https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-chicago-builders-mixed-use-eado-project-delayed-next-door-maritime-museum-reopens-in-temporary-home/

The museum reopened Jan. 22 in the former HISD school building. It was originally in a retrofitted residential home, but had been on hiatus for six months while staff and volunteers prepared for the move.

In March 2016, the museum directors announced plans to relocation to the Port of Houston. Construction was to have begun mid-2018 on a stunning, 38,00-square-foot, multi-story structure that included a full-size ship exhibit docked on the port side of a campus that was to be leased from the port authority.

The project has been supported by Frost Bank. As described in this Vimeo video, Gensler has been designing the plans at discount rates and Tellepsen was identified as the contractor. However, the project came with a steep price tag of $45 million to $50 million.

When the project was announced, the intention was to have the permanent facility open by the end of 2019. That timeline was dependent on the success of the capital campaign, which, among other factors has been affected by Hurricane Harvey. It’s unclear when construction will begin, but the museum board of directors still have ambitions of opening the new facility on the banks of Buffalo Bayou in a few years.

• Like 2

This has to be in reference to the East River site:

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc/news/opportunity-zones/with-help-of-opportunity-zone-incubator-fund-targets-development-around-hbcus-97695?rt=67397

Five opportunity funds have been involved with the incubator thus far. In addition to the HBCU fund, the incubator is helping launch funds targeting startup companies in New Orleans, businesses in the Pacific Northwest, economic development in the Gulf Coast and commercial development in Houston's Fifth Ward. 

• Like 2

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/midway-is-in-early-stages-of-transforming-the-old-kbr-complex-east-of-downtown-11238927

No new information, but it does link to an article where, in the comments, a user states he was told a grocery store would be the first project. Whoever puts the first store here is going to quickly realize that multiple surrounding neighborhoods, Including Downtown, are starved for a closer store. 

When I drove by this morning, It seemed like there were more people working on site  than normal. I'm excited to see a timeline and I'm wondering how long Midway will hold off on sharing more information for such plans and any estimates on phase I construction. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/midway-is-in-early-stages-of-transforming-the-old-kbr-complex-east-of-downtown-11238927

No new information, but it does link to an article where, in the comments, a user states he was told a grocery store would be the first project. Whoever puts the first store here is going to quickly realize that multiple surrounding neighborhoods, Including Downtown, are starved for a closer store. 

When I drove by this morning, It seemed like there were more people working on site  than normal. I'm excited to see a timeline and I'm wondering how long Midway will hold off on sharing more information for such plans and any estimates on phase I construction. 

With HEB's rapid growth in the urban core, especially with them working with Midway already at Buffalo Heights, I don't think it's really any surprise that an HEB would go here.

• Like 5

Looking back at the Candyland Map and the amount of land that has been cleared (To the first Blue Street), we are looking at the below development in the 1st phase:

• Multi-family
  • Retail (Maybe Grocery)
  • Townhomes
  • Park
  • Offices
  • Museum
  • Theater / Garage

https://www.virtualbx.com/feature-story/houston-east-river-traffic-plan-goes-to-planning-commission/

• Like 4

The strange thing is, all this development right now seems to be before they dip their toes into the opportunity zone. Once that starts and this builds out ~50%, I could see this starting to change rapidly. They were not kidding when Midway said this land could fit 4 city centers. This area could be a savior for a lot of the businesses that are run down by the 45 expansion:"

• Tout Suite
  • Huynh
  • Neil's Bahr
  • Kim Son
  • Little Woodrows (Although we prefer The New Potato)
  • Noname Fit Studios
  • True Anomaly Brewery (With Robo Journalism)

There could be some immediate East End tenants rather than name brand filler. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

The strange thing is, all this development right now seems to be before they dip their toes into the opportunity zone. Once that starts and this builds out ~50%, I could see this starting to change rapidly. They were not kidding when Midway said this land could fit 4 city centers. This area could be a savior for a lot of the businesses that are run down by the 45 expansion:"

• Tout Suite
  • Huynh
  • Neil's Bahr
  • Kim Son
  • Little Woodrows (Although we prefer The New Potato)
  • Noname Fit Studios
  • True Anomaly Brewery (With Robo Journalism)

There could be some immediate East End tenants rather than name brand filler. 

Completely agree. With construction on the highway expansion slated to start next year, thus land acquisition also going forward, this might all be the perfect timing. I can really visualize Tout Suite being at the Truss Town Coffee location in the renderings. 

• Like 1

QKRjpKu.jpg&key=48f304b915b13fe676b08e21

Looking at this image, it doesn't look like they are expecting any transit at all - anyone not already at this site will arrive by car.  It's set back from the main road by probably 1/4 mile, so everywhere well inside it will be 1/2 mi from a bus stop at Jensen and the entrance road.  I doubt they will have buses inside it, and of course this is on the other side of the bayou from the Green line, so light rail is out of the question. 

Having at least a pedestrian bridge cross the bayou might help the idea that you can walk to this place

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Triton said:

Completely agree. With construction on the highway expansion slated to start next year, thus land acquisition also going forward, this might all be the perfect timing. I can really visualize Tout Suite being at the Truss Town Coffee location in the renderings. 

This was partly going to be my criticism for that presentation about the highway project. That project doesn't exist in a vacuum. Just because they have to move doesn't mean they will just poof disappear. There are many many projects happening in this city. They will be able to move where ever they want too and do different things. Same with the people that have to move.

My guess is that they are waiting for East End Management District to pay for some things.... I somehow doubt that 5th Ward CRC or TIRZ 18 is going to take the money from this property and re-invest it in this area. Look for that money to be invested in the north side of 5th ward. 

5 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Looking at this image, it doesn't look like they are expecting any transit at all - anyone not already at this site will arrive by car.  It's set back from the main road by probably 1/4 mile, so everywhere well inside it will be 1/2 mi from a bus stop at Jensen and the entrance road.  I doubt they will have buses inside it, and of course this is on the other side of the bayou from the Green line, so light rail is out of the question. 

Having at least a pedestrian bridge cross the bayou might help the idea that you can walk to this place

I think you exaggerating quite a bit. To the theater, I see a one block set back from the Jensen metro stops as well as a half a block distance from Clinton metro stops.  If the East End has its way, then there would be a street car to n Jensen and Clinton. But...I’ll believe that when I see it. 

the new potato will be LONG gone by the time Phase 2 rolls out. The owner is a moron who complains about everything having to do with East River.
This is unfortunate because I also preferred it to Little Woodrows- there are less sports douchebags hanging out at TNP.

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

The parcels fronting the road appear to be slated for future multi-family, judging by the renderings. This would probably encourage transit use more than having the retail on the road.

Doubt that...On many levels. I know the owner pretty well, and he has got no problem with East River. In fact he is pretty good friends with people of Midway, who are anoung his customers. TNP has big plans for the future. 

I think I may know who you are referring to. But, I assure you that they are not the one who is running the place. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Triton said:

What type of theatre are we talking about here?

Undoubtedly a movie theater. Hopefully we finally get our first in the loop Alamo Draft House. 

Hopefully, in addition to a theater, the first phase includes a Grocery Store and a Gym of some sort. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Triton said:

What type of theatre are we talking about here?

From the renders/ floor plans it looks like a movie theater. Could be an Alamo Drafthouse, but judging from the aesthetic they are trying to go for it looks like it will be some kind of specialty/boutique kind of theater which could be interesting. Whats really cool is that its not just the theater, but it will have a full floor of ground floor retail at the bottom. That would be unique if that bottom part could be a grocer with a movie theater on top. I don't know any examples of that kind of combination. Thats speculation, but look at the vastness of the open plan for the ground floor retail it looks like a pitch to large format retail anchor tenant. The higher ceiling on that first floor could be plenty of space for a grocer. Logistics to make something like that work would be fun to work out.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

I dont think you could do a full grocery store below this... Maybe something like a phonecia? They seem to have a space marked for a brewery here. Would be nice to have a winery in there too. More entertainment focused. 

You're totally right, I didn't even notice the largest building that isn't the proposed theater or the museum is just over 11,000 SQ Ft.  Maybe we will see that they are going to use the land at Canal/Navigation/Runnels for a more centralized store, closer to Downtown and East Downtown.

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

If not Alamo Draft House, a boutique type cinema would be nice too. We have a Violet Crown here in Santa Fe, NM and it’s really nice. I feel since AMC bought out Sundance downtown there has a been a real void of this type cinema on this side of town. 

Is the “anchor tenant” below the cinema where the grocery store is to go? It is the largest retail space at 27k sq. ft. Unless by grocery store, you mean Sprouts or Trader Joe’s which utilize smaller footprints?

• Like 3

Just now, intencity77 said:

If not Alamo Draft House, a boutique type cinema would be nice too. We have a Violet Crown here in Santa Fe, NM and it’s really nice. I feel since AMC bought out Sundance downtown there has a been a real void of this type cinema in town. 

Is the “anchor tenant” below the cinema where the grocery store is to go? It is the largest retail space at 27k sq. ft. Unless by grocery store, you mean Sprouts or Trader Joe’s which utilize smaller footprints?

Thats a great example. I lean more to a boutique based on the layout itself. They are smaller more intimate theater settings which is the upcoming trend for theaters. Thats how they are going to survive and thrive is if they switch from a generic suburban model to a model that is reminiscent of the grand theaters that once existed. Just the look of the building itself says: I'm unique and interesting.

27k is a very large space and could be plenty of room for a grocer of whatever kind. It would be a great idea to keep that place active at all hours with a greater variety of people than just ones seeking entertainment. I could image it being an interesting setting where one goes to see a matinee and then goes to the grocer before going home. Lots of possibilities. We have to get our minds out of the idea of a big box store and bring in the idea of urban setting. Urban settings that I've been to have this kind of flexibility and wide range of uses.