1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Montrose, can you unpack that a little? I am a little behind on this area of town.

Downtown to this area along the bayou will be developed to tie into the west side. Trails cleaned up, a couple pedestrian bridges. I don't know if it will mirror the west side, but anything will be an improvement at this point. With Midway grabbing this site one of the bridges will likely go right inbetween the Jensen & Hirsch crossings. Linking the silos as well.

Only concerned with the big plot of land to the east of Middle. Also North of Freud. With Midway no longer a rumor, my fever to purchase is at a boiling point.

Plus our office is moving to Humble. Fiancé works in TMC. Apart from toxic soil, this area is looking pretty good.

• Like 5

Join us 'trose.  You and the fiancé would fit right in. 

This is exactly what we've been hoping for, over here in our little neighborhood.  We heard a mention of Midway's involvement recently in a neighborhood meeting and that they were working with Buffalo Bayou Partnership, on plans for the bayou.  Anne Olsen for BBP also informs that they have been working on development plans for the Bayou east of Downtown.  All sounds good too me, so far.  Its such a huge piece of property, I am sure that it will be a work in project for the decade to come.  And we need a lot more residents...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sanjorade said:

Mayor Turner wants a theme park for the city .... this could make for an interesting site.

This is what I was thinking when I first read the article today. Coincidental timing of this announcement? 

This site is 136 acres, AstroWorld was only 57 acres IIRC. Could work and tie with BBP bayou trail efforts. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

Booo amusement park.... BOOooooo. The UT Campus would have been a great idea. Or a Green Energy Corridor. Heck, you could even make a dock right there on the bayou to barge products out. The Cathexsis owners were using the site to ship Reactors to jobsites.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

I hope they incorporate the current office tower. Although I wouldn't complain if it washed out in contemporary design.

Yeah I had the same thought as well. If it's still structurally sound, I could see them renovating and possibly recladding the exterior especially since Midway typically likes to include office space in their projects. 

Edited by intencity77

18 hours ago, tigereye said:

This is what I was thinking when I first read the article today. Coincidental timing of this announcement? 

This site is 136 acres, AstroWorld was only 57 acres IIRC. Could work and tie with BBP bayou trail efforts. 

keep in mind the 57 acres was all park area, parking wasn't included. to have a decent sized park you'd have to build a parking structure on this much land.

If an amusement park, if it were me, I'd give 4 billion to Disney to build a theme park there. Imagine the taxes we'd make on 365 days of car rental tax and hotel guest tax. Not to mention restaurants, etc. I mean, we dumped ~500 million into a football stadium that gets used maybe 45 days a year. Let's spend 8x the money on something that will be used 8x as often. keep in mind, shanghai disney just cost 3.7 billion to build, so it's not like we'd be giving them free money, we'd be giving them the same deal we did with the users of the football stadium.

As awesome as an amusement park would be (and good proximity to two airports, and the scenic ship channel), I just don't see that happening. (even without the county giving whoever the same deal they'd give a football owner).

The best solution would be to offer all of NRG (parking lots, everything), including the old Astroworld site to Disney along with 4 billion, the only stipulation being that they have to incorporate the astrodome into whatever they build. give the rodeo the KBR site. so many problems solved!

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, tigereye said:

Astroworld was 104 acres, and as Samagon pointed out above, that was all amusement park; that 104 acres included no parking.

49 minutes ago, samagon said:

If an amusement park, if it were me, I'd give 4 billion to Disney to build a theme park there. Imagine the taxes we'd make on 365 days of car rental tax and hotel guest tax. Not to mention restaurants, etc. I mean, we dumped ~500 million into a football stadium that gets used maybe 45 days a year. Let's spend 8x the money on something that will be used 8x as often. keep in mind, shanghai disney just cost 3.7 billion to build, so it's not like we'd be giving them free money, we'd be giving them the same deal we did with the users of the football stadium.

As awesome as an amusement park would be (and good proximity to two airports, and the scenic ship channel), I just don't see that happening. (even without the county giving whoever the same deal they'd give a football owner).

The best solution would be to offer all of NRG (parking lots, everything), including the old Astroworld site to Disney along with 4 billion, the only stipulation being that they have to incorporate the astrodome into whatever they build. give the rodeo the KBR site. so many problems solved!

There is so much wrong with this post... but let's just start here:  Taxpayer portion of NRG Stadium was in the neighborhood of $287 Million, not even close to $500 Million.  (The stadium did not even cost $500 Million).

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

What kind of tax income would the city get on a theme park versus a mixed use site? Which would raise the property values more? Serious question.

Densely developed mixed use generates far more revenue than a theme park. Theme parks generally go for the cheapest land they can find that has good transportation access. Think of Splashtown buying land up in Spring off I-45 in the late 80's, when there was virtually nothing between The Woodlands and 1960.

This will not be a theme park. A more plausible idea is that it could be a theme/festival center similar to Faneuil Hall or Navy Pier. But I think it is too far from downtown. Something like that would have to be walking distance. I don't see tourism for this site, with so much more viable land along the bayou downtown and with the possible North Canal.

I see this as high quality neighborhood mixed use, not as retail-driven as Regent Square, more quiet with classy residences and modest office space that blend with the bayou park and have a strong nature and eco theme. Maybe instead of GreenStreet, GreenPark. Great place for a romantic date, away from the downtown noise. The new engagement spot after Vargo's.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Densely developed mixed use generates far more revenue than a theme park. Theme parks generally go for the cheapest land they can find that has good transportation access. Think of Splashtown buying land up in Spring off I-45 in the late 80's, when there was virtually nothing between The Woodlands and 1960.

This will not be a theme park. A more plausible idea is that it could be a theme/festival center similar to Faneuil Hall or Navy Pier. But I think it is too far from downtown. Something like that would have to be walking distance. I don't see tourism for this site, with so much more viable land along the bayou downtown and with the possible North Canal.

I see this as high quality neighborhood mixed use, not as retail-driven as Regent Square, more quiet with classy residences and modest office space that blend with the bayou park and have a strong nature and eco theme. Maybe instead of GreenStreet, GreenPark. Great place for a romantic date, away from the downtown noise. The new engagement spot after Vargo's.

The views 4 floors and up would be spectacular.

I really hope this lot doesn't become a theme park. What a waste of money for the bayou park to be spruced up only to have a barbed wire fence running alongside. 

• Like 3

I didn't think you could drive personal watercraft through certain parts of the ship channel? If so, it would be an inland marina isolated from open waters.

It would be nice for Midway to work with BBP to get some sort of water taxi/bayou boat service between KBR and Allens Landing though..

I don't know if they had to get special permission but during the Super Bowl  several fairly large outboards came up from the bay and docked at Allen's Landing. They said they had to work with the tides but mentioned no special permitting. The boaters said they came up to have drinks in Market Square.