to the neighborhood. Using the Freeland HIstoric District as an access point is too bad, these condo owners are going to drive passed all those poorly maintained historical crap shacks that most likely won't be rennovated in the near future on the way to their nice new homes.

I walk and bike through that little slice of the Heights and man, it is boss. But I always thought it was just a matter of time until you had new neighbors with the empty loop and the hardwood company. I hear it was really, really boss before the lumber company, but back then trains were roaring through there all the time, heck it wasn’t too long ago that trains still passed that way.

My friend who was born here in the 30’s says Granberry ran all the way to White Oak Bayou to the foot of the railroad bridge, and the kids would swim down there between two creeks that fed the bayou. One of those creeks is your eastern border and ran up toward Beverly and 8th or thereabouts before developers put in culverts, filled it in and built commercial and residential on the land east of Heights proper. The White Oak Rd bridge was built in the forties and for whatever reason they left the creek open south of the bridge, thus allowing isolation of your tract. Otherwise we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation.

In 1946 industry encroached via the wood company, but I bet everyone was happy for the jobs, except the kids who lost access to the Granberry swimming hole. But it kept them in school so they could grow up to become businessmen. See this: A raid at the White Oak Bayou swimming hole. In ’68 the wood company was bought by long-time employee Mac Clark who was a great citizen (Mon 01/08/2007 Houston Chronicle) even though he lived in Timbergrove and coached their Little League. Yes, he was a tree-dweller, and given their pacifist nature (see Walmart thread post #2225) he probably sponsored HNLL also. By running a valuable industrial business on the site for decades Mac may have prevented Section 8 “condo” development there when property values were much lower than business values.

So now we have more development proposed in the Heights, a neighborhood with a long history of industrial, commercial, multi-family and single family development, all of it contributing to the fabric we have today. Take away anyone piece and the fabric would be different, maybe “better” or not, only the omniscient know for sure.

So let us see what the developers propose. I will support your efforts to build a coalition to gain a seat at the table as long as the goal is reasonable. And if stopping all development is unreasonable and unachievable, then don’t waste your time with that goal. Instead, work to consensus thinking of the future, perhaps trading neighborhood opposition to this development for City/County protection on your eastern front. I already hear rumors of completing the creek coverage all the way to the bayou so that our Venture Commercial friends can put up a parking lot. Bye-bye morning sun.

There's a petition for folks who do not want to see this sliver of land be used for hi-rises or any development, for that matter. When Innerloop first started planning this development, it was to be around 64 units. It's up to 84 now. They purchased the land from the apartments at the end of Oxford and I10 several years ago and met quite a bit of resistence then. This part of the hike & bike trail has all the natural beauty hikers, bikers & bird watchers in the hood love. I hope it's kept that way.

The Petition

We the undersigned residents of Houston are in opposition to the development by Inner Loop Condos/View Point at the Heights called Emes Place Subdivision. The undersigned are petitioning the City of Houston to preserve the historical eco space located at the intersection of E. 5 ½ and Frasier Streets adjacent to the newly created hike and bike trail. This development will forever alter the original street symmetry of Freeland Historic District, the last 100% intact district in Houston, as well as re-route the hike and bike trail. This 84 unit condo project will have 2 levels of parking and 4-5 levels of condos. It will be built on piers that will obstruct the ravine and eliminate the valuable green space, which both serve as significant natural flood mitigation tools. The traffic congestion will continue to add to the already dangerous and hazardous intersections of Frasier/Granberry and White Oak, as well as, hinder emergency vehicle access to all residents. This property has been located between the ravine and the railroad bed in its natural state since the early 1800’s. The undersigned are petitioning the City of Houston to use all necessary means to facilitate a negotiation agreement with the developer to retain and preserve the land in its natural state and to keep the hike and bike trail intact in the current location. Letters of support have been written and submitted by The Houston Audubon Society and The Bayou Preservation Association.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/emsplace/

This does suck. Nine stories is completely out of scale. That is more than double the height of the neighboring apartment complex. When Studewood did six stories, I knew that we were on the slippery slope. We are now at 9 stories and the next one will probably be even taller until we get our own Ashby highrise right in the middle of the Heights (anyone living near the telephone museum should watch out). It will cast a shadow over some of the neighborhood, espeically from Fall to Spring when the sun is lower on the horizon to the south.

This may cause a big drainage issue. The woods act like a sponge and stores lots of water when it rains. They are replacing that sponge with a big building that will not store any water and will also divert the natural sheet flow. Anyone nearby who may be impacted may have a claim under the Texas Water Code. If they are building on more than an acre, they will have to do detention onsite.

The loss of wildlife habitat is significant. There are very few wooded spots that size inside the city. Houston is on the international flyway for migratory birds. In the spring and fall, migratory birds stop along the Gulf Coast to rest and refuel on their way to their summer/winter homes. When there is no appropriate habitat for a bird to land and eat, they will continue to fly until they are too depleted to fly any further. At that point, they may be too weak to find food and avoid predators. Every acre of habitat that is lost is significant, especially in an area where so much of the habitat has already been lost. Also, it was just a really nice spot on the trail that had some wildlife. It will stink to lose that.

Traffic will be an issue. Most of the traffic will be in the morning and evening. Add to the growing traffic from people looking for off street parking in the evening for the bars and restuarants, and you will see a decline in the quality of life in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, the traffic impact analysis process with the City is a complete joke after the City caved in to the Ashby developers. What should be a process with hard and fast standards and bright lines has basically turned into makework for traffic engineers. Anything they come up with will be approved.

This building will negatively impact the quality of life for nearby residents. If people in the Heights think that it cannot happen to them, just look and see whether there is an old garden style apartment complex or metal shop/warehouse near them. The Ashby highrise has a very small footprint for a building that is 20+ stories. As this and other projects make clear, developers are not interested in the quality of life for the neighborhood. The City is not going to do anything to stand up to developers until people really get organized and fight for their neighborhoods.

This does suck. Nine stories is completely out of scale. That is more than double the height of the neighboring apartment complex. When Studewood did six stories, I knew that we were on the slippery slope. We are now at 9 stories and the next one will probably be even taller until we get our own Ashby highrise right in the middle of the Heights (anyone living near the telephone museum should watch out). It will cast a shadow over some of the neighborhood, espeically from Fall to Spring when the sun is lower on the horizon to the south.

Its almost impossible to pick an area that would have less impact on others than this project will anywhere inside the loop. Its vacant land abutting a drainage ditch on one side, an apartment complex on one side, a lumber yard, and then a very small number of houses. Opposing this project just shows you oppose just about everything. It's not possible to be out of scale when there is no scale to compare it too...3 or 4 affected homes, a lumber yard and 4 story apartment...none have anything in common. Its a great place for such a project and it will have a stellar view of downtown that can never be blocked.

This may cause a big drainage issue. The woods act like a sponge and stores lots of water when it rains. They are replacing that sponge with a big building that will not store any water and will also divert the natural sheet flow. Anyone nearby who may be impacted may have a claim under the Texas Water Code. If they are building on more than an acre, they will have to do detention onsite.

We have building codes for these types of things. They will divert 100% of the water into the bayou and purchase off site detention credits. Its simple and its done all of the time.

The loss of wildlife habitat is significant. There are very few wooded spots that size inside the city. Houston is on the international flyway for migratory birds. In the spring and fall, migratory birds stop along the Gulf Coast to rest and refuel on their way to their summer/winter homes. When there is no appropriate habitat for a bird to land and eat, they will continue to fly until they are too depleted to fly any further. At that point, they may be too weak to find food and avoid predators. Every acre of habitat that is lost is significant, especially in an area where so much of the habitat has already been lost. Also, it was just a really nice spot on the trail that had some wildlife. It will stink to lose that.

While a few birds may land here - this is no bird haven. Any birds that land here can easily divert to the much larger Memorial park about a mile away. If it makes you feel any better though I have added an additional 14 acres to my seasonal wetland for migratory birds and purchased an additional 68 acres of wooded property that I plan to preserve as wooded. That should more than offset this miniscule loss of habitat...problem solved.

Traffic will be an issue. Most of the traffic will be in the morning and evening. Add to the growing traffic from people looking for off street parking in the evening for the bars and restuarants, and you will see a decline in the quality of life in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, the traffic impact analysis process with the City is a complete joke after the City caved in to the Ashby developers. What should be a process with hard and fast standards and bright lines has basically turned into makework for traffic engineers. Anything they come up with will be approved.

Traffic is a non-issue...there are two exits to this "loop". Besides that, residents of the area dont own the streets....the city can change traffic patters at will without ever asking your permission. 100-200 cars a day even during peak times is not going to make this neighborhood less attractive...just because it currently has almost zero traffic does not mean it needs to stay this way. Do you oppose everything?

This building will negatively impact the quality of life for nearby residents. If people in the Heights think that it cannot happen to them, just look and see whether there is an old garden style apartment complex or metal shop/warehouse near them. The Ashby highrise has a very small footprint for a building that is 20+ stories. As this and other projects make clear, developers are not interested in the quality of life for the neighborhood. The City is not going to do anything to stand up to developers until people really get organized and fight for their neighborhoods.

Its hard to fathom a more appropriate location for a project like this....This will increase property values for everyone around it. I would love to own some of those properties that are surrounding this thing. Rent them out until another developer decides to emulate this project. Then sell for a huge profit. It is a perfect corridor for multiple mid rise properties. If you could acquire the 5 or so lots in from White Oak and build a mixed use building right on White Oak it would be the best of both worlds....access from two separate streets on a busy thoroughfare...its perfect for any developer.

This property has been located between the ravine and the railroad bed in its natural state since the early 1800’s.

Well, except for that time during the 1940s...and 1950s...and 1960s...oh, and the 1970s, when it was developed and used, and accessed by a driveway from Frazier Street.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=1.6E-05&lat=29.761289593449&lon=-95.381978091554&year=1953

Yeah, other than that, the property has remained in its natural state since the early 1800s.

Oops.

Traffic will be an issue.

How do you know this? Are you just "guessing" ? I currently live in the EDGE condos, a 90+ unit development in Midtown, I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen other cars coming and going at the same time I am coming or going in the 3+ years I have lived here. People don't all live on the same schedule. Everyone in the complex won't get up and leave simultaneously at 8:00am and return at 5:00pm - it just doesn't happen

Inner Loop Condos are back preparing to build at the end of Fraiser Street across the hike and bike trail. The project will be called EMES Place. They have increased the number of units from 64 to 84. This means the building will be approximately 9 stories tall.

According to this (it is an old link), it will be 4-5 stories.

http://swamplot.com/viewpoint-at-the-heights-back-from-the-dead/2010-08-30/

Where are you getting 9 stories - is there a rendering available somewhere?

Really? There are 84 townhomes at the end of my dead end street. I dont' even notice the traffic, other than when the guy with the loud motorcycle goes by. And, all of the vehicles have to slow down to go over the speed bump in front of my house, which would tend to make them more noticeable.

Well, except for that time during the 1940s...and 1950s...and 1960s...oh, and the 1970s, when it was developed and used, and accessed by a driveway from Frazier Street.

http://www.historica...91554&year=1953

Yeah, other than that, the property has remained in its natural state since the early 1800s.

Oops.

Unfortunately, that link comes up with Buffalo Bayou across from Allen Parkway Village. That seems to be an artifact of the Historic Aerials tiling, becuase I got the same link when it was centered on Frasier Street. Your point still stands, though.

http://www.historica...91554&year=1953

Oops.

When I look at that map, I see the exact same stand of trees along the old rail easement that is now the bike path. I do not see any development at all.

This means the building will be approximately 9 stories tall.

We ask anyone who opposes mid-rise (hi-rise to me) buildings in this spot;

Sorry, but it's not a highrise. You'll have to be content with referring to it as The Mid-rise of Madness rather than the tower of terror. The good news is that the domain name "midriseofmadness.com" is still available. Better snap to it.

Urbanmad, I would like to hear what you have to say about this development to prevent the discussion from becoming petty. If you do not have anything to contribute, then lurk if that's your thing or ignore to keep yourself from being bored, but please don't troll. Save that for your overclocking and gaming usenet groups.

All the real trolls have moved on to Android vs iPhone vs Windows/Blackberry. There's a few that have even moved into DOHC vs Pushrod engines, but those only celebrate when GM releases a new Vette engine.

The only issue I might have is how the entrance crosses the bike trail. My concern would be if delivery trucks or visitors etc block the path for any length of time, other than that I really look forward to this development, it should be a great addition to the neighborhood.

There's a really good example of ingress/egress from condos crossing a hike/bike trail over by target, it doesn't look too bad, but then I've never sat and really studied the interactions.

Another case of "the historic neighborhood" should freeze in time at exactly the point I want it to (usually" when I bought my house")

nah, they typically want the value to increase, while everything else that they bought the house for stays exactly the same, and all the bad things go away.

Blatant nimby propaganda post is blatant. I assume you just post this in every heights development thread and change the specific information as necessary.

When I look at that map, I see the exact same stand of trees along the old rail easement that is now the bike path. I do not see any development at all.

Turn on your monitor, rotate it so that map-north is at the top and take off your rose-colored glasses.

Blatant nimby propaganda post is blatant. I assume you just post this in every heights development thread and change the specific information as necessary.

Blantant pro-developer right-wing talk radio sheep. I bet you post this when ever anyone makes a critique about a development that you cannot respond to intelligently.

Turn on your monitor, rotate it so that map-north is at the top and take off your rose-colored glasses.

Ok. So there is a little house on part of that parcel. I would hardly call that "developed", but it was there. By 1980, it is completely gone and the land has been in a state of nature for over thirty years. Certainly, the new development should have to do drainage detention if they are doing more than an acre of impervious cover. And anyone in the neighborhood should look into hiring a hydrologist to look at the sheet flow of rainfall to see whether the proposed improvements to the gully will be sufficient to handle all the water that will be diverted.

Ok. So there is a little house on part of that parcel. I would hardly call that "developed", but it was there. By 1980, it is completely gone and the land has been in a state of nature for over thirty years. Certainly, the new development should have to do drainage detention if they are doing more than an acre of impervious cover. And anyone in the neighborhood should look into hiring a hydrologist to look at the sheet flow of rainfall to see whether the proposed improvements to the gully will be sufficient to handle all the water that will be diverted.

City does not require a developer to do that. Your trying to require a developer you don't like to do something that is not legally required by anyone else....All the developer has to do is divert to the bayou there, and then purchase off site detention. Its really that easy....You seem to ignore the obvious answer when you dont like its outcome.

When you buy next to a field that you don't own - there is no guarantee that you will always be next to a vacant field. I really do not understand why people seem to think that they should be permitted to control what other people do with their own land.

Did it ever occur to you that the person who owned that property long ago wanted to preserve it, as well as the entire area surrounding it as a forest, or nature preserve? Perhaps the real jerks are those people who built houses all around his forest and destroyed his bird watching?

wow.

Archived