21 minutes ago, HOUTEX said:

Pretty sure Midway sold that site some time back. 

Their signs had been up at the site the last time I was over there about a month ago and had just been put up within the two years or so. 

My understanding is that they were trying to hold onto this lot to attract something like a grocery store or an anchor type building for the East End. Unless they sold to Marquette it would surprise me to find that they let this go to another developer. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to East River: KBR Site Puchased by Midway
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Efkelly25 said:

What does this mean?

BGE is an engineering firm. They are currently working on storm and sewer infrastructure on site, particularly at the Bayou. My guess is someone decided to have a little fun with the application.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

50014160696_c202a59b19_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

although this looks great and is very nice.  it won't be long until mother nature reclaims that part of the trail to herself.  this bayou, like most in Texas meanders on it's own and changes with each big flooding cycle.  It would be nice for them to put our bike trails much higher or further away from the water's edge so that all that incredible work wouldn't go to waste with a constant barrage of 500 year and 1000 year floods that seem to keep happening at an increased rate.  for some reason, mankind, and especially the agency controlling this waterway within Houston, always seems to think we can wrestle, reign in, and generally control our natural habitats and waterways without regard to future consequences.  It is a complicated ecosystem and would serve all of us well to better understand what mother nature has taken hundreds of thousands of years to put in place, for our enjoyment and use.  Yes, if we could only get rid of stuff like concrete lining of the bayou, cutting off sharp turns whenever it suits us, throwing rip rap on the sides to "shore it up" all the time knowing because of past events that all these things do after a number of years is worsen flooding and bank erosion.  I know for sure there is a way to put the bike trails safely at a certain sustainable distance and/or elevation so that we aren't having to tear down and recreate the trails after every big flood event in Houston and Harris County.  But then again, I don't believe working with nature is one of this agency's priorities in the least.  If it were, we wouldn't have bad decision after bad decision create worse flooding and the need for more and more money to "fix" the problems over the long run.

But I digest...

• Like 2

ArtNsf - The sheet piles will prevent the erosion of the bank...that is what they are designed to do.   BBP knows this and they are the ones designing the waterfront.  When they surveyed what residents wanted from the Easter Sector landscaped a big response was the ability to get close to the water, including entry points and water taxi landings.  That is what you are seeing here, as the sheet piles taper down towards water level.  Certainly, during floods, this "hard" edge will become inundated and the water's edge will ascend the slope behind the bulkhead.  But, the bank will is not likely to fail.  Certainly, there will be silting and clean-up will be required...but this isn't terribly difficult.  The Partnership has learned a lot of lessons from Harvey and generally knows what they are doing.  The hard-bank/bulkhead, which is being installed, is necessary to prevent erosion, but IMO, it is good to see that it wont just be a 30ft wall all along edge of the East River property.  It'll make it far more enjoyable to use and enjoy, even if it has to be closed and cleaned from time to time.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I haven't seen any pictures of this side of Downtown. I'm told by local businesses and residents the area did well during Harvey. It's unlikely Midway would be putting so much bank on the side of the bayou without doing their homework on flooding/erosion.

Also, at a certain point past Downtown, tides and wind control the water levels, not rainfall.

• Like 2

downstream of downtown is pretty safe from flooding. 

all the buildup around the bayou in downtown creates a dam of sorts within the channel only a specific volume of water can get through per unit of time. if the volume of water entering the bayou upriver is greater than that then it backs up and fills up the channel. eventually overtopping the 'banks' and starts going through the streets/buildings.

it isn't until after the confluence of the WOB and buffalo that the channel opens up.

I'm certainly not a hydrologist, but through observation of how Harvey and previous floods worked their way through the bayou system you can see that there is a severe blockage somewhere in downtown.  I had a really great vantage point to watch from my office that occupied one of the entire upper floors of Chase tower.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 12:55 PM, samagon said:

I'm certainly not a hydrologist, but through observation of how Harvey and previous floods worked their way through the bayou system you can see that there is a severe blockage somewhere in downtown.  I had a really great vantage point to watch from my office that occupied one of the entire upper floors of Chase tower.

Right, isn't that do to the many DT bayou bends that are soon to be turned into the (presently funded, but in que with i45 build-outs) north canal? No hydrologist either but if that sharp bend always caused flooding and backups in and around that part of down town what does it mean for east river area when the kink in the hose is released? Other than the phase five bend most looks pretty straight so I'd hope nothing much would change.

Edited by Two
  • Like 3