59 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Feels like in the time they've worked on the bayou 2404 Navigation has almost been entirely built. Any reason this is lagging so hard?

I would imagine it is because 2404 Navigation isn't relying on dozens of companies to commit to leases during the biggest health crisis since the 80s. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, JBTX said:

Not to mention the fact that 2404 is one small lot while East River is a massive development that needs utilities, roads, and all that jazz run before you can even start.

I think people forget this. They are literally building a (very) small city from scratch for East River.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I think people forget this. They are literally building a (very) small city from scratch for East River.

It just feels like we'd see more of this "small town" development happening other than just waterfront reinforcement. The pending lease commitments make sense.

Edited by ljchou
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brendan said:

I don't have access to the full article, but I saw this today. Not good news for the project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/07/27/two-midway-vice-presidents-leave-the-company.html

Its good knowledge to know about change in leadership, but why do people automatically register a change in leadership as a bad thing? This is a pattern that I've noticed for awhile now. Like do you think of it as bad news when a friend of yours goes to another company and gets a better job somewhere else or gets a promotion to a different position? To me this seems like a logical fallacy, or a zero-sum fallacy. Change in leadership is a good thing. It means maybe a better person is coming in or moving up, and a change in leadership means the organization doesn't get stilted and rigid. Maybe this actually benefits projects like East River because someone with different ideas can have input on the project. You would need to supply evidence that the company is at a financial loss or there is bad office culture, etc... to justify that position.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Its good knowledge to know about change in leadership, but why do people automatically register a change in leadership as a bad thing? This is a pattern that I've noticed for awhile now. Like do you think of it as bad news when a friend of yours goes to another company and gets a better job somewhere else or gets a promotion to a different position? To me this seems like a logical fallacy, or a zero-sum fallacy. Change in leadership is a good thing. It means maybe a better person is coming in or moving up, and a change in leadership means the organization doesn't get stilted and rigid. Maybe this actually benefits projects like East River because someone with different ideas can have input on the project. You would need to supply evidence that the company is at a financial loss or there is bad office culture, etc... to justify that position.

To HAIFers, EVERYTHING is bad news.   😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

It's because when executives depart, it usually does not presage amazing things happening at a company (since an exec is less likely to leave if the company is about to experience transformative value growth), but it can sometimes presage bad things happening at a company (extreme case being the departure of executives from Enron in the year leading up to its implosion). Though often, as you say, it is just people getting a better job somewhere else, although two leaving at once raises eyebrows. It also can disrupt the development of large projects, since different executives often means a change in direction or a disruption in relationships. An example is when Texas Medical Center had a leadership change back in 2018 IIRC, and it led to a big delay in TMC3.

A good sign of health at Midway though is their development of an in-house leasing arm. I am not worried about them as a company.

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

To HAIFers, EVERYTHING is bad news.   😉

Is that why there's always so many likes and cheers when someone posts good news? 😉

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So basically they are developing infrastructure for 65 blocks right now. Phase one is dependent on pre-leasing and they see this pandemic as a good time to develop. I think most companies are optimistic about early next year and the opportunity to meet a greater demand when things begin to open up. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ljchou said:

Post on East River's instagram story teasing confirmation of a movie theater lease. Will be announced Monday.

Alamo Drafthouse is opening up their Katy area theater for the first time since closing in March. Hopefully there is some synergy and they announce their first inner-loop location at East River. 

• Like 5

On 8/24/2020 at 4:01 PM, JBTX said:

Per Buffalo Bayou Partnership FB page, it is a drive-in theatre:

Theatre website: https://www.moonstruckdrivein.com/

Good on them for doing this... Also they brought The New Potato bar from next door over to make specialty drinks for people. Smart move by East River to keep local businesses alive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://www.houstoniamag.com/arts-and-culture/2020/09/fifth-ward-moonstruck-drive-in-cinema-showing-tenet

Go See Christopher Nolan’s New Thriller, Tenet, at This Fifth Ward Drive-In

ffhaRRT.png

Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema, which shows its first movie on Sept 3, will be screening films on a giant structure made from storage containers. 

By Brittany Cristiano  9/3/2020 at 2:59pm

IN NEED OF PLANS FOR THE LONG WEEKEND? Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema near the East River should be your destination. A collaboration between Blue Moon Cinemas and Hockley’s Showboat Drive-In, the new Fifth Ward drive-in, which opens September 3, will project films onto a 40- by 80-foot structure made from storage containers, according to a press release. And while the unique screen could be a draw, the big excitement is that Christopher Nolan’s highly anticipated spy epic Tenet is kicking off the new venue’s screenings.

One of the biggest movie events of the year (and not just because this year’s film season was basically cancelled), little is known about Nolan’s new film, save for its insane budget and stacked cast, which includes John David Washington, Michael Cane, Kenneth Branagh, and Robert Pattinson. Seriously, its plot has been something of a closely guarded Hollywood secret. What we do know is that it involves a time-bending mission to prevent a World War III—as if 2020 hasn’t been bad enough.

According to the release, Moonstruck will show both newly released and classic movies (this weekend’s schedule also includes stoner-throwback Bill and Ted Face the Music and Pixar’s Inside Out) and will also host drive-in concerts and other experiences. Each showing will allow up to 200 cars, and spots are first-come, first-serve. Event-goers will also get a give a fantastic view of downtown and a first glimpse of real estate investment group Midway’s 150-acre East River development, which has been inaccessible to Houstonians for years.

$25 (price includes a car permit and tickets for all passengers). Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema, 100 Bringhurst St. More info and tickets at moonstruckdrivein.com.

• Like 9

Went and saw Tenet at this drive-in last weekend. The experience was... lacking.

They really had an opportunity to do something genuinely cool and lift everyone's spirits in a time where we're all desperately in need of a little escape. Instead, this seemed like a minimum-possible-effort operation.

The screen is... acceptable. Not big, and definitely not bright. But it's a drive-in, so they mostly get a pass for that kind of stuff. They had a lot of audio technical issues up front, which resulted in none of the previews being watchable. It was thankfully fixed for the main feature, albeit starting at least 15 minutes late.

But where they really failed is in the experience surrounding the movie. There was one sad taco truck, one sad drinks tent run by The New Potato, and one bank of portapotties that... were out of order. The drink tent purported to sell beer, wine, and White Claw, but they were out of wine. With a little bit of effort they could really have made this into a fun, safe place to spend an evening that I'd be looking forward to returning to.

At least the skyline view is great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Went and saw Tenet at this drive-in last weekend. The experience was... lacking.

They really had an opportunity to do something genuinely cool and lift everyone's spirits in a time where we're all desperately in need of a little escape. Instead, this seemed like a minimum-possible-effort operation.

The screen is... acceptable. Not big, and definitely not bright. But it's a drive-in, so they mostly get a pass for that kind of stuff. They had a lot of audio technical issues up front, which resulted in none of the previews being watchable. It was thankfully fixed for the main feature, albeit starting at least 15 minutes late.

But where they really failed is in the experience surrounding the movie. There was one sad taco truck, one sad drinks tent run by The New Potato, and one bank of portapotties that... were out of order. The drink tent purported to sell beer, wine, and White Claw, but they were out of wine. With a little bit of effort they could really have made this into a fun, safe place to spend an evening that I'd be looking forward to returning to.

At least the skyline view is great.

From the moment I saw this was announced, I expected this. They hyped up an announcement for a theater, when they know everyone is waiting to see who will occupy the space, and they give us this, they aren't reading the room. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot