To the extent Houston is still an industry town, I would expect phases 2 thru whatever to slow down. The energy industry is going to get absolutely hammered. Have a look at oil and gas stocks over the last month to see what the consensus outlook seems to be.

Predictions are that global oil demand could be 10% lower, and prices below $20, which will decimate free cash flow at operators, who will need to slash capital spending to keep paying their dividends (oil majors are very reluctant to cut dividends), which will have a trickle down effect on the supplier base, much of which is still recovering from the 2015-6 slump. There will be bankruptcies. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, htownbro said:

I wonder if this project or any other developing projects get stalled if the economy tanks due to this coronavirus situation.

I am hopeful that TMC3 can start this spring since it is medical. I don't have much hope for any other Houston project that hasn't broken ground yet.

• Like 4

You also would assume no movement at some of the construction sites across town because we aren't supposed to aggregate in a space with more than 10 people, and (hopefully) most people are working from home. So while oil and gas is crazy right now, I also would hope the construction companies are suspending or slowing down construction so they don't have 50 people standing right next to each other every day. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, X.R. said:

You also would assume no movement at some of the construction sites across town because we aren't supposed to aggregate in a space with more than 10 people, and (hopefully) most people are working from home. So while oil and gas is crazy right now, I also would hope the construction companies are suspending or slowing down construction so they don't have 50 people standing right next to each other every day. 

Your hope unfortunately just doesn't reflect reality in this case. Most people already don't work that close to one another in a construction site, and due to a lot of regulations, already have to take precautions when it comes to people's safety. The only times when they have to get close to one another is to coordinate for various instances whether it is between disciplines, detailing, etc... A construction site isn't a "gathering" of people, but individual people working in tandem with one another. The worst thing they can do right now is suspend operations unless its absolutely necessary. Its easy for someone in a bougie job like myself or someone who works in an office to say, "oh we should just all work remotely", but that just isn't the reality for the vast majority of people. The real tragedy in all this is the regular working class person because there jobs can't be done remotely. Most jobs can't be done remotely. Even if we had the tech for remote access to be possible, all these jobs require human interaction at some level because most info just can't be conveyed via a computer which is what most simply don't understand. We are seeing this issue come up at the office I'm working at. Yeah fine if a person is working on a task where they can just plug away and work continuously on something then that is fine, but design is a very interactive and collaborative process, and one of the biggest components is face to face human interaction. I can understand people taking precautions, and people should be cautious going forward, but suspending everything or canceling everything is a massive overreaction.

• Like 4

Piggybacking off Luminare's post, I'm working from home and I can promise you that 2404 Navigation shows no signs of slowing down. Also, there are definitely more than 10 people people on-site. But like Luminare said, they are all spaced out already, not really in close proximity, and just out there doing their thing.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Efkelly25 said:

Wha does that mean?

It depends on how they intend to use the land. I've been unable to find any plans or materials for that lot. That said, soil samples are usually performed before foundations get dug/poured.

And they are out there again today. 3 trucks.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, JBTX said:

It depends on how they intend to use the land. I've been unable to find any plans or materials for that lot. That said, soil samples are usually performed before foundations get dug/poured.

And they are out there again today. 3 trucks.

HEB come on down. Keep the building less than five stories please, I like having a view as do hundreds of others who haven't been obstructed yet. A lot of people will basically be set for the future as far as the view of downtown (including the new development across the street) if this lot isn't a tall building. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

HEB come on down. Keep the building less than five stories please, I like having a view as do hundreds of others who haven't been obstructed yet. A lot of people will basically be set for the future as far as the view of downtown (including the new development across the street) if this lot isn't a tall building. 

I have visions of the first dual-use HEB/Specs. If that happens, I would have literally everything I could ever need at my doorstep. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

It's the perfect spot for an HEB. Hopefully this doesnt turn into another midtown Fiesta. The homeless population is horrible here 2-3 days a week.

I lived at the apartments across from the site for about a year. While it's close to a lot of things, access to the site is a little tricky coming from EaDo or Downtown. Navigation is a one lane underpass from Chartres and Runnels is often slow due to the train. I think this site would be best suited for another apartment complex. GFR would work here since there is a lot going on in the area.

I think the best place for an HEB would be is off Leeland where Reece Supply (2606 Bell St, Houston, TX 77003) currently sits. It would be great for EaDo, Eastwood, and Third Ward. 

Thoughts?

• Like 3

Frank's MDI site development has already started. He will is working from West to East it looks like. There are townhomes going up called Bayou Fifth which is the name for the whole development. Expect this to take the next 5-8 years to totally build out if the market gets better. 

• Like 4