13 hours ago, Triton said:

EastRiver.JPG

I saw this too. A couple of takeaways.... There is no through street to the east end. I thought that Gregg Street would connect to Middle Street. Also I may be reading too much into this but I think you can see from the Squares with Open Spaces in the middle, where they plan on having Apartments. The multi-building plots along Clinton must be retail/commercial. Most office buildings looks to be located closer to the bayou or to the east. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

I saw this too. A couple of takeaways.... There is no through street to the east end. I thought that Gregg Street would connect to Middle Street.

That of course would require the construction of a bridge over Buffalo Bayou.  The Hirsch and Jensen Street bridges at the east and west ends provide through streets to the east end.

There also appear to be perhaps 4 pedestrian bridges.

• Like 1

Hey Mr Clean.

I think that you at correct about the "Squares with open spaces" being apartment buildings.  The large Standard sized blocks in each one of these square seem to have shadows, so I bet that that would indicate mid-rise with parking beneath.  Or .  The small plots along Clinton look to me like, townhomes/single family.  Without any parking in their vicinity, I doubt that they would be retail fronts.  The western edge looks like small retail, where the NE corner appears to be Grocery store and other retail pads. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Triton said:

EastRiver.JPG

A few thoughts.

1. As Ellen said, the street grid is a good sign, especially as it links with the existing street grid outside the site.

2. Development looks dense, which is good news but will take awhile if it's really built out like this (big if). There are probably as many multi-family units in here as there are in all of Midtown currently.

3. Looks like we might get a good walkable retail street with an urban village atmosphere. The natural candidate for this would be Clinton Drive, but since there is no zoning, you have no idea what will happen across the street. Development must turn inward.

4. This could be what Regent Square should have been, only with less of a high street fashion orientation.

5. Success will be driven by Buffalo Bayou improvements and townhome developments outside the site to help establish the neighborhood and support retail.

6. Looks like they are probably hoping for a corporate campus or perhaps an education/research campus as the anchor on the eastern end. Of course any educational campus would be limited to UH, since the local political wolves will chase off any of the big $ state universities.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Hey Mr Clean.

I think that you at correct about the "Squares with open spaces" being apartment buildings.  The large Standard sized blocks in each one of these square seem to have shadows, so I bet that that would indicate mid-rise with parking beneath.  Or .  The small plots along Clinton look to me like, townhomes/single family.  Without any parking in their vicinity, I doubt that they would be retail fronts.  The western edge looks like small retail, where the NE corner appears to be Grocery store and other retail pads. 

Probably just my preference but I think they have an opportunity to get rid of the classic grocery store with the 500 parking spaces on this site. They should have made it more central to the site to allow better walkability. Also do something like Phoenician and mix in a Wine bar on top with a great downtown view. I think they will have trouble filling the NE corner though.

You are probably right about the townhomes too. Which would mean there would be a lot!

• Like 1

for some perspective: city centre is about 47 acres while regent square is just 23 acres and this site is an astonishing 150 acres

city centre is already nearing 13 years old :o  it's almost complete but still growing.

regent square is coming up on 10 years old and there's not much to say... 

hopefully AMZN will come in and, along with midway, build this site out quickly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 79ta said:

for some perspective: city centre is about 47 acres while regent square is just 23 acres and this site is an astonishing 150 acres

city centre is already nearing 13 years old :o  it's almost complete but still growing.

regent square is coming up on 10 years old and there's not much to say... 

hopefully AMZN will come in and, along with midway, build this site out quickly

Today is Tuesday.  If this were China, that 150 acre plot of raw land would be 100% built and ready for occupancy by Friday.  Of course, no one would be living there but that is another story all together!

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to East River - KBR Site Puchased by Midway
2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

If the second Amazon HQ comes here, Amazon workers will have a choice:  1) constant rain or 2) constant heat.

at least they would get consistency.

... he posts on a beautiful October day when it is 73 degrees in Houston and 62 and sunny in Seattle.

Hopefully, Amazon workers will deal more in reality than in myths.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

If the second Amazon HQ comes here, Amazon workers will have a choice:  1) constant rain or 2) constant heat.

at least they would get consistency.

They would prefer constant heat because we have AC and pools!

Edited by htownbro
  • Like 1

"Business officials agree Houston looks to be a good choice for the corporate giant to set up its second headquarters; among other benefits, the city’s proximity to Austin could attract tech talent.

Houston offers a growing talent pool of young professionals with several universities, colleges and tech trade schools in town – a check for Amazon’s search for locations meant to “attract and retain strong technical talent.”

Houston additionally well exceeds the minimum population requirement of 1 million outlined by Amazon as one of its guidelines.

The recent growth in population means diversity and talent, and a large workforce to hire from; real estate, though suffering with damage from Harvey, is still favorable, as there is plenty of land and plans to grow in Houston.

The city, furthermore, is located close to major airports and airlines, railroads and shipping lines, all modes of transport helpful for Amazon to get its products out more quickly.

To make the sell sweeter, Houston is part of Texas’ “business friendly culture” and happy “quality of life,” with the city offering tax breaks to businesses in the area and putting in serious work on things, like parks, cultural institutions and restaurants, in recent years."

WE WIN!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, htownbro said:

I think Amazon will shock people and pick a city that is not a frontrunner...hopefully Houston! 

I hope your right but I think Houston, and Texas  has not shown that they are ready for the types of things Amazon is looking for. 

Too much conservative bathroom talk. Dan Patrick

Not enough plans to complete the rail system      John Culberson

Too much flooding

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I hope your right but I think Houston, and Texas  has not shown that they are ready for the types of things Amazon is looking for. 

Too much flooding

We have more space and available land.  Bezos will come back home. 

8 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Too much flooding

BINGO!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HOUTEX said:

Leave the bathroom politics in the past and quit beating dead horses. 

Tell that to the local and state Repugs in power constantly beating that dead horse. Large companies like Amazon definitely take these state sponsored discrimination issues very seriously, especially when considering a large headquarters facility. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, intencity77 said:

Tell that to the local and state Repugs in power constantly beating that dead horse. Large companies like Amazon definitely take these state sponsored discrimination issues very seriously, especially when considering a large headquarters facility. 

I didn't think this was the Amazon thread. As I recall several posts from this thread were deemed inappropriate and moved to that thread when the Amazon RFP originally went out, including the aforementioned subject (circa Sept. 10). I'm in agreement with the disdain for a needless bill like what was being championed by the Lt. Gov., but this thread doesn't seem like the appropriate place to reopen that subject.