1 hour ago, JBTX said:

Repair Jensen is an absolute must. It's a rough drive at the moment.

Agreed on HEB for sure. Maybe soon! Hard pass on total wine though. Specs all the way 😍

That lot across from the Navigation development is so perfect for HEB. I'm just waiting for the day that Midway convinces them it's where they need to be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Cool video and all, but I didn't see any plans for a Total Wine or HEB Market. NEXT! /s

I've said it before but I sincerely hope for the City to repair Jensen and to build an underpass on Waco/Hirsch at the tracks.

We proposed this to USGC Rail District and Union Pacific. Union Pacific told us that they dont have money in their budget to help communities.... Since 2010, their stock has gone from $35 per share to $183/share

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

That lot across from the Navigation development is so perfect for HEB. I'm just waiting for the day that Midway convinces them it's where they need to be. 

This would make me shit a literal brick. Would be IDEAL.

• Like 3

Sorry for spamming... Things are happening quickly.... @Urbannizer you may want to move this. The release from the Save East End folks fighting the affordable Housing mentioned earlier in this post just released this update from last nights HHA board meeting:

We have been advised that the president and CEO of the Houston Housing Authority, Tory Gunsolley, was fired yesterday.  Stay tuned as more information and details come out. 

This is most likely due to the CoH accepting $70MM from TXDOT for the I-45 re-route project and building tax-free apartments next on 25+acres next to east river. This was to replace Clayton Homes. 

http://www.saveeastend.com/

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Sorry for spamming... Things are happening quickly.... @Urbannizer you may want to move this. The release from the Save East End folks fighting the affordable Housing mentioned earlier in this post just released this update from last nights HHA board meeting:

We have been advised that the president and CEO of the Houston Housing Authority, Tory Gunsolley, was fired yesterday.  Stay tuned as more information and details come out. 

This is most likely due to the CoH accepting $70MM from TXDOT for the I-45 re-route project and building tax-free apartments next on 25+acres next to east river. This was to replace Clayton Homes. 

http://www.saveeastend.com/

Can you explain the impact of the firing on the East River development? I've seen news about the legislation against the TxDOT/COH approvals of the low income housing, but curious what this means for the KBR/East River site.

Thanks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Can you explain the impact of the firing on the East River development? I've seen news about the legislation against the TxDOT/COH approvals of the low income housing, but curious what this means for the KBR/East River site.

Thanks!

Its unbelievable honestly. East River is happening. Whatever this low income housing project is has nothing to do with East River, and the reroute won't have any effect on this project either. I can only imagine the hysteria and news stories that will be coming out once the Reroute actually begins.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Its unbelievable honestly. East River is happening. Whatever this low income housing project is has nothing to do with East River, and the reroute won't have any effect on this project either. I can only imagine the hysteria and news stories that will be coming out once the Reroute actually begins.

If that's the case, should we separate these posts to create a "Save the East End" post to discuss the impact of the HHA dealings, legislation, and afforable/mixed/low-income developments in the area?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ljchou said:

If that's the case, should we separate these posts to create a "Save the East End" post to discuss the impact of the HHA dealings, legislation, and afforable/mixed/low-income developments in the area?

In my opinion, as I'm not a moderator, yes. Its fine when its synergies, or relationships between different projects, but if its an update to a project next door that isn't part of this one then that update should be with that project. Otherwise it just gets confusing, and speculation arises that doesn't need too.

Speaking of which, do we have a thread for this Affordable Housing project that will replace The Clayton Homes?

• Like 1

You know, i actually like this design very much. Its a beautiful, dense urban development, and one I could see filling Eastern Houston quite well. That whole area has always felt neglected ever since they cancelled the Harrisburg Expressway, leading to development moving westward.

Though, for the past few years, I figured the location would work as a place for the city to build its new Public Safety Facility and Police HQ and also be big enough to hold the County Courts and administration. The City tried to buy the old Post Office north of Downtown to put the public safety complex there and there's controversy over what to do with court buildings after the Harvey flooding. I thought the location was ideal for both purposes, since this property is in close proximity to the sheriff's office, prisons, and joint prisoner intake, but I should have known developers had snatched it up.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:03 PM, downtownian said:

I would reverse Stage 4 and Stage 5 (do stage 5 first because it is bayou adjacent while Stage 4 does not front water).

I would also do that, but maybe the larger buildings are commercial and they are looking for tenants to fill the office space?

• Like 6

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Midway-CEO-begins-term-as-Central-Houston-board-14993408.php

This is good news for East River. Midway was disappointed with TXDOT's willingness to incorporate new entrances and exits to their plan to help the East Side of downtown. Hopefully this provides additional leverage to this. 

"One of Central Houston's biggest projects is improving transportation options relating to TxDOT’s North Houston Highway Improvement Project, which would change the freeway boundaries associated with downtown and open up opportunities for more park space."

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Midway-CEO-begins-term-as-Central-Houston-board-14993408.php

This is good news for East River. Midway was disappointed with TXDOT's willingness to incorporate new entrances and exits to their plan to help the East Side of downtown. Hopefully this provides additional leverage to this. 

"One of Central Houston's biggest projects is improving transportation options relating to TxDOT’s North Houston Highway Improvement Project, which would change the freeway boundaries associated with downtown and open up opportunities for more park space."

Source for Midway's disappointment?  In any event, I don't foresee any additional entrances and exits being added on the east side of downtown as a result of this.

Midway was arguing the removal of the Jensen Entrance ramp to the North West of the project. TXDOT kept coming back and saying it was not geometrically feasible. TXDOT really screwed over the east side on this project by limiting entrances and exits to the freeways and downtown. Midways investment tot he east end will hopefully spur things like a Canal Underpass and better freeway entrances and exits. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Luminare said:

It already did break ground. What you are seeing is the beginning of the project. A massive amount of civil work is required before they can even get close to constructing buildings. They are basically building a mini-city on land that had very little infrastructure to begin with. We won't see much progress for a bit. Once we see streets finished then the buildings will begin. For reference look at the photos of the Lower Heights District. For awhile it looked like nothing was happening, but during that time they were putting in all the storm/sewer and surface infrastructure which is required to get things going in an urban core project like these. Yes you can do it the other way where you build everything at once, but sometimes its better to do it the way they are doing it.

My daughter worked for Kimley Horn and I learned so much from her about the vast amount of behind the scenes and prep work involved in construction projects. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, quietstorm said:

My daughter worked for Kimley Horn and I learned so much from her about the vast amount of behind the scenes and prep work involved in construction projects. 

Yeah. Those outside have no idea. When you do experience some behind the scenes stuff, or are part of the profession like I am, you are actually amazed anything ever gets built at all which ends up as a humbling experience, and you learn to gain a greater appreciation for whatever does get built both good and bad.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 1:37 PM, ljchou said:

Anyone have updates on the progression of this project? Was hoping to hear news of groundbreaking by now.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:40 PM, Luminare said:

It

Got ya, it didn’t sound right but who knows. Maybe he was talking about the pouring of the foundation. I was driving by and spoke to someone. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 7:32 PM, Efkelly25 said:

Got ya, it didn’t sound right but who knows. Maybe he was talking about the pouring of the foundation. I was driving by and spoke to someone. 

I know we definitely appreciate the insider info. Just needs more specificity. I don't know whether this means foundation for infrastructure that will hold back the bayou, or foundations for buildings, or pouring for streets. Its just such a big site this could be for anything! If you really want to dig deeper into what is going on this site then take a look at our Forum Map and Spreadsheet which I've been developing and take a look at the layout of things. if you happen to run into that guy again then try to zero in on specifics. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for contributing.

(Spreadsheet)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12R-HUQA61iHwOnsu3ejahd4vDlz3UuWjOSaE_na2xp4/edit?usp=sharing

(Map)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer?hl=en&ll=29.74450800320124%2C-95.37503325305198&z=16&mid=1J_89cR1sxP4muIAHRJlm6TajoQPyoswJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 9:49 PM, Efkelly25 said:

I talked to someone and was told they are going to start pouring the Foundation and had a completion date of July. I wonder if that is even possible or how true it could be? 

Although I believe this schedule is too aggressive, I did pass by this morning (it's my every morning commute) and I noticed they had taken the fences down and did see some wood out there. Could be possible that they will start formwork soon and they needed to remove the fence to start delivering more materials and such. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, elpigto said:

Although I believe this schedule is too aggressive, I did pass by this morning (it's my every morning commute) and I noticed they had taken the fences down and did see some wood out there. Could be possible that they will start formwork soon and they needed to remove the fence to start delivering more materials and such. 

If they have a bunch of lumber out there then that could mean they are going to start form work soon. On what remains a question. We would need more visual aids.

• Like 4